• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

Had another crazy storm roll through about an hour ago. Another 1/2 inch of rain from it. Looked alot worse to the east again. They are really getting hammered over there. Roads and bridges washed out

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Posted Images

PFL those are some beautiful places quadding on the river, nice inlets, glad to hear your almost wrapped up next time might be on sleds😳

• Like 1
10 hours ago, farmer john 8910 said:

Still just getting a good start here, been messing around putting up some used bins 

BA711712-37FA-49DF-9EDE-AA2435FE0DC7.jpeg

ACBCF80B-14AA-4B9B-B050-121C456ABB51.jpeg

77803A3B-3198-4DDC-BADB-3FC54D6A6AEE.jpeg

Always nice to have extra storage.  To a untrained wheat farmers eye it looks like the wind got to it a bit. Any trouble combining it? Hopefully it’s yeilding good. 

26 minutes ago, hardtail said:

PFL those are some beautiful places quadding on the river, nice inlets, glad to hear your almost wrapped up next time might be on sleds😳

Those first pics are about 17 miles from the Nipawin hydro dam so it’s backed up some from there. Resivoir is called Codette Lake. We used to go boating/sea doing at the ski hill up stream from there but haven’t now for years. After the break up this spring the ice jam moved a tremendous amount of dirt and debris. Looking down from the bridge crossing you can see trash and sand bars all over now. Would be hard to even navigate through there I think. It’s unreal how that ice jam changed the river bed. These pics were taken when the river was still fairly high. It’s dropped some now and is even worse.  The last pic has always been there but it’s expanded some this year again. 

618E80A6-167B-4F2D-870F-2DF305242D71.jpeg

05592A16-5BA7-4C76-A4DF-C3D6856402F3.jpeg

51F90DA0-F4CA-4E46-B8DC-08637E86EFE9.jpeg

6 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Always nice to have extra storage.  To a untrained wheat farmers eye it looks like the wind got to it a bit. Any trouble combining it? Hopefully it’s yeilding good. 

It’s not too bad anything broke over is a couple feet up so I’m getting it all. Yields are all over the place but better than expected not seeing a lot under 165 in Hills low ground is very good

• Like 1
3 hours ago, farmer john 8910 said:

It’s not too bad anything broke over is a couple feet up so I’m getting it all. Yields are all over the place but better than expected not seeing a lot under 165 in Hills low ground is very good

Good to hear. I can only imagine what a pain it would be to deal with when it’s broke off down low. Just finding the rows would be challenging enough I imagine. 

Nice picture icon_thumbup.gif

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, IH Forever said:

Just a few corn harvest pictures. And a pretty sunset picture.

Great job capturing that sunset , you must have a good camera or a good phone, I have tried to get that picture lately and it never turns out near as good as yours. 

667AAE9B-22C6-4CA1-97D3-33A93CC12AAA.jpeg

How’s everyone making out? @db1486 you guys manage to get some decent harvest weather finally?  Been freezing my bit off here the last couple days. Today wasn’t quite as bad but yesterday was awful. Been working with the cat leveling out some ditches and clearing a little bit of brush. Got cold enough yesterday I went and turned the blades on the fan so I could get some heat lol.  Was actually quite comfy tonight when I quit was almost to hit actually lol. The ground is very dry and hard now though  the dirt rolls out to powder infront if the blade. Going to be a dry year if we don’t get some snow and a little rain next spring  

575DC003-B031-417F-A004-E935D79A39A6.jpeg

Well I guess this might be the last update from me for anything crop related. Been busy with the cat clearing some brush around some old sloughs that have mostly dried up now. Lots of dead willows and small poplar. Few larger ones too but nothing to crazy. 

Mom and dad went for a load of firewood the other day and drove by my land that I rent, they were surprised to see it mostly all worked up. Kind of left a uneasy feeling as no one knew what was going on for sure. Next day I drove out and had a look. They’d worked almost the whole thing and then just quit so I figured something was up. Talked to the fellow who owns the land and he didn’t know anything about it either so that left me a little bit more at ease. Talked to a neighbour after that works for the bigger farmer on the reserve and sure enough one of their new hired hands took their tractor and high speed disc over it lol. Part of it i wanted worked but it’s so dry here now I kind of hated to do it all. They didn’t get to the one spot I’d like to have worked but covered all the other ones so it’s kind of a mixed blessing. They started on the side that head the heaviest straw cover so that part was kind of good  Would’ve of been nice if they’d called us and let us know anyways. If they’d done it all I would’ve offered to chip in for the fuel at least lol. 

No snow here yet to speak of. Little further south they had 2-3 inches though. 

Hauling grain tomorrow and hopefully cleaning up the wheat pile we have on the ground.  Would sure be nice to have that picked up before it snows. 

47881F04-2350-4221-A5D5-3EA3DE2FBB18.jpeg

EB1AA92B-C023-45F9-B6F9-DF6532DAD831.jpeg

313C4945-3602-4354-8B68-A4E646D3AC2B.jpeg

74B7FF90-916E-4411-A897-56492F496C9D.jpeg

ya just been tinkering around aswell rented a breaking disk trying to shrink some of these sloughs at have been getting bigger and selling some grain for november pick up, few snow flakes every now and then this morning it was lightly white but melted off, winds has been cold thou 

could use a cat like yours for a few days i got one quarter that has some bluffs on it that i think would stay dry and be able to farm through if they were cleaned up 

atleast it was just a high speed disk my neighbour had a quarter section seeded by the new btos that moved into the area one year haha 

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 8:27 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

