3 hours ago, 806 man said:

Planted the middle of April,

Finally successful , time to kill

0C61C4A3-1418-421D-8ADA-487FA6B6ACB0.jpeg

Share some more pics if you get a chance. Commercial potatoes are still fairly forin to me. I know lots about eating them though 😂😂

our garden potatoes are just starting ripen off now. Tips are getting brown now. We tend to keep them in the ground as long as we can though as we don’t have real good cold storage for them in the house. 

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

42 year old 1460 in 215 bu corn....

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Posted Images

Got started today around 4:30. Got about 30-35 acres off. Not running super great but it’s ok. Seems to be a wee bit lighter this year. Running the same fan and sieve  settings as last year though so it can’t be to much worse. 

DDAF6B17-42AC-4BCA-B69C-DFC083D02B8A.jpeg

• Like 2

Got a little more done today. Was hopping to finish the home quarter but that didn’t happen. Had a belt decide to run off part ways on the feeserhoise drive and then the Draper belts took off sideways. Gave up on 3 of them and put new ones on. 450 bucks though and that’s the ones without teeth. The others are in pretty good shape yet so I didn’t splurge and buy them all lol.  Straw sure got tough quick tonight. Was kind of lumpy all day actually bit went through good. After 7:00 it was a downhill run though. I called it quits just after 10:00. Semi was full and both combines as well. I came back right past the auger so decided to unload as I went by. If it doesn’t rain tomorrow is another day. 

D741C9B0-EEC7-4FE8-AA0A-41C55020B9CE.jpeg

98BB638B-001B-4DFE-90EE-E87A2A9A5471.jpeg

018C6FCE-4349-4D72-9E36-7E502E03B1D2.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm still stalled on my last field of canola. Pulled into it 3 days ago with the swather and cut a little before deciding it was too green. Been back each day since to check and there is still more green than I feel safe swathing. This is a variety I have not grown before and different from my earlier fields. Longer maturity I'm guessing. Brett-Young 60-90.  It stands real tall and is more than the old MacJohn wants to put through at times. 

Brett Young 6090.JPG

• Like 1

Canola looks good there Ralph. Ours is pretty short this year. Top pods didn’t fill out real well either so my yield expectations are dropping. Not going to be a bumper crop here this year. Below average I’d say actually. Unfortunate as they mostly looked so good all summer too. I’m still hoping my barley caught a few extra rains and snuck through a little better but I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Almost gave the barley done at home now. If it doesn’t rain today maybe I can finish it up. 

things are moving along here, finished combining peas the other day and been trying to finish getting the canola swathed down to the last half section and i took a quick drive by and its almost to ripe, will be abit scary to swath due to the shelling, might open the field up in the day light and wait till after supper tomorrow and go late into the night to get it all down, then i think i could turn around and start picking up the first stuff i swathed 

• Like 1

Canola all swathed as of yesterday so we will see eventually if it was too green or not. That Brett Young 60-90 was so tall I could not take a full cut with the swather at times or it would plug the swath opening. I guess a 1980s swather was not meant to handle 2020 canola. Although it did fine on the Dekalb variety on my other fields. 

• Like 1

nah it not the swather its just the year i tried some new Proven Liberty link seed and it grew so tall and the stalks on it were big but had to cut low to get all the pods as it lodged in the rain/wind we had a few weeks back i stayed over with my swather as i couldn't get it through the swather fast enough and the 2188 will have a hard enough time trying to get this stuff though, the other older stuff i grew is normal, never tried any brett young products, yours look pretty good thou

as for the power loss i change my fuel filters quite regularly, amazing how dirty a swather gets cutting green not dusty material 

44 minutes ago, wheatking said:

nah it not the swather its just the year i tried some new Proven Liberty link seed and it grew so tall and the stalks on it were big but had to cut low to get all the pods as it lodged in the rain/wind we had a few weeks back i stayed over with my swather as i couldn't get it through the swather fast enough and the 2188 will have a hard enough time trying to get this stuff though, the other older stuff i grew is normal, never tried any brett young products, yours look pretty good thou

as for the power loss i change my fuel filters quite regularly, amazing how dirty a swather gets cutting green not dusty material 

No lodging in this Brett Young canola, just tall, almost chest high in the low spots. The Dekalb was shorter and easier swathing. Be interesting to see which yields best. I think I found the fuel problem. Screen in the sediment bowl on the tank was almost completely blocked. I've never had it off in the ten years I've owned the swather. Still got the same fuel filter too. I think those glass JD filters last a long time if you are half way careful with fuel fillings. Now if I can find a replacement hose for the reel motor I can swath oats tomorrow. 

We’re about 4-5 days away from swathing canola here yet I think. I’m really hopping I can get all my barley off before we have to swath. If the weather cooperates it’s doable.  We’ll be almost half done harvest if that happens. I’d love to have it done before sept 1st but I think that might be a stretch.  It’s creeping up awfully quickly. 

