1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

This spring harvested wheat has lost some colour and weight. (58 pounds per bushel) but it was already grading feed last October like all the rest of my wheat. Getting pretty dry here and with the crazy winds blowing it could be damaging the emerging crops. Hope the wind stops and we get a little shower soon. Not much more than the usual amount of ticks here. I've found one so far.  

Alot of guys are just burning the wheat fields here. Not many combining it so I'm guessing it's pretty bad. Last spring ours made a 2 yet but never had any out this spring so no idea what it's like. The canola doesn't look as good this spring but I'm sure it will be a 2 yet

Ticks have been out for over a week here now. Couple a day is normal

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

Had another crazy storm roll through about an hour ago. Another 1/2 inch of rain from it. Looked alot worse to the east again. They are really getting hammered over there. Roads and bridges washed out

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Good day to clean the combine that’s for sure. Dust will land somewhere in Manitoba lol. 

That's what all the dust here was from today lol.

Crazy wind here today again. Yesterday was a strong east wind, today north west. Almost got too windy spreading fertilizer and blowing canola on, but we were able to finish the field. Had a good run the last few days. Down to the last couple hundred acres. We could really use a nice shower again, but not for a couple days so we can wrap it up lol

• Like 1
On 5/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

I was starting to wonder if you’d given up on us lol. Everything seems to be late around here this year too thanks to the late spring. Trees that should be done blooming are just budding out now. Grass is starting to take off now and I’m sure the weeds will follow now that the soil is warmed up some. 

No I've just been going steady. I'm probably 20 pages behind on the coffee shop side already. Or 20 pages on the joke thread anyway lol. Alot of late nights and early mornings and back to work the past 2 weeks. I can't wait to sit back and put my feet up......... maybe by January...... 😂

• Haha 1

Anyone else get frost this past weekend? I heard a few guys talking about maybe re seeding canola. I said ours was good. It was still in the bag 😂

We missed the frost but it got some canola about 10 miles south of us

It was actually too windy for cleaning the combine yesterday. Gusts made the dust blow back all over me so many times that my eyes are still burning from it. 

I don't have any seeding video put together yet but here is some of me with the anhydrous application from this spring. Including getting stuck in the mud and pulled out. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, db1486 said:

Alot of guys are just burning the wheat fields here. Not many combining it so I'm guessing it's pretty bad. Last spring ours made a 2 yet but never had any out this spring so no idea what it's like. The canola doesn't look as good this spring but I'm sure it will be a 2 yet

Ticks have been out for over a week here now. Couple a day is normal

That’s a sad end to a years hard work. 

Ticks seem to come in waves here usually really bad in the spring and then they seem to flare up a bit in August or sept again. Awful things and one of them is to many in my books lol. 

You missed out on another banned joke thread lol. New ones already 20 some pages long. I haven’t even opened it yet to tell you the truth lol. 

Things are calming down a bit here now again. Not quite as much rushing around at least. 

I was out at about 4:45 the one morning and there was a tiny bit of frost on the quad seat nothing on the vehicles though. Don’t think it hurt anything. Canola is just starting to poke up now. I was out looking at it last night and you could make out the odd row when you got down on the ground.

17 hours ago, db1486 said:

Anyone else get frost this past weekend? I heard a few guys talking about maybe re seeding canola. I said ours was good. It was still in the bag 😂

Yes we got some frost in my area in Southern Manitoba, walked threw the early seeded corn and it has frost damage so has the alfalfa that survived the winter (lots of winter kill though)

3 hours ago, U-C said:

Yes we got some frost in my area in Southern Manitoba, walked threw the early seeded corn and it has frost damage so has the alfalfa that survived the winter (lots of winter kill though)

Was it bad enough to kill or just set it back?  Still crossing my fingers here. Canola is just coming up and it’s oretty sensitive now. Still hopping I don’t have to spray again for flea beetles too. Doesn’t cost much for the chemical but it’s a pain none the less. 

Canola is coming up better than expected here. I seeded it a little deeper than I normally do and figured I might not see it for a while. This field done on May 21 is already showing a lot of plants on June 2. Really hoping the flea beetles don't show up. This picture I took yesterday showing the plants. And my boot for size reference. 

