Jump to content

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Frost overninght  in a lot of areas of Sask. but it missed me. Not that it would do much harm as the crop is advanced enough. Sky finally cleared today and I tried a sample of standing wheat. My earliest and latest fields. Surprisingly they both tested in the 16 to 16.6% moisture range. Combined real nice but I only did about 100 bushels. Try again tomorrow and will likely keep going as its getting well along in September and I usually have more done by this date. 

I'm hearing some reports of canola swath damage and also some damage to standing canola from the high winds on the weekend. i have not looked at mine. 

 

IMG_1606 (2).JPG

Tonight will the third night in a row for frost for us. The 2nd cut alfalfa definitely took a hit so far. Finished cutting canola today but I'm pretty sure it didnt affect if. Our wheat and oats should be dessicated by tomorrow lol

I had to make a parts run this morning, again, and by Brandon there is a fair bit of canola widths piled up. Not bad around home here. Some if the hills blew around but all of ours stayed put. 

We havent done a bushel yet so your not alone lol

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Had another crazy storm roll through about an hour ago. Another 1/2 inch of rain from it. Looked alot worse to the east again. They are really getting hammered over there. Roads and bridges washed out

Posted Images

got some canola done Saturday a little sprinkle and cool weather drove the moisture up and tough straw so sat for 2 days tried again today and was 10.7 and really tough straw yet 

hopefully we'll get at it this week and put some bushels in the bin, the swaths are holding fairly well yet 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, db1486 said:

Tonight will the third night in a row for frost for us. The 2nd cut alfalfa definitely took a hit so far. Finished cutting canola today but I'm pretty sure it didnt affect if. Our wheat and oats should be dessicated by tomorrow lol

I had to make a parts run this morning, again, and by Brandon there is a fair bit of canola widths piled up. Not bad around home here. Some if the hills blew around but all of ours stayed put. 

We havent done a bushel yet so your not alone lol

You guys can keep the frost!  I don't need any of that for at least another 2 weeks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mountain Heritage said:

You guys can keep the frost!  I don't need any of that for at least another 2 weeks!

You sure? We can share! Lol. Now if only we can get some sun. Turns out this morning there is no frost and no dew and +4 out, do maybe the change in weather is here!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the barley this morning. Had a wee bit left st home. Thought I could finish it las night but the combine filled up before I was done. I’d left a few slough bottoms that were green before so I was just cleaning up odds and ends. Maybe 3-4 acres. Ended up with 275 bushels from that little bit though so it was worth while chasing lol. Surprising as there wasn’t much of a swath in most places either.  Fee olaces I just left as it was almost pure foxtail. Figured no pin t spreading those seeds around any more then I had to. Probably burn them after we’re all done. I’m hopping to go on wheat tomorrow. Dad hauled some grain in to the elevator today and I was busy cleaning and servicing the combine. Got myself completely filthy. Had my safety glasses on so I could at least see after though. Dad took off with the semi and the dust masks are all in there. I’ll probably sound like I’ve got covid come morning lol. 

Did a little flying with the drone when we were finishing up. Got mom to drive the combine for a bit while dad was swathing. Shed never driven this one so I gave her a crash course and sent her on her way. She did just fine and didn’t wreck anything so it was ok lol. 

B1D814D9-DF8D-4CBB-9BAB-A991D40E3435.jpeg

F9F622DA-83FB-4023-98C3-E830B6F25386.jpeg

D14DD179-C6F5-4CEF-837C-77580A4FB5C1.jpeg

EEE9F1E7-586B-4221-828D-ABC530A4F744.png

CE877907-DD57-400F-B9ED-193BED48B8A8.png

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave up on the standing wheat at 17% and green kernels. Been going two days on canola at 7% and no green so I'll keep at that and hope when I'm done the wheat will be ready. Decent weather until this morning with a few spots of rain. Suns out. Guess I'll give it a try. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Gave up on the standing wheat at 17% and green kernels. Been going two days on canola at 7% and no green so I'll keep at that and hope when I'm done the wheat will be ready. Decent weather until this morning with a few spots of rain. Suns out. Guess I'll give it a try. 

