IMG_20200809_151028573.jpg

WOW!!! That is impressive!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

42 year old 1460 in 215 bu corn....

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Looks like a couple of storms rolling through over your way today db1486. You guys get much? 

247F1354-DE48-4CAC-8767-E6CE31425284.png

It's coming. I can see it really building. I havent looked at the radar to see which way it is moving. Possible tornadoes again so let's hope it doesn't turn into that. About a half hour ago it started raining an hour west of us. Looks like the worst is staying north of the park 

Radar showed some rain coming for us twice today. It amounted to nothing by the time it got here though. It kind of exploded just north east of here though. Radar showed two big storms popping up out of no where. Not sure how much rain they got. South east of here there were some other storms rolling through too. East of Regina and closer to melevile I think it was. 

19 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Radar showed some rain coming for us twice today. It amounted to nothing by the time it got here though. It kind of exploded just north east of here though. Radar showed two big storms popping up out of no where. Not sure how much rain they got. South east of here there were some other storms rolling through too. East of Regina and closer to melevile I think it was. 

So far we got nothing. Well had enough spots to count on the tractor hood and make the hay damp enough we had to quit baling. Another 15 minutes wouldve been nice lol. Looks like rain till Friday. Those storms that came through Regina/Melville looked like they went north of us earlier. But theres lightning to the west now

12 hours ago, db1486 said:

So far we got nothing. Well had enough spots to count on the tractor hood and make the hay damp enough we had to quit baling. Another 15 minutes wouldve been nice lol. Looks like rain till Friday. Those storms that came through Regina/Melville looked like they went north of us earlier. But theres lightning to the west now

That was me getting it. Pretty good thunderstorm last evening with reports of hail in some areas. None here at the yard but it was a good rain and we got another one this morning. I don't see any lodging in the crops yet but it sure came down hard last night. 

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

That was me getting it. Pretty good thunderstorm last evening with reports of hail in some areas. None here at the yard but it was a good rain and we got another one this morning. I don't see any lodging in the crops yet but it sure came down hard last night. 

I wondered if maybe you were going to get hit when I looked at the radar later in the day Ralph. Good to hear you didn’t get hit to hard. 

15 hours ago, db1486 said:

We didn’t get anything to speak or. Went into Melfort to take our dog to the vet for surgery on her tail and there was water laying in spots around town yet so they must’ve got a little shot anyways. 

Got about two inches altogether from that rain so it was a good one. Checking canola today and it is changing colour fast. If we get the heat they forecast next week I think we will be rolling out the swathers. 

IMG_1535[1].JPG

• Like 2
On 8/14/2020 at 11:01 PM, Loadstar said:

Got about two inches altogether from that rain so it was a good one. Checking canola today and it is changing colour fast. If we get the heat they forecast next week I think we will be rolling out the swathers.

That’s a fair bit of rain alright. Hopefully crops didn’t lay down to badly.  

Canola is at least a couple weeks away here yet. Barley is pretty much ready at home though. Main part of the field the heads are bent right over already. 

3 hours ago, farmer john 8910 said:

We went crop scouting 

Some nice look corn cobs be there. Looks like it’s filling out good. 

Took a few pictures tonight with the drone. Dad went out and cut a little bit as well so he could get out to the big slab pile to haul more out there. If everything was ready I think I’d go knock down 40 acres or so. Wouldn’t take long to dry down I don’t think with days like today. Was pretty warm here again. The close up of the barley I took with the drone out in the middle of the field.  You can see some of our canola in a couple of the photos. They’re a 1/2 mile away from the intersection. 

61AC9775-049F-4F65-8B2A-F4BA327E3138.jpeg

EDC33EA8-4255-4309-8827-BF4A4766D4F9.jpeg

10CB8257-50F0-4616-9B6D-EBE16AB848BF.jpeg

7A49B08D-93EB-4E14-A71C-A5E755A9F02B.jpeg

28C0EE3C-35C0-432A-9AFB-1452E4B1DAEC.jpeg

7B10DC1B-90B4-475A-B9F8-3544C0F7BBFF.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Took a few pictures tonight with the drone. Dad went out and cut a little bit as well so he could get out to the big slab pile to haul more out there. If everything was ready I think I’d go knock down 40 acres or so. Wouldn’t take long to dry down I don’t think with days like today. Was pretty warm here again. The close up of the barley I took with the drone out in the middle of the field.  You can see some of our canola in a couple of the photos. They’re a 1/2 mile away from the intersection. 

