Well seeing as how no one else has started the old topic back up figured I’d start another post. 

Finally got going seeding today. Didn’t get a lot done as we had a couple last minute repairs pop up and one little mishap while seeding. Brake caliper stuck on the versatile and got the rotor mighty hot. Got 55 acres in and I ran out of seed so I called it a night. Didn’t take a lot of photos as I was going around in circles most of the day lol. Took a couple when I crap down and one when I was rechecking the rotor for more heat. Fires blazing away pretty good yet. Was a crazy wind here all day from the south. Was hard walking into it at times.  Pictures don’t do the glow justice. It’s like the lights of a city lighting up the sky in the north. 

5B4AF81E-DED9-4F42-99BD-83DB2A72C637.jpeg

0F4A5F0B-221C-42C0-A974-92E2914C60EB.jpeg

D856E092-A63F-43BC-A9AB-E836A5CCB835.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Had another crazy storm roll through about an hour ago. Another 1/2 inch of rain from it. Looked alot worse to the east again. They are really getting hammered over there. Roads and bridges washed out

Posted Images

The fire has hit the farmland on the north side of the river now. Potential evacuation of the smaller communities and farms along the forestry and highway 55.  Someone I know just posted a video of discomfort fire guards along the fire today in the farmland. Not good that’s for sure.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see the updated map tomorrow up to around 35-45,000 acres. It was at 25,000 a day or two ago so it could easily double again With  this wind. 

• Sad 2

1 farm finished with both corn and beans.  They should start popping out of the ground with this warm rain.  2nd farm only has fertilizer spread and with this rain, I'm in slight panic mode.

20200513_144553.jpg

• Like 1

figured this topic was gonna get started again just figured id let someone else start it, seeding is goin on here had a shower to stop for the afternoon about 1 quarter of canola and 3 of wheat left to go, I held off on the canola earlier with all the cold weather had and put a bunch of wheat in instead, the finish line is insight aswell as some rain so i'll gladly take the rain and stop for a few days I looked at my first seeded peas and there germinating but running out of moisture I should have went deeper when seeded,

• Like 1

Be a couple weeks before there’s much green showing up in the fields here yet. The soil is so cold yet. Should warm up some now that it’s beem opened up a bit though. Harrowed ahead of the drill bit that only helps a little.  Have to harrow and spray tomorrow weather permitting. Got the home quarter done today. Moving to mine next. Get the barley done and then a little bit of wheat and we’ll be onto canola. Kind of nice to get going on canola as you can carry on and do something. Wheat and barley I have to fill every 50 acres oats I can only do 40. 

Had a little sprinkle of rain here today but didn’t amount to much.  Fire across the river could sure use a good soaker. It’s up to 78,000 acres now I believe.  There’s a lot of criticism now how they responded to the fire. Same group is in charge of the wildland fire now as all this covid stuff. Lots of angry people over that too.  

Took a few pictures today. Nothing to spectacular though. 

2827D8FE-C44C-4E43-812C-CC34B570DFC3.jpeg

DABFFEA9-3F49-47D6-85FF-8354478FDF4F.jpeg

79BC9CB5-AB0E-4CD1-8F3A-EBE9074D9421.jpeg

3 hours ago, wheatking said:

figured this topic was gonna get started again just figured id let someone else start it, seeding is goin on here had a shower to stop for the afternoon about 1 quarter of canola and 3 of wheat left to go, I held off on the canola earlier with all the cold weather had and put a bunch of wheat in instead, the finish line is insight aswell as some rain so i'll gladly take the rain and stop for a few days I looked at my first seeded peas and there germinating but running out of moisture I should have went deeper when seeded,

You guys are quite a bit ahead of us this year. Everyone’s just getting going now the last 3-4 days. A lot of ground to cover here yet. Some places are to wet to seed yet so that doesn’t help. Home quarter wasn’t to bad. Was only 2 small sloughs I had to go around. Afraid my rented land will be a lot worse though as there was even more snow there. 

We had about a week of good planting here in April but haven't turned a wheel now since the 21st of April. Thought we might get back in the field this week but the rain continues and it is starting to look more and more like a repeat of last year. The stuff we did get planted in April looks pretty good overall although I will probably have to replant the creek bottoms that we tried. Anyway the only picture I have so far is of one of my split planted fields that I am experimenting with this year. It's 30ft of corn (12 row 30") next to 30ft of beans (23 row 15") alternating all the way across the field. 