Took a sample of wheat today and ours has some green in it too. Debating what to do. It’s only 40 some acres so it sure be nice to have it off and be done the cereals. Wheat looks decent aside from the green. Would be a shame if it sits and gets a couple Inches if rain on it too. It’s close to dry but not quite  our canola isn’t quite ready yet  haven’t taken a sample but I can find some green in the hollows. Very little now though so it won’t be to much longer  

Saw a bear out wandering around when we went back to get the combine  

 

47C8F56D-FF85-4CFB-9C0A-A9F461368A55.jpeg

FC91C190-F7DF-4D93-A42E-CF32D33D9528.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Took a sample of wheat today and ours has some green in it too. Debating what to do. It’s only 40 some acres so it sure be nice to have it off and be done the cereals. Wheat looks decent aside from the green. Would be a shame if it sits and gets a couple Inches if rain on it too. It’s close to dry but not quite  our canola isn’t quite ready yet  haven’t taken a sample but I can find some green in the hollows. Very little now though so it won’t be to much longer  

Saw a bear out wandering around when we went back to get the combine  

 

That wheat looks nice so hopefully you will get a chance to harvest before it rains more. We got shut down here at 5:30 with a fair long slow rain event that will (I think) keep us out of the field for the next day or so. I got a couple of loads of canola done after a late start. Just as the rain started the chain broke on my feeder reverser so I've got some fixing to do anyway. Getting close to half done on the canola. 

IMG_1610[1].JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s the nicest wheat we’ve grown in quite a few years so that’s why I’m contemplating risking it and taking it with the green. Wish I had a colour sorter seed cleaner lol.  It’s devatable if it’s worth it running it through the dryer too. Extra expense and handling probably isn’t worth the 30-50 cents a bushel we’d gain going from a #1 to a #2

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cereal grains are all done now. Got that last bit of wheat cleaned up this afternoon. Not to bad for green in it now so I think it will be fine. Elevator said that will disappear in their dryer anyways.  Had to use the Massey to finish up though. Went to set the ih yesterday for wheat and kept getting a fair bit of wheat in my sample tray. After a hour or so of playing around with rotor, fan, concave and sieve settings I figured something had to be up. Crawled under neath and sure enough the grain pan had been rubbing on the tailings auger trough. Someone has put some patches in there before me too. Not sure how far I’ll dig into it now. Hate to tear it all apart in the middle of harvest but that’s what I may end up doing. Canola is a few days away yet anyways.  Kind of wish we’d get a shot of rain now. 

278B4381-3D4F-414B-ABC8-D7F9FCDE2F50.jpeg

FE2D0674-1D73-41C7-A688-027F156D4125.jpeg

A0AD6382-4F5F-427E-832C-068ADA97475B.jpeg

C9CD04B3-1EA7-4C3B-A5E8-C38E36A093DA.jpeg

7561D920-0FAF-43AA-9E3B-C70C0F063EDC.jpeg

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see harvest is rolling along nicely for everyone. We finally got a few nice days last week so got the last of the slough hay rolled up. The one slough was much wetter than when dad cut it. I got stuck raking and boy was that a tough one to get out. Wasted half a day with that and then got stuck baling a few times too. Finally just left a few swaths. Not worth the hassle. Got started combining Friday. Got the first field of wheat off. Was testing 13, beautiful color, and seems heavy. Haven't had wheat that dry in a few years now, well other than when we dried it lol. Swathing the rest of the wheat though. Lots of green in it so not gonna wait for it standing. Hopefully start picking up oats tomorrow. Was 15.3 tonight and it was cloudy and high humidity all day so hopefully tomorrow is nicer. Canola has only been down a week and a half so that will be a bit yet too

Snapchat-2024421332.thumb.jpg.4ded6500639c79fc0bd2e15edd657372.jpg

Snapchat-521779539.thumb.jpg.f939f01fe58b8b97a6056ffaf72aac19.jpg

Snapchat-1365930687.thumb.jpg.cb78c84739f2e784ecee5ad593d3e03a.jpg

Snapchat-12358729.thumb.jpg.a699fb6a87182061d4955e19b3096d19.jpg

 

Snapchat-20341059.thumb.jpg.6b361bf1848716bfaa7ffa7a5be36e88.jpg

Snapchat-1053638359.thumb.jpg.5eecf7209a644d56e9076647dc737ad7.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you planted it pretty good lol. Everything’s dry enough here now you can drive almost anywhere again. Most sloughs are dry except for the deeper ones. 

Most guys have been going pretty hard here now since last wed or so. Canola is still iffy though. Not a lot of it off around here yet. Odd field here and there but the bulk of it is still out there. Talked to my brother in-law tonight and he said the same. Lots of guys are waiting as it’s not mature yet. I’m hopping by the weekend we can be going on canola. 

Got the ih all tore apart today. Not the most fun job but I got it done anyways. Mom came and helped with some of the hidden bolts where one person had to be inside and one outside. Kind of had to learn as I went as I wasn’t 100% sure how much stuff actually had to come out.  Parts are on order so hopefully get it back together before the weekend. 525$ for that piece of tin in the last picture though. Awful price for some thin sheet metal. 