Dandy barley crop. Those drone shots are great. I like the late evening shots when the sun is low and the shadows show the rolling topography of the land. I have been meaning to get some drone shots but still haven't got around to it. I did get out this evening to take a couple of shots of the neighbour's corn field. We don't see a lot of corn here. This is grown for cattle grazing in the winter. 

IMG_1537[1].JPG

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Dandy barley crop. Those drone shots are great. I like the late evening shots when the sun is low and the shadows show the rolling topography of the land. I have been meaning to get some drone shots but still haven't got around to it. I did get out this evening to take a couple of shots of the neighbour's corn field. We don't see a lot of corn here. This is grown for cattle grazing in the winter. 

The little bit of shadow sure does accent the rolling land. Mid day you can’t even tell there’s a bump there when you’re flying. I had put a battery on the charger around noon intending to get out earlier but it didn’t work out. Figured I’d take advantage of the daylight and the fact that dad had the versatile out in the field to get a few shots anyways. Gives you a good idea how ripe the field really is too. 

I got the front drum all welded up yesterday morning. Should hold up for a little while longer anyways. Have to go to cudworth tomorrow for a cone bolt hardware kit. A&i offered a kit for a lot less the CNH so I thought I’d try it anyways. Was going to put the feeder house back together today but dad needed help with other things so I didn’t get s chance. Need a extra set of hands too to get things lined up and in place I think. 

Got my old dirt bike out of the garage and up and running again too. It’s been siting for a couple of years again so I figure it was time. Been working on it off and on when I have a few extra minutes. 

BA8A07B6-FAB1-4E5C-8271-30C9A92BDCC3.jpeg

57FC51FA-9892-4036-96B4-D7ED151F3C55.jpeg

drum looks good exactly what mine looked like 

Crops are moving along the canola is really turning color but the seed color is still green yet, spray the peas tommorow then hopfully start combining early next week, hot and humid today with no wind and sounds like tommorow is a touch hotter then cool down abit 

12 hours ago, wheatking said:

drum looks good exactly what mine looked like 

Crops are moving along the canola is really turning color but the seed color is still green yet, spray the peas tommorow then hopfully start combining early next week, hot and humid today with no wind and sounds like tommorow is a touch hotter then cool down abit 

Hopefully it was worth it. Thought I had ended up with flash burn from welding it up on sat. My eye wasn’t getting better so I went in this morning and got it checked out. Turned out there was a piece of metal in my eye.  Dr took it out and I had a look at it. It actually looked like a piece of dirt or possibly grinding disk. Hopefully it clears up now anyways. Didn’t need that this time of the year. 

Barley at home is pretty much all down now. It sure wripened up quick. 

Got the ih put basically back together today. I’ve been juggling multiple things here and not getting done what I want too. My eye slowed things up a bit too. Had to go back into the optometrist a couple times for follow up. Have to go back tomorrow again and maybe get some different drops to help clear it up. Still a little bit blurry in that one eye. A lot better then it was a few days ago. Hopefully it keeps getting better. He said due to scar tissue here could be some vision loss though. Hopefully that’s not the case. Still don’t know how it happened for sure as I never even felt it go into my eye or have it bother me initially. 