Moved out and got started in my barley today. Got a late start again as usual but managed to get a couole semi loads off at least.  Up where this picture was taken it seemed to be running pretty good. From there I got down into some slough bottoms that were real bad for thistles and they were flooded out some in June so that knocked it back a lot. See what tomorrow brings. Hopefully get back into some real heavy stuff again if we don’t get rained out. Coming home with the first semi load we had the wipers on. Wasn’t sure I was going to get any more done. Wind picked up again and seemed to dry it out. Humidity wasn’t that high when we quit either. The wind this afternoon was bad though, it was trying to roll my big fluffy barley swaths. Didn’t cut much ahead of the combine at all. Everything that was cut I picked up tonight just incase. Had a real nice sunset through the clouds tonight. Really lit up the sky. The kind that makes you appreciate being out in the country to enjoy it. Couldn’t help but think about the people in the big cities who never even see open sky like that. 

101FC9A3-D369-4F9A-AE90-4E5DC8BEC8C5.jpeg

7943B977-8CC0-42C1-A4D0-B08F766329AC.jpeg

22194D3A-9372-4848-B9A5-B3A162269003.jpeg

5FDFBAF4-9C52-46D7-9BA6-D06A9E2BC22E.jpeg

67C03468-48B7-4EDB-9997-65E698AE18FC.jpeg

5CDF519C-EBAD-417E-8465-A0E3169CA5FD.jpeg

• Like 1

Got rained out this afternoon. Snuck past a few showered that went by within a half s mile of me but my luck finally ran out. Kept on till I had to turn the wipers on and then drove back to the truck. Didn’t last long so I tried it again about 15 minutes later but there wasn’t much for dust. About 10 minutes after that another rain and a huge wind came through. Hopefully go tomorrow again. Frost advisory out for tonight. Hopefully it doesn’t freeze as it will do some damage here yet. Some of the canola is pretty green yet. Few guys are swathing but not many here yet. Some of the earliest stuff. 

1EFB17D7-ED5B-4CF6-88CB-7C855C0FCBD3.jpeg

E9A22856-6933-44C6-8F45-7406556C05CE.jpeg

C22245ED-AF1C-4F0F-9FBA-B41722BC33AF.jpeg

FAF95980-1857-4ABD-A2D0-A9E26D5AAB1C.jpeg

78C0DC64-5C09-41EF-856D-10E8D563C38D.jpeg

04E0DA9A-1CEC-494B-B4AF-6CC8415DDF3E.jpeg

• Like 2

Rained out again here this morning. Got going late afternoon yesterday but only got one more semi load off. When I did my walk around yesterday I found a fuel line fubbed through just back from the mechanical lift pump. Had to take that off and bring it back home to braze up. Had just started to leak by the looks of it as there wasn’t much for diesel around it. Thought it was a coolant line weeping at first. 

good to see some one make progress, tried to cut some of that ripe canola and holy **** it was ripe i quit and gonna try again they got showers in the forcast tommorow so i figure i'll try again and i still don't like it i might have to straight cut, the shelling goes down at night but just that it such a fluffy swath the winds we've been having will blow them into the next RM

There’s been some awful winds coming through that’s for sure. Clouds were just flying by yesterday. I was going easy on the roads and the clouds were almost passing me.  Winds howling today again.

Took another sample this afternoon and it’s back up to 17.1. Just after that a real black cloud came over and dumped on us just west of my land as we came home. Don’t think it hit the barley as hard but I know there was some there again. Turning into one of this falls again that could get late quick if this crap keeps up. 

bit of a shower this morning so i got a bunch more canola swathed till noonish then started shattering and wind picked up again and blew a few of them around again, i decided to quit and straight cut it now i cant afford to loose anymore with these brutal winds, this will be a learning curve as ive never straight cut canola before, just wish we could get some warm weather to dry the rest of it up to get it in the bin 

44 minutes ago, wheatking said:

bit of a shower this morning so i got a bunch more canola swathed till noonish then started shattering and wind picked up again and blew a few of them around again, i decided to quit and straight cut it now i cant afford to loose anymore with these brutal winds, this will be a learning curve as ive never straight cut canola before, just wish we could get some warm weather to dry the rest of it up to get it in the bin 

Think I’m going to start swathing canola tomorrow. Get the one quarter down anyways. I went out tonight and along the main road it’s a little over ripe. A couple hot days and the whole field will be getting to far gone. Field across the road was seeded 4 days later so it’s a little further behind. 

ya just seems to be snap your finger and ready, this particular feild is out my way and i dont keep a close close eye on it and i guess i should have swathed it first by the way things look,  just wish my cereals would come in this quick to get harvest rolling 

A good six tenths or more here from yesterday's showers. Cold too. Windy after the rain so I hope it does not shell out many oats. Left them stand til mid September last year and they were hit by hail so I ended up not harvesting them. Guess I'll go back to swathing oats once it dries up a little here. Going to be a fair bit of straight cut canola right around me.  Hope my swaths don't scatter in the wind now. 