IMG_1312.JPG

• Like 1

looks good ralph, no worries I always seed it deeper than I should and it always sseems to work out, no frost here but did have 2 tenth of rain yesterday and now a crazy wind today, took day off of hauling grain, last time I opened the tarp in a wind like this it cost me 500 bucks, the tarp shaft buckled and flew across the trailer and what a mess, got a friend to straighten and weld it back 

peas are really commin now soon to spray sounds like rain on the way for the weekend so probably spray next week 

Neighbor seeding with his discer and White / Minneapolis tractor 

CCF4D903-2935-4FF3-8637-8F933A1F2B84.thumb.jpeg.f5ff4e35d69dcacf7faf71cde8146f98.jpeg19EDDC20-B6C6-4AD9-B67B-227A01E4B090.thumb.jpeg.7d4a3bfc21a325dccb0e57d158be5b2a.jpeg

• Like 2

I am not sure yet what he seeded but its usually buckwheat or oats

• Like 2
7 hours ago, U-C said:

I am not sure yet what he seeded but its usually buckwheat or oats

Not to often you see that combination in the field any more used to be a pretty common sight around here at one time though. Still see the odd discer come through the auctions from time to time. Neighbors got a white tractor very similar to that as well yet. Actually two of them the older ones actually a cockshut but same difference. 

First barley I seeded is coming up real nice now. Wheat is mostly all up. Canola is pushing its way through. Still can’t look at a field and sat yup there’s the rows but if you get down on the ground you can pick out the rows in places. Spots where it didn’t go in as deep or the shanks are a bit shallower. There’s one section on our drill that doesn’t go in quite as deep. I monkeyed around with it a few years ago and fought to get it to where it is. Called it good enough and never looked back. The rest usually catches up pretty quick once it’s out of the ground. Come fall it may be a couple days behind but nothing huge. 

Rained a little at home tonight. Enough the dirt picked up in the fields and around the yard. Couple miles north there was nothing though. Awful wind all day here again too. Hauled a bit of grain in this morning  and then did a bunch of work around the yard. 

• Like 1
On 6/2/2020 at 5:54 PM, U-C said:

That's not good. I guess it was a much more widespread frost than I thought.  The alfalfa here got hit pretty hard this spring but it's coming along nicely now. The older fields are not good but anything newer should pull through just fine 

Well we more or less finished seeding yesterday. Just some greenfeed yet to put in and one field where we had to leave a bunch. It dried right up now so will sow it down. The wheat is up pretty good there, and I'm sure our first fields are are solid rows, but haven't checked yet. Past 2 days was rain clouds all around and come very close to us but never got anything more than a dew drops. I really hope that is not the way the year is going to turn out again. It is dryed out pretty good now from all this wind we've been getting

• Like 2

Good to hear you got things wrapped up. Rained here again. Still a few guys seeding yet here. 

Canola is starting to shoot up now a little bit looking like flea beetles won’t be a issue yet anyways. Cold and rainy weather doesn’t help their cause any I’m sure. Maybe this wind blew them all away too. Everyday almost it’s been blowing something terrible. Looks kind of nice out this morning but I bet out in the open it’s still cool. 

Mess some odd clouds floating around last night. Was a storm rolled through just west of us. About a hour later a cloud came back over it’s tracks going back again. Had what at first glance looked like a big funnel cloud going up and down. I watched it for about 10 minutes and couldn’t  see any rotation to it so hopefully it was nothing.   Yard was just starting to dry up and then it rained again. 

73EB3F52-1171-48B5-A7B0-F8E7E8CBCA8F.jpeg

39B26090-C3FB-4BAE-BE2B-2A1C9B0BC61E.jpeg

Went out and checked mine tonight. Small fields coming up pretty nice. Big one has a little catching up to do yet though. Still a bit patchy. Seems some spots got in deeper then others. Dug down and I was surprised at how cold the soil still is even on sandier ground. Need some nice warm weather and unfortunately the forecast isn’t looking great for that. 