0518201923.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TheIHMan said:

We had about a week of good planting here in April but haven't turned a wheel now since the 21st of April. Thought we might get back in the field this week but the rain continues and it is starting to look more and more like a repeat of last year. The stuff we did get planted in April looks pretty good overall although I will probably have to replant the creek bottoms that we tried. Anyway the only picture I have so far is of one of my split planted fields that I am experimenting with this year. It's 30ft of corn (12 row 30") next to 30ft of beans (23 row 15") alternating all the way across the field. 

0518201923.jpg

Im not trying to be a smartas$ but what are you trying to accomplish??    Just curious.   Crop looks good!

The only pictures I got this spring were of roller packing some plowed ground that is going into edible beans. I’ll try to remember to get some when I’m planting them. I got corn planted as early as I ever have and earlier than my dad ever remembers. Started the 28th of April and finished the 1st of May. 

97F4877E-6523-4C09-B4BD-B3D1A06B62C0.jpeg

C4245461-7053-4943-B1AE-62B23136543E.jpeg

916B9B87-3269-4072-AB5D-0230029DC13E.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, nate said:

Im not trying to be a smartas$ but what are you trying to accomplish??    Just curious.   Crop looks good!

The simple explanation from what my understanding is that by breaking up the corn into strips you get more sunlight on more corn plants, creating more photosynthesis and hopefully adding yield. The way I accomplished it was by splitting my 12 row planter planting 6 rows of corn on one side and then 11 rows of beans on the other (in 15" spacing), then when you turn around you end up with the 12 rows of corn and 30' of beans. There are definitely some challenges in adjusting management practices in order to make everything work but I have enjoyed the challenge so far. The guys who I have read about that have tried split planting like this claim anywhere from 20-40% increase in corn yields with no increase in fertility added compared to regular corn fields and bean yields consistent with normal.

7 minutes ago, TheIHMan said:

The simple explanation from what my understanding is that by breaking up the corn into strips you get more sunlight on more corn plants, creating more photosynthesis and hopefully adding yield. The way I accomplished it was by splitting my 12 row planter planting 6 rows of corn on one side and then 11 rows of beans on the other (in 15" spacing), then when you turn around you end up with the 12 rows of corn and 30' of beans. There are definitely some challenges in adjusting management practices in order to make everything work but I have enjoyed the challenge so far. The guys who I have read about that have tried split planting like this claim anywhere from 20-40% increase in corn yields with no increase in fertility added compared to regular corn fields and bean yields consistent with normal.

Talked to a guy in central wisconsin last summer that's been real happy with it. When I drove down the road to his place I was thinking what the he!! Also he said it kinda made his rotation easier deciding what was corn or beans. He just rotates which side of the planter he loaded with what. I can see it being worth a shot 

3 hours ago, ZG6E said:

The only pictures I got this spring were of roller packing some plowed ground that is going into edible beans. I’ll try to remember to get some when I’m planting them. I got corn planted as early as I ever have and earlier than my dad ever remembers. Started the 28th of April and finished the 1st of May. 

97F4877E-6523-4C09-B4BD-B3D1A06B62C0.jpeg

C4245461-7053-4943-B1AE-62B23136543E.jpeg

916B9B87-3269-4072-AB5D-0230029DC13E.jpeg

At first glance I thought you were pulling a disc. Haven’t seen a packer set up like that before.  Looks like it’s doing s good job anyways. 

12 hours ago, TheIHMan said:

0518201923.jpg

Kind of fun to experiment with different stuff like that anyways. Keep us updated through the year how it turns out.

Took a few more photos today again. Fire was burning hard today again along the riverbank again. Winds shifted to the northwest so it pushed it back towards us today again. I went for a tank of water this afternoon and I could see the flames above the tree line about 3 miles away. Scary sight how it was burning. I’m sure the flames were 60-70 feet in the air.  There’s some tall trees between where I was and the fire and the fire was quite a ways above that again. Wind keeps shifting and is every inoredictable so they’re having problems getting ahead of it. The wind was preventing the water bombers from working too for a while. When I was at the well there was a chopper buzzed by just north of me.  The tree line in the last picture is our north quarter. Really hope it doesn’t burn. It’s got some real nice bush/saw logs on it yet. I went up tonight and sprayed it.  It’s a ways from the fire yet but if it jumps the river all bets are off. 

