Saw some corn coming out here in Iowa Saturday. There was a serious cloud of BLACK dust coming out of the combines, mold I assume. The corn was down but not nearly as bad as some of it around here.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

Had another crazy storm roll through about an hour ago. Another 1/2 inch of rain from it. Looked alot worse to the east again. They are really getting hammered over there. Roads and bridges washed out

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Posted Images

10 hours ago, wheatking said:

working away here as well nothing to exciting to report finished the canola, the straight cutting worked out well, into the wheat now yeilding ok not as well as the straw looks but the bins are filling, will be an average year here i think for the most part 

Ralph what are you farming for land acre wise you seem to cover abit of ground for a mostly one man band 

It might look like a lot but only because I am slow moving 🙂 I have around 600 acres to combine total. Around 300 in summerfallow if anybody still remembers what that is. I always have a trucker to help at harvest time plus a mechanic to help fix whatever breaks. Meals by my sister in law and we can move a convoy of machinery and trucks from one farm to another four at a time usually. All family help which works out great. In a good day I'll do sixty acres but not all days are good.  We cleaned off the oat field yesterday in an afternoon and changed to the big 22 foot header last night ready to try wheat again today. I don't dessicate like most around do so my wheat takes a little longer to get the green out.  Got some oat harvest video to upload when time permits. If I can work today without holdups I should be just over half finished harvest. Rain coming tomorrow. 

IMG_1623[1].JPG

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Loadstar said:

It might look like a lot but only because I am slow moving 🙂 I have around 600 acres to combine total. Around 300 in summerfallow if anybody still remembers what that is.

Summerfallow is one of the best practices I think it was used in Europe from the early Middle ages till 1800s when the fallow fields got seeded in clover for green feed. Hope the weather doesn't bring any snow like last year that we can get everything finished

• Like 1
On 5/18/2020 at 11:36 AM, toyboy said:

20200417_162631.jpg

20200505_171704.jpg

20200505_174717.jpg

20200507_145105.jpg

20200505_175212.jpg

20200508_165340.jpg

20200514_145424.jpg

20200518_071522.jpg

I see your growing Coors ,Never grew coors before ! ,how many bushel to the acre do you plant? I might try it ?👀

Took a sample of canola this morning and it was dry with 1% green seed. Straw on the other hand wasn’t. I had the spreaders off as I was going to check it and make sure it wasn’t throwing over. You could bale behind it easily I’m sure. Went into a semi light 30’ swath. Figured I could boot along pretty good. 10’ in and the old ih was begging for mercy lol. Had to slow down to a crawl. We decided to leave it for a couple hours. Sun was out for a bit but then it proceeded to rain again. Quite the thunder storm actually. I was hauling some dirt with the old Ih and quit because the lightning was getting so frequent and close. Opened up a poured down shortly after too. Will be no combining for a few days now. Little over 1/2” now. It’s soaking in quick though. 

4 hours ago, IH Forever said:

Doesn't look like a very good drying day.😄

Lol no for sure not. Ended up with just shy of 3/4” overall. Rained for part of the night again.  Everything’s nice and sloppy this morning. 

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Lol no for sure not. Ended up with just shy of 3/4” overall. Rained for part of the night again.  Everything’s nice and sloppy this morning. 

Man, you sure didin't need that rain now. We got lucky with only a light shower last night. It shut me down earlly but I'm hoping to maybe try later this afternoon on the standing wheat just to finish that field. Only about a truck load or so left. Sure yielding nice and the quality looks ok too. 64 pounds per bushel by my measure. Moisture was 15.1% as the low spots had some green wheat and weeds in them. Luckily the high spots were good and dry so it is safe enough to bin. Still got 180 acres wheat and 65 canola to do. We only get a few days at a time and then rain shuts harvest down and we sit and wait for it to dry. Gave me a chance to take a few pictures this morning. 

Merc Pano Sep 21.jpg

• Like 1

I saw Loadstar had the last post.

Had to check in--------was hoping he had done us an "interview" with the Loadstar's glasspacks.😎

Good luck to everyone with their harvest--------be careful.

DD

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

I saw Loadstar had the last post.