BE74BE46-6EEF-4688-8840-92CCD954FC03.jpeg

84A444FB-48C9-45B1-BF6A-5F89B0309FEF.png

57 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Went out and checked mine tonight. Small fields coming up pretty nice. Big one has a little catching up to do yet though. Still a bit patchy. Seems some spots got in deeper then others. Dug down and I was surprised at how cold the soil still is even on sandier ground. Need some nice warm weather and unfortunately the forecast isn’t looking great for that. 

Lots of rain in your forecast. I don't think we have had a half inch since the snow melted. Surface is really dry here. Surprising how well the canola is coming up. So dry means not too bad for weeds yet. We got our first decent day in a week that is was fit to spray so I got a couple of tanks sprayed on the chem fallow. Fog so thick this morning that I didn't get rolling til 10:00 and with 30 miles of road driving I was lucky to get that much done. Tomorrow they are talking 80 kph wind gusts so I guess the sprayer will sit a while.

18 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Lots of rain in your forecast. I don't think we have had a half inch since the snow melted. Surface is really dry here. Surprising how well the canola is coming up. So dry means not too bad for weeds yet. We got our first decent day in a week that is was fit to spray so I got a couple of tanks sprayed on the chem fallow. Fog so thick this morning that I didn't get rolling til 10:00 and with 30 miles of road driving I was lucky to get that much done. Tomorrow they are talking 80 kph wind gusts so I guess the sprayer will sit a while.

If we get that much we’ll have water laying all over again. Fields are doing good yet. Just enough moisture to maintain the subsoil moisture but not so much that we’re drowning or the sloughs are filling up again.  I’m really hopping it stays that way and we actually get some nice warm calm days for a change. Seems it’s either cold this spring or blowing a 100 mph.  Haven’t had many actual nice days. 

10 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

BE74BE46-6EEF-4688-8840-92CCD954FC03.jpeg

84A444FB-48C9-45B1-BF6A-5F89B0309FEF.png

Our forecast looked the exact same as yours a few days ago for this weekend and next week. Now it looks like this! That's how it's been the past years. They call for big rains and we get nothing. I really hope that doesn't happen again. Too much money sitting in the ground right now.

Screenshot_20200606-090153_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6fa2ebdac293eb2cf100ea1820cf02aa.jpg

Screenshot_20200606-090532_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ed652cd3c64f5f2326d2a86630414ce0.jpg

Still calling for around 10mm today and 10-20mm tomorrow then they just say rain for Monday now. Environment Canada and the weather network never seem to completely agree and yet neither is correct most of the time lol. 

Had a real  good rain here yesterday morning. Must have been a good 3/4 inch. Ground still picks up on th boots in the fields this morning. We got one day quiet enough to spray on Friday. Otherwise wild and crazy wind blowing all day and night. I took this shot of my last seeded wheat field this morning. Its looking pretty good. Guess the weeds will start to grow now that it has rained some. 

15 wheat June 8.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good Ralph  

We ended up with around 1.5 inches. Water is starting. To lay in the fields again so I hope we don’t get much more for a while. Really if we get another inch or so in July now we don’t need another rain till after harvest I don’t think. Unless it turns 30°c everyday and 60 mph winds. Things sure aren’t growing much in this cool damp weather. Need some nice warm weather to get stuff going. 

I went for a quad ride yesterday to open up a few trails again but someone beat me to it. Have kind of a secret spot where I occasionally go where my grandfather used to log and had a sawmill set up. Someone else has followed the creek to the river and cleared a walking trail.  I just hope it stays a walking trail if a whole bunch of quads start going through it will wreck the area. 

Still quite a bit of ice along the river in places  

53121705-DD33-4994-9404-5DB98F31BE57.jpeg

9D6FB2C4-ECF0-48A4-95BA-0C7FFB45FBFD.jpeg

B13713BE-430C-4537-84CD-B49E5929179F.jpeg

B44E21B3-C97D-4C53-AA8D-04E0A8CC6532.jpeg

85C0E128-FAD5-4918-82DD-FA601D3E594A.jpeg

3C3AAE5B-8885-4FFB-81A5-BD1F6BE1EA74.jpeg

• Like 1

Neighbours gauge showed a inch but they figured the wind blew some over the top so it’s still up for debate what we actually had for rain. One things for certain, everything is mud around here yet and will be for a few days yet.

Weeds are starting to come here n the canola so hopefully we get some nice weather in the next week or so.