Brought the swather back home this morning and got started on canola. Got one quarter nicked down this afternoon. Opened up another field across the road but it’s devatable. There’s some spots that are getting over ripe but a lot of the hollows are pretty green yet. Think I’ll swath the stuff on that field that I seeded before the rain though anyways and wait a bit for the rest. Was about 4 days delay thanks to rain last spring. Crop doesn’t look to bad when you get into it. Pods appear to be full from the cab but time will tell I guess.  After about 3:30 I’m the afternoon I started to notice some pod shatter. Almost shut down but I only had 50 or so acres left on the field so we carried on. Dad was out with the versatile and cut some as well so that helped speed things up a little bit.  Last picture was when i was opening up the other field. Looked real dark in the west for a while. It seemed to head south east of us. That one missed us anyways. 

When I went to get the swather this morning the road was actually sloppy imnplaces. There was a half mile where there was water laying all over the road. Out by my field it wasn’t quite as bad. Still a water puddle at the gate though. 

062658BF-D879-4692-858E-7DDA588240C0.jpeg

FBBFED38-ABBC-41C5-BCF8-6AEE90E76E5A.jpeg

059B3F20-C280-444C-A6EB-696F02C7152A.jpeg

096EC1B2-C644-43A3-ABC9-DD0C21F399F3.jpeg

• Like 2

This is very quicly turning into another wet fall. Not much for rainfall but it won’t dry up either. Got another semi load off yesterday afternoon and another one this afternoon before the rains moved in again. Neither load is dry. Almost plugged the ih today too, that’s how tough it was when we quit. I was watching the engine rpm and it dropped to 660 rpm before it pulled itself back up to speed again. Thought I was screwed there for a couple seconds. Mom and dad were watching and they could see the big black cloud of smoke when it opened up.  Thinking we need a good hard frost to clear this up again. End of the week they’re talking nicer weather but who knows.  Getting closer to done the barley at least, just wish it was all done though.  Guess I ll have to go get the swather tomorrow again as well be cutting canola tomorrow or the next day again. 

3A1074D1-CD18-44AF-A497-A1B01AA870B6.jpeg

B6395D9F-4DCF-42D8-9D75-F76EB4538B69.jpeg

6FE235B4-A0B2-47CF-83DB-5D94FE759CC0.jpeg

On 9/3/2020 at 7:35 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

When I went to get the swather this morning the road was actually sloppy imnplaces. There was a half mile where there was water laying all over the road. Out by my field it wasn’t quite as bad. Still a water puddle at the gate though. 

Noticed that here too that it can vary so much for precip in just a short distance. LIke from one end of a quarter to the other. Nice enough here today although clouds around. Sure warmed up but I hear we are in for possible frost by Monday. My oats were shelling out bad so I went ahead and finished swathing them today. Not sure what variety they are but I think they are not meant for straight cutting as they'd be mostly shelled out before they were ready to harvest. Hope the swaths don't get soaked too bad but its probably going to happen. Saw a few guys going straight on desicated wheat last weekend. I think my first wheat field is pretty close to ready to straight cut. I took this shot of the swather today in roughly the same spot as the one of my grandparents and the binder in the early 1940s. 

The Last Stook last swath 2.jpg

• Like 3

My barley the heads are breaking off too so I’m loosing some yield every day there too. Geese are  getting bad though and the swaths are so big I hate to put it in the ground. 

Pictures like that make you appreciate cabs with heat and A/C a lot more that’s for sure. Nice to have that land in the family that long too. Our home quarter should be 100 years now. We haven’t heard back from the record keeper yet though. 

I haven’t been out to look at our wheat in a while so I’m not sure how close to ready it is. There’s some canola next to it that I’ll have to take a look st too. It’s on the sand and is behind so it’ll probably be the last we swath. 

Frost overninght  in a lot of areas of Sask. but it missed me. Not that it would do much harm as the crop is advanced enough. Sky finally cleared today and I tried a sample of standing wheat. My earliest and latest fields. Surprisingly they both tested in the 16 to 16.6% moisture range. Combined real nice but I only did about 100 bushels. Try again tomorrow and will likely keep going as its getting well along in September and I usually have more done by this date. 

I'm hearing some reports of canola swath damage and also some damage to standing canola from the high winds on the weekend. i have not looked at mine. 

IMG_1606 (2).JPG

• Like 2

We swathed the last of the canola and the little bit of wheat that we had seeded today.  Might try a sample of barley tomorrow on mine again. Should go in the next day or two again hopefully. The wheat is still a touch green in the hollows so it’s going to take some heat and a few days to dry that down  

We had a touch of frost yesterday and this morning. Was some snowflakes floating around yesterday in the morning. To early for snow.  

D65AF1E7-A200-4415-96E3-522FDBA5111F.jpeg

DF4D820D-6DAA-48D9-BAA2-F8FAAAE79667.jpeg

975771CB-D649-441E-BFF2-D54BB08E21D1.jpeg

• Like 2