F89B0A85-1041-47B8-921B-7722340588ED.jpeg

43FF4BC9-A63F-4921-AA82-7959311291C0.jpeg

A54E9520-4DE2-48DA-9667-E6A4DEF02444.jpeg

BA9701DB-72D1-4A26-A756-88F7D7FD01BB.jpeg

1720D03E-B283-4210-830A-D6110F17A7FE.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

my 1460 i had wore through i just bent a piece of tin under the combine and screwed it up with self tappers worked for a few years quite well that way,

 

harvest is goin slowly weather clouded up and humidity made the straw tough, got into straight cutting canola, if you haven't done it your not missing much i still prefer swathing and picking it up, tensioner fell apart on one side of the feederchain and piled it up and bent a few things spent alot of the day getting that back together ready to go tomorrow 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Looks like you planted it pretty good lol. Everything’s dry enough here now you can drive almost anywhere again. Most sloughs are dry except for the deeper ones. 

Most guys have been going pretty hard here now since last wed or so. Canola is still iffy though. Not a lot of it off around here yet. Odd field here and there but the bulk of it is still out there. Talked to my brother in-law tonight and he said the same. Lots of guys are waiting as it’s not mature yet. I’m hopping by the weekend we can be going on canola. 

Got the ih all tore apart today. Not the most fun job but I got it done anyways. Mom came and helped with some of the hidden bolts where one person had to be inside and one outside. Kind of had to learn as I went as I wasn’t 100% sure how much stuff actually had to come out.  Parts are on order so hopefully get it back together before the weekend. 525$ for that piece of tin in the last picture though. Awful price for some thin sheet metal. 

F89B0A85-1041-47B8-921B-7722340588ED.jpeg

43FF4BC9-A63F-4921-AA82-7959311291C0.jpeg

A54E9520-4DE2-48DA-9667-E6A4DEF02444.jpeg

BA9701DB-72D1-4A26-A756-88F7D7FD01BB.jpeg

1720D03E-B283-4210-830A-D6110F17A7FE.jpeg

I think I hit an old rut. The whole slough was spongy but wasn't too bad when we cut it. Solid ground all around the tire, just soft where it went down lol. After I got stuck I got to thinking and dad did get stuck bad there quite a few years back and I remember we had to unhook the baler and drag it out backwards. 99% sure that's the rut I hit lol. I was going along then could just feel the back tire just dropped. 9130 had a tough time getting traction to pull me out. This year has not been good for me and stucks lol. At least I didn't need a trackhoe this time 😂

Lots of canola left standing here this year. I guess guys are getting tired of picking up piles of canola. And on the other side of things, we got wheat laying in the swath for more than a day now. Haven't done that in 10 years, and that was only cause we were coming home with the swathers past that field. Otherwise been close to 20 years! Kinda a weird feeling. Hope it doesn't rain lol

Ahh I remember pulling the grain pan from the 1482 when I was small and could fit anywhere lol. I think we swapped one out of a parts combine, another one we welded up. It held for a good 10 years and is still in the combine but we parked that one 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wheatking said:

my 1460 i had wore through i just bent a piece of tin under the combine and screwed it up with self tappers worked for a few years quite well that way,

 

harvest is goin slowly weather clouded up and humidity made the straw tough, got into straight cutting canola, if you haven't done it your not missing much i still prefer swathing and picking it up, tensioner fell apart on one side of the feederchain and piled it up and bent a few things spent alot of the day getting that back together ready to go tomorrow 

This one had a similar patch put on the right hand side where it dumps into the tailings elevator and it had 2 other patches plus one spot where the corner cracked on the other end and was staring to leak. We had time to spare right now so I figured I’d just go ahead and fix it up properly and hopefully not have to worry about it again. 

Spray plane woke me up the other morning when he buzzed the house. Sprayed 3 quarters right next to us and he just had to do a low flyover the house lol. Fair bit of straight cut canola around here. Majority is still swathed though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, db1486 said:

I think I hit an old rut. The whole slough was spongy but wasn't too bad when we cut it. Solid ground all around the tire, just soft where it went down lol. After I got stuck I got to thinking and dad did get stuck bad there quite a few years back and I remember we had to unhook the baler and drag it out backwards. 99% sure that's the rut I hit lol. I was going along then could just feel the back tire just dropped. 9130 had a tough time getting traction to pull me out. This year has not been good for me and stucks lol. At least I didn't need a trackhoe this time 😂

Lots of canola left standing here this year. I guess guys are getting tired of picking up piles of canola. And on the other side of things, we got wheat laying in the swath for more than a day now. Haven't done that in 10 years, and that was only cause we were coming home with the swathers past that field. Otherwise been close to 20 years! Kinda a weird feeling. Hope it doesn't rain lol

Ahh I remember pulling the grain pan from the 1482 when I was small and could fit anywhere lol. I think we swapped one out of a parts combine, another one we welded up. It held for a good 10 years and is still in the combine but we parked that one 

So far I’ve never needed heavy equipment to get myself out, you’re doing a better job at getting stuck then me I guess lol  Have had to unhook multiple times though so I’ve beem close  

We usually swath our wheat and hope for the best  won’t be long I’m thinking and glyphosate will be banned as a desiccate. If the weather cooperates quite often you can get it up quicker swathing it then spraying it. You know perfectly well how often the weather cooperates though lol.  