Had to check in--------was hoping he had done us an "interview" with the Loadstar's glasspacks.😎

Good luck to everyone with their harvest--------be careful.

DD

Hi Anson. Been too busy to post much for video lately but did get one tonight showing the oat harvest last week. No sound but a little bit of moving video with the old Loadstar 1600. Its handling some big loads of grain way over the rated GVW. Short hauls though. Had to clean up a spark plug to get all 8 cylinders pulling on the little 304 and its sounding good. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Hi Anson. Been too busy to post much for video lately but did get one tonight showing the oat harvest last week. No sound but a little bit of moving video with the old Loadstar 1600. Its handling some big loads of grain way over the rated GVW. Short hauls though. Had to clean up a spark plug to get all 8 cylinders pulling on the little 304 and its sounding good. 

Looks good. I had to pull the spark plugs on the old 1500 ih here too and clean. Carbs not set up correctly and they tend to foul up if it idles around to much. It’s no where near as nice as yours Ralph but it’s handy for moving a little bit of dirt or sawdust around. E82C4BCD-F965-42C0-9E25-77870E47F02C.thumb.jpeg.23446a778dc5d7b306dc011a50f8e284.jpeg

was out tonight checking swaths. Slight chance we can go tomorrow afternoon again. Out in the open the swaths have dried out not to bad. Along the bush they’re soaking wet though on our north quarter. 

Took a few pics of the sunset tonight. Took my old dirt bike out crop checking. Almost ran over that little coyote on my way up to have a look. Coming back he was still in the ditch so I spun around and came back and watched him for a bit. Wasn’t overly scared. Just a young one. B6E1CDAF-95A7-40BA-A496-A7EA4FA90AF6.thumb.jpeg.ec6efea97388a02b7e1e09d58989c04a.jpeg1C458383-AA91-41EC-9105-692D004CDC40.thumb.jpeg.53b1a49fd02e7cdcb24a7f3f9485e5c1.jpeg76311638-E14F-49BF-9A30-C39373875D95.thumb.jpeg.7fa0c24d43b9fb155d1ee8958f8daa2c.jpeg69A1B197-DE21-4EA3-A9BA-DDB6F770C69D.thumb.jpeg.c8f194ed5b060d9b87b0af3c2bc03704.jpeg

• Like 1

Well we’re maki g some headway. Down to the last 150 acres now. Went late last night and quit at avoitn 1:30 this morning.everything was full so I didn’t have much of a option. Coop brought out another bin this morning so we could keep going. Only problem is now it’s full and there’s no where to put grain again lol. Have to shuffle some wheat and barley around tomorrow morning and try and make some more room. May end up putting some wheat on the ground. Bins aren’t cheap so I hate to get another one out. Would look good siting there but the bank account looks better with the money on it lol.  Northern lights were out real bright tonight for a while. Been a few years since I’ve seen them that bright.  

A852919A-F0BF-420E-943E-1A067B693C01.jpeg

C1BD7450-444B-42E1-9C5D-F1D210DA6122.jpeg

DD15576D-4CC9-4AC5-B607-810D1DC37C48.jpeg

F2A5D691-0EF8-4D0A-8DA3-96B506E9E745.jpeg

2F775543-5868-4E9F-A437-BC538BCA39BF.jpeg

0F9D65CE-2841-45C7-ACBF-DE821B8D805B.jpeg

CAE8CD05-9654-4BAC-9DFA-91270F6E9579.jpeg

5C29B5D7-D9E0-4A5C-8143-FE444F7FF749.jpeg

7736B814-A72F-4D8C-AA95-023729583DD0.png

21 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Well we’re maki g some headway. Down to the last 150 acres now. Went late last night and quit at avoitn 1:30 this morning.everything was full so I didn’t have much of a option.

Kind of nice to have everything full and still crop to harvest. I made real progress this week too although I did put a load of 18% wheat in the bin just to finish a field after last weekend's rain. Got into the last field of canola. That tall Brett Young that was so hard to swath was just as hard to combine. Multiple feeder plugs on the 1660  nearly wore my back out on that big old feeder wrench. Electric reverser quit years ago and I don't often need it but this field was something else. It did not yield any better than the fields that were much easier to harvest. 