2188 runs a fair bit quieter now inside the feeder house  hopefully no other problems pop up with the combine. Getting run down and we haven’t even begun lol  

DAE47D74-B915-41D9-AB49-BD5BF52A3105.jpeg

7EEB20FF-AA56-4C26-8BD5-3F8B53EA4B18.jpeg

Guys have combining barley for most of the week now. Some wheat has been taken off already too. Lots of canola getting swathed. We might be close to knocking down some oats and canola next week. Wheat is still a good week away for us. Should be making dust by the long weekend anyway. Still playing around with slough hay and greenfeed yet here too

took some peas off yesterday to try he new header out comin off dry but alot of green material wheat/wild oats still green, new header worked good but having alittle problem with the slip clutch so have to have a look at that here this morning, its alittle different than the simple 2188 one so unsure how it works 

We should’ve had some barley off this week but with all the fixing and confusion it didn’t happen. Getting a trace of rain tonight so tomorrow is not looking good for combining. Got the barley all swatted at home now. Mine will be next. Going to be a juggling game a little bit as mine will need to be swatted while dad’s needs to be combined probably. Don’t like having all that barley down at once either but I’d we do t it’ll be on the ground one way or another. Even dad’s was getting low already. Had to cut the stubble 3 inches or less or you were missing some. One Tuesday you could cut 4-6” stubble and it was fine. 

Tornado touched down just south of here this afternoon with no warning.  Storm just kind of popped up out of no where. We were on the edge of the warming they issued after. We didn’t get much for rain but further south had quite a bit in a short time. Close to a inch within about 20 minutes. 

63041A43-240C-4EA1-8149-0AD25135D177.jpeg

F3E64DA8-1262-463C-B142-849DBBABF92B.jpeg

On 8/18/2020 at 11:56 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

Hopefully it was worth it. Thought I had ended up with flash burn from welding it up on sat. My eye wasn’t getting better so I went in this morning and got it checked out. Turned out there was a piece of metal in my eye.  Dr took it out and I had a look at it. It actually looked like a piece of dirt or possibly grinding disk. Hopefully it clears up now anyways. Didn’t need that this time of the year. 

Had the same thing back in 79. Never knew how it got there but the doc removed a piece of metal from my left eye and put a patch over it for I forget how long. I was running the Case pull type combine after that so lucky I still had my right eye to work with. It taught me the importance of eye protection when working in the shop. 

Been going hard at canola all day. Last night's rain seemed to change it from not quite ready to almost too ready. Canvases were still wet in the afternoon even though the sun was out. I haven't seen anyone else cutting canola yet but know some are going to straight combine theirs. I don't plan on that unless the swather breaks down. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Had the same thing back in 79. Never knew how it got there but the doc removed a piece of metal from my left eye and put a patch over it for I forget how long. I was running the Case pull type combine after that so lucky I still had my right eye to work with. It taught me the importance of eye protection when working in the shop. 

Been going hard at canola all day. Last night's rain seemed to change it from not quite ready to almost too ready. Canvases were still wet in the afternoon even though the sun was out. I haven't seen anyone else cutting canola yet but know some are going to straight combine theirs. I don't plan on that unless the swather breaks down. 

Not much fun that’s for sure. Never even knew there was anything there until she told me. Dr said quite often something will get into your eye after you take your glasses off.  Stuff gets stuck in your eye lashes or hair and fall into your eyes after.  Not good what ever happened anyways.

Canola seems to be slow here but it’s been behind all summer so I guess it’s somewhat expected. Barley sure turned quick though in that heat. Cool and cloudy here today and not drying any so don’t think I’ll try a sample at all. 

i had a piece of metal in my eye once blowing off the combine who would of thought eh, had 3 doctors look at it couldnt find it then  a nurse just outta school found it right away and pulled it out, it was bad had to wink during the day but could open it at night 

Finished combining the first field of peas today yield not to bad they are smaller in size this year, and swathing canola at night, Ralph dont feel left out im sure i will be the only one in the area now that still swath it,  just cant bring my self to spending more on canola seed for the pod shatter gene and still only get $10  bushel for the stuff when i can swath it cheaper than spraying it and have it in the bin quicker,  

On 7/26/2020 at 10:24 PM, 806 man said:

Yum, Yum, Yellow taters on the dinner menu.

1709B37C-EB7C-4B53-9B84-D092EC9B589E.jpeg

93ACFF43-AFFF-4511-ABC8-D9D62D76B72C.jpeg

Planted the middle of April,

Finally successful , time to kill

0C61C4A3-1418-421D-8ADA-487FA6B6ACB0.jpeg

• Like 1