Would’ve been handy to have a 10 year old around here yesterday to crawl in and out of there lol. My fat arse doesn’t fit in tight spots like it used to 😂😂 lol. Almost have to be a contortionist to turn around in there lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

So far I’ve never needed heavy equipment to get myself out, you’re doing a better job at getting stuck then me I guess lol  Have had to unhook multiple times though so I’ve beem close  

We usually swath our wheat and hope for the best  won’t be long I’m thinking and glyphosate will be banned as a desiccate. If the weather cooperates quite often you can get it up quicker swathing it then spraying it. You know perfectly well how often the weather cooperates though lol.  

Would’ve been handy to have a 10 year old around here yesterday to crawl in and out of there lol. My fat arse doesn’t fit in tight spots like it used to 😂😂 lol. Almost have to be a contortionist to turn around in there lol. 

Was supposed to be sunny all this week here. Had a cloudy and poor drying day yesterday. Then it drizzled this morning. Sunny now though lol

I had to change a couple front walker blocks on the massey/claas this fall. Theres room in there. Not alot but I got in somehow. Worst one I remember was having to crawl in around the rotor cage on the 1482 for some reason. I forget why or what we had to do but that was very tight. I was so happy when I got out of there lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, db1486 said:

Was supposed to be sunny all this week here. Had a cloudy and poor drying day yesterday. Then it drizzled this morning. Sunny now though lol

I had to change a couple front walker blocks on the massey/claas this fall. Theres room in there. Not alot but I got in somehow. Worst one I remember was having to crawl in around the rotor cage on the 1482 for some reason. I forget why or what we had to do but that was very tight. I was so happy when I got out of there lol

Probably the worst for me was crawling inside the Massey combine on the straw walkers. They’ve got these swinging baffles for a lack of a better word that only go one way. Crawling out isn’t to bad coming in you get stuck easily lol. Not a fun place to be anyways. Parts are supposed to be in tomorrow so hopefully get it back together in the next couple days. So far no one else has volunteered to go back inside lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Laying on the straw walkers of the JD 7721 to unwrap flax straw from the rear beater is a bad memory that comes back to me every time I start to think about growing flax again. Even at $14.50 a bushel its not enough. 

I finally finished up the canola field that I started a week ago today. Worked late last night to finish one side of the quarter and the straw was getting very tough and not breaking up going through the 1660. Today was much better and no straw left behind the combine. Canola is nothing outstanding, maybe average for me. Going to pick up the oat swaths tomorrow before the Sunday rains hit. Picture from the last truck load today before we made the convoy move back home. Cold for September. 

Unload NE24 (2).jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear Ralph. I’m hopping to be surprised with our canola. I’m hopping the heavy straw and low yield doesn’t continue  to the canola. Hasn’t been a lot come off around here yet to know how it will yield. 

Got the new railing trough this afternoon so I’m hopping to make some good headway putting it back together tomorrow. I’m doubtful I’ll grt it all done but a guy can dream lol. I’m sure it’s going to be fun getting things lined up and bolts back in again. Hopefully I won’t have to invent to many new swear words lol.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a little start to the 2020 harvest helping my brother combine corn yesterday. Considering this is a poor farm and we basically had 0 rain in July and August I was pleasantly surprised by the yield.

81659126-FE0A-4858-9C42-AA0D51114599.jpeg

9EC46049-A56E-412C-BDCC-6B3EC89D5207.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IH Forever said:

Just got a little start to the 2020 harvest helping my brother combine corn yesterday. Considering this is a poor farm and we basically had 0 rain in July and August I was pleasantly surprised by the yield.

81659126-FE0A-4858-9C42-AA0D51114599.jpeg

9EC46049-A56E-412C-BDCC-6B3EC89D5207.jpeg

That’s a nice set up. Would like to have the tractor and grain cart set up. Been debating adding another truck here or set up a tractor with grain cart. Short on tractors a bit so the extra truck looks like a better option on paper but we’ll have to see I guess.  

Good to hear the corns yielding better then expected. That’s always a nice surprise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got about 3/4 done putting everything back together. Took a long time to get the grain pan. Back in. Fought with it for 3-4 hours before I finally wrestled it into place. I’m the end I had to take the triangle deflectors  at the back above the spreaders partially out so I could lift the back end up a bit higher to get the front end to clear the chafer rails. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

working away here as well nothing to exciting to report finished the canola, the straight cutting worked out well, into the wheat now yeilding ok not as well as the straw looks but the bins are filling, will be an average year here i think for the most part 

 

Ralph what are you farming for land acre wise you seem to cover abit of ground for a mostly one man band 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...