Worked til 1:00 am last night to finish at my brother's farm and got everything moved home (in light rain) mid day today. Sitting in the shed waiting for weather to improve and I can do the last 110 acres of standing wheat. 

• Like 1

We have started to combine our soybeans three or four days ago there about 13% moisture not sure about the yield yet till the bin is full. During the growing season it got some hail so the yield will be lower. One field was pretty good but the other one that will be yet to combine and this one got the most hail back then and lots of weeds lol.

been goin on and off the last while down to about 500 acres left, wheat isn't yielding as well as I hoped a lot of straw but not a very big head on it, not sure what really happened? getting soil test done this fall to see if maybe I'm missing or lacking something, the new durum seed i bought this year did a lot better so maybe my wheat seed is getting tired? i'm considering switching over to Brandon wheat seed heard good things about Landmark to so may try to track some if it down for next year  

8 hours ago, wheatking said:

been goin on and off the last while down to about 500 acres left, wheat isn't yielding as well as I hoped a lot of straw but not a very big head on it, not sure what really happened? getting soil test done this fall to see if maybe I'm missing or lacking something, the new durum seed i bought this year did a lot better so maybe my wheat seed is getting tired? i'm considering switching over to Brandon wheat seed heard good things about Landmark to so may try to track some if it down for next year  

I know Brandon was the wheat to grow a couple years ago. Now I don't hear hardly a thing about it. Redberry seems to be the spring wheat that everyone is going to now around here. We're thinking of trying some next year too. The problem for us with all these new wheat and oat varieties is they are going to shorter straw, which is no good for us cattle guys. 

Harvest has been going here, progress is slow though lol. No long days. Seems to be about 6pm us when things hit dry and by 9 there is heavy dew. I did go till 2am the first night, and I think we got one day till midnight. Seems to be rain or just a damp day every 3 days or so. Just gets dry and then drizzles enough to stop production. At least we are getting dry grain this year. Haven't had that for 3 years now lol. This fall also seems to be the fall of piddly little breakdowns that really add up lol. Bearing #5 this year went out on my baler, then a couple days later the exact same one went on dads baler lol. Last Saturday was the worst. Tire started leaking fluid on my baling tractor. So left that and went combining. Then PTO clutches went out on 1486, then the grain truck quit with about 600 bushels of heavy wheat lol. Good thing I had the duramax there cause I hooked the strap up and pulled him home. Almost pulled better than the 427 in that truck 😂

Good thing we have spare parts here though. Had a good used distributor so got the truck going next day. Till the starter locked up and shorted out a couple days later. Melted a bunch of wiring. Its running again now lol. Then swapped PTO out of the 1486 with a 1000 only unit we picked up at a sale. So that was back in business. Next day we pulled the tire apart and valvestem was broke. Tire looked ok so new tube and back in business. Baled for a few days and all looked good. Went to move to another field Friday night and tire was low again. So pulled it apart again and see there was a big rip inside on the sidewall. Definitely didn't see that the first time. Got that fixed up and I was pumping fluid back in the tire and the alternator flew apart on the tractor and the live post was arcing on the water filter fitting. Flames were starting there but lucky everything is clean there and nothing to burn. And I was right there when it happened so was able to pry it away. We finally got the battery cables off before more flames started. Was smoking pretty good from under the dash but everything looks ok and is working good. But it sure is funny how things work out. If that tire hadn't been low I would've been baling on a wheat field with heavy straw. There for sure would've been a fire. When that arced I wouldn't have seen it from the cab and all it takes is a couple sparks to drop. That field is surrounded by cabins and houses too. I always heard and say things happen for a reason. Sure did this time!

Let's hope this week goes more normal lol.

Oh ya need a water pump for our massey/claas with the Mercedes motor. Found out yesterday it is discontinued through Agco. So now I gotta find a truck dealer that handles mercedes engine parts. Anyone know which trucks run mercedes motors? Freightliner maybe? I remember looking at a sterling that had one too. Be busy on the phone tomorrow I guess lol

Rained out today again. No more progress either. Well aside from the 75 bushels I took off this morning lol.  Dad waisted the day yesterday dealing with that wheat from last year. Should’ve had that quarter done yesterday or at least very close.  Was going to go today again but the straw was horribly tough. Rotor losses were going through the roof on the monitor. Played around with concave and rotor speed settings on the fly but nothing really seemed to help. Straw was coming out in chunks. The stalks were almost intact yet. Huge change from the other day where it was just powder coming out the back.  Rained off and on this afternoon and eventually shut everyone else down too. 