How’s everyone making out? @db1486 you guys manage to get some decent harvest weather finally?  Been freezing my bit off here the last couple days. Today wasn’t quite as bad but yesterday was awful. Been working with the cat leveling out some ditches and clearing a little bit of brush. Got cold enough yesterday I went and turned the blades on the fan so I could get some heat lol.  Was actually quite comfy tonight when I quit was almost to hit actually lol. The ground is very dry and hard now though  the dirt rolls out to powder infront if the blade. Going to be a dry year if we don’t get some snow and a little rain next spring  

575DC003-B031-417F-A004-E935D79A39A6.jpeg

We officially wrapped up harvest Monday night. Had about 4 acres of flax that was green yet when we combined the rest the week before. Had a pretty decent run weather wise. 2 weeks ago it was a drizzle or mist every day but somehow things got dry by evening so we could go for a couple hours. Wrapped up the oats and finished baling wheat and oat straw that week. Pulled in to the canola that Friday night and started on it. Next morning was so foggy and misty we thought would never be able to go but by dark it had dried up to around 10. Last of it was just over 9. We ran all night, got a little rest and kept rolling the next morning. Started raining that Sunday afternoon as we were picking up the last few swaths. Covered about 230 acres, and not all close fields, in about 18 hours. We were quite happy about that lol. At least the canola was done and we got to have Thanksgiving supper in the house lol. Was able to get rolling on flax this past Wednesday and finished up Thursday. And as crazy as it sounds, the flax was the best combining we had all fall. Just pulled in and did it with no troubles. Never wrapped on a single thing, and even the old 4000 with wore out guards did such a nice job cutting. And the straw was green! Moved in to the last field of wheat after that and finally finished it up on Saturday. 

Now as far as equipment running, this had to be the worst fall for breakdowns as far as I can remember. Everyday, other than the day on flax, something or multiple things kept happening. Needless to say, I have a some some fixing to do on the combine before next fall lol. The massey did not want to finish harvest this year. I had about 3 acres of wheat left and the cylinder belt blew all the cogs out of it. So the pull type finished up harvest this year lol. We even had the 914 going this year

• Like 1
On 10/20/2020 at 8:24 PM, wheatking said:

ya just been tinkering around aswell rented a breaking disk trying to shrink some of these sloughs at have been getting bigger and selling some grain for november pick up, few snow flakes every now and then this morning it was lightly white but melted off, winds has been cold thou 

could use a cat like yours for a few days i got one quarter that has some bluffs on it that i think would stay dry and be able to farm through if they were cleaned up 

atleast it was just a high speed disk my neighbour had a quarter section seeded by the new btos that moved into the area one year haha 

The cat comes in handy once in a while for sure. It’s old but it usually works trouble free. Having issues with the aspirator now though. Have a new one on order from korpan in Saskatoon. Hopefully it comes in tomorrow.  My air filter is plugging up with soot from the exhaust.  Hopping the new one fixed that issue. Getting sick of blowing it out every hour or two.  

Ive always been afraid of them spraying the wrong field with the wrong chemical on mine. Would make a mess in a hurry. Harvest time I always look to see if my crop is still there too lol.  If they seeded it with lots of N and the proper seed I guess that wouldn’t be so bad lol. 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, db1486 said:

We officially wrapped up harvest Monday night. Had about 4 acres of flax that was green yet when we combined the rest the week before. Had a pretty decent run weather wise. 2 weeks ago it was a drizzle or mist every day but somehow things got dry by evening so we could go for a couple hours. Wrapped up the oats and finished baling wheat and oat straw that week. Pulled in to the canola that Friday night and started on it. Next morning was so foggy and misty we thought would never be able to go but by dark it had dried up to around 10. Last of it was just over 9. We ran all night, got a little rest and kept rolling the next morning. Started raining that Sunday afternoon as we were picking up the last few swaths. Covered about 230 acres, and not all close fields, in about 18 hours. We were quite happy about that lol. At least the canola was done and we got to have Thanksgiving supper in the house lol. Was able to get rolling on flax this past Wednesday and finished up Thursday. And as crazy as it sounds, the flax was the best combining we had all fall. Just pulled in and did it with no troubles. Never wrapped on a single thing, and even the old 4000 with wore out guards did such a nice job cutting. And the straw was green! Moved in to the last field of wheat after that and finally finished it up on Saturday. 

Now as far as equipment running, this had to be the worst fall for breakdowns as far as I can remember. Everyday, other than the day on flax, something or multiple things kept happening. Needless to say, I have a some some fixing to do on the combine before next fall lol. The massey did not want to finish harvest this year. I had about 3 acres of wheat left and the cylinder belt blew all the cogs out of it. So the pull type finished up harvest this year lol. We even had the 914 going this year

Awesome nice to have it done and not have to worry about it come spring. 

Usually after a fall like that you’re good for a few years again though lol. I’ve got a list for next year too few big things and fair bit of little things too. 

Did your waterpump repair work out? Nice to have the backup machines around just incase. 

You thinking about snowmobiling yet? I know I have been lol. Haven’t had time to go through mine yet. Between running around doing odd jobs, working with the cat/hoe and helping dad haul grain there hasn’t been much free time.  

Went to haul the last of the wheat pile I’m this morning and the auger motor went to heck. Started smoking real bad. Was pushing oil up the breather line and spitting it back into the carb making it look like a giant smudge lol. No mosquitoes in sight anyways lol. Got the pile loaded with my swing away and headed to town auger shopping. Brought home a new meridian 10x46. Stupid expensive these days but the dealer did what he could. 

E40933D9-BE83-4089-9E7A-78B5105D00BA.jpeg

I'm almost done with rice harvest. It very late this year, should be done in September. This is a pic of me harvesting a levee after harvesting the paddy rice. 

My 1460 is a 79 model rice special, 41st harvest. Probably the only 1460 that still cuts rice in the US.

Crap, the pic is sideways.

Photo0526.jpg

• Like 2