12 hours ago, db1486 said:

Harvest has been going here, progress is slow though lol. No long days. Seems to be about 6pm us when things hit dry and by 9 there is heavy dew. I did go till 2am the first night, and I think we got one day till midnight. Seems to be rain or just a damp day every 3 days or so. Just gets dry and then drizzles enough to stop production. At least we are getting dry grain this year. Haven't had that for 3 years now lol. This fall also seems to be the fall of piddly little breakdowns that really add up lol. Bearing #5 this year went out on my baler, then a couple days later the exact same one went on dads baler lol. Last Saturday was the worst. Tire started leaking fluid on my baling tractor. So left that and went combining. Then PTO clutches went out on 1486, then the grain truck quit with about 600 bushels of heavy wheat lol. Good thing I had the duramax there cause I hooked the strap up and pulled him home. Almost pulled better than the 427 in that truck 😂

Good thing we have spare parts here though. Had a good used distributor so got the truck going next day. Till the starter locked up and shorted out a couple days later. Melted a bunch of wiring. Its running again now lol. Then swapped PTO out of the 1486 with a 1000 only unit we picked up at a sale. So that was back in business. Next day we pulled the tire apart and valvestem was broke. Tire looked ok so new tube and back in business. Baled for a few days and all looked good. Went to move to another field Friday night and tire was low again. So pulled it apart again and see there was a big rip inside on the sidewall. Definitely didn't see that the first time. Got that fixed up and I was pumping fluid back in the tire and the alternator flew apart on the tractor and the live post was arcing on the water filter fitting. Flames were starting there but lucky everything is clean there and nothing to burn. And I was right there when it happened so was able to pry it away. We finally got the battery cables off before more flames started. Was smoking pretty good from under the dash but everything looks ok and is working good. But it sure is funny how things work out. If that tire hadn't been low I would've been baling on a wheat field with heavy straw. There for sure would've been a fire. When that arced I wouldn't have seen it from the cab and all it takes is a couple sparks to drop. That field is surrounded by cabins and houses too. I always heard and say things happen for a reason. Sure did this time!

Let's hope this week goes more normal lol.

Oh ya need a water pump for our massey/claas with the Mercedes motor. Found out yesterday it is discontinued through Agco. So now I gotta find a truck dealer that handles mercedes engine parts. Anyone know which trucks run mercedes motors? Freightliner maybe? I remember looking at a sterling that had one too. Be busy on the phone tomorrow I guess lol

Hasn’t been to bad for break downs here yet. Few little things but nothing to major so far. Had a adjuster bolt brake on the clean grain elevator tensioner. Thought a bearing had gone at first as I noticed the bearing wasn’t siting square in the holder anymore. 

Got pretty lucky on tractor that’s for sure. I’m always afraid of fire this time of the year. Neighbour a mile south of our house had a combine burn up in his yard. Not sure what happened but it’s a total loss. Older John Deere 8820 so it’s not a huge financial hit but still not good. He has 2 so he can at least carry on combining. Was odd, I never even saw the smoke. I can see his yard from the field I was combining on. Been quite a few fires the last week. Lots of money gone up in smoke. No one injured that I’ve heard though so that’s the main thing. 

Hopefully you can track down a water pump. If you have trouble call Cropper motors at Naicam. They were pretty good with those combines and are still a agco dealer. They may have one or know where you can get one. They’re only 50 minutes south of me, we’ve gone down there for parts before. 

it drizzled and messed around all day yesterday so nothing got done, tried wheat today and up to 18% moist so nothing got done here, try again tommorow looks like the later wheat i seeded will out yeild the earlier stuff surprisingly  

@db1486 any luck finding a water pump? Western diesel in Saskatoon  is another spot where we’ve bought stuff like that before. If you know the model of the engine they may be able to find something for you. The older fellow that was really good passed away but there’s a lady there that is good at finding stuff too. The younger fellow is trying but he’s still learning.