FAD613F9-F89F-4542-8EFE-0E3BA84A9176.jpeg

B2105560-C1FD-4A59-BCA8-E2A2E47CA50C.jpeg

9087D42E-C2E4-4FEA-A120-A0F2CD161CDA.jpeg

7F2AEE7A-7757-4B06-B29C-97650DA8D882.jpeg

74F024B6-57D5-4CEF-A8F0-9DD0C6CD97F6.jpeg

6E0BC767-8912-4B8A-80D4-EC291D2DC96D.jpeg

• Like 1

@wheatking how much rain did you guys get yesterday? Got a couple tenths here, just enough to shut me down for a day.  Hopping to get going tomorrow again. 

Fires died down a bit today so that’s a plus at least. Was going to go take a look this afternoon but ended up busy doing other things. 

44 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

@wheatking how much rain did you guys get yesterday? Got a couple tenths here, just enough to shut me down for a day.  Hopping to get going tomorrow again. 

Fires died down a bit today so that’s a plus at least. Was going to go take a look this afternoon but ended up busy doing other things. 

very spotty with the rain but I ended up with 1.2 inches so far, big relief here, hopefully get everything really going now, have about 500 acres left to seed yet all wheat maybe abit of barley yet to not sure on that 

I’ve heard reports all over the map today on Facebook. Highest was around north battleford at 4 inches I think. Meath park is just a bit west of here and north and they were over 3 inches. Odd how it can vary so much in such a short distance. They seem to always get hit with storms and rain there though. Sounds like just the right amount for you. Get things jumped into gear a bit. Soil moisture is good here. Actually going around some sloughs again this year. Fire needed the rain but at the same time I sure wish I could’ve kept on seeding. 

Little bit more progress today. Got most of mine seeded. Drill is filled up and ready for first thing in the morning. Hopefully I have enough seed and fertilizer left to finish.  Hopefully get moved home and the few acres of wheat that dad wants to seed in them we’ll be onto canola. 

C8C2DB03-73B3-42E5-8CBA-4E5B48EE6F9F.jpeg

485EB18C-1DEB-45A2-A126-0B9747497ED9.jpeg

A9219CD7-497A-453A-B7A2-838D0483A454.jpeg

0ABF5AFB-3075-4C8B-9F71-71B64DFCD286.jpeg

38DB1B5E-434D-41E4-9819-1CAC7D39949E.jpeg

• Like 3

sprayed all remaining acres today so hopefully its smooth sailing to the finish line, how many acres you seeding this year poor farmer?

Wonder how Roosty6 is making out, I don't think they had much rain the last couple days 

1 hour ago, wheatking said:

sprayed all remaining acres today so hopefully its smooth sailing to the finish line, how many acres you seeding this year poor farmer?

Wonder how Roosty6 is making out, I don't think they had much rain the last couple days 

We seed about a thousand acres. Not huge by any means but with my “senior” crew it’s enough lol. I do all the spraying and seeding plus a lot of the fun around stuff. Mom and dad help shuffle equipment and vehicles around and go for fertilizer when needed. 

Got my rented land all seeded and most of that wheat done. By the time we got moved back home, to town for fertilizer, reset and get wheat in the truck it was already 6:30. Didn’t hit the field till 7:30 so I didn’t quite finish. If I’d had my own vehicle there I would’ve kept on but mom and dad wanted to go home.  Dad has to harrow the next field yet anyways. Have about 400 of canola left and we’ll be done. I’m hopping to be done by Wednesday. Debating if we’ll spray the canola fields yet or not. Not much growing aside from a wee bit of grassy weeds. 

Was out looking while I was putting wheat in the truck and the barley is just starting to poke through now. It was seeded Monday. I didn’t seed as deep this year so I’m hopping that doesn’t come back to bite us. Scars of moisture in the fields yet. Drill is actually pretty heavy pulling at times. 

Haven’t seen much of Ralph or db1486 lately. They must be slaving away working hard. 

I finished all my planting on may 22, I would’ve finished on the 21st but I ran out of seed corn so I had to go and get two more bags to finish the field.
  I only planted about 200 acres but I did everything myself except for my friend came one day and disced a 100 acres for me. 
  This may be the last time I plant corn, we had a bunch of leftover seed so I’ve decided to plant 33 acres.

I also planted 22 acres of oats and the rest was planted as a cereal silage mix consisting of barley, oats, peas and Triticale (I think that’s how you spell it) And all those fields are being under seeded with grass seed. 
  On the 22nd I stopped to check one of the fields that I planted on the 14th and you could see the rows, Less than eight days to come out of the ground! So it looks to be off to a good start.

C9B97D4D-5827-45AB-B8EF-9DFEBC695A83.jpeg

E96B41E2-7256-49C6-93B3-F9C7E9A0FD75.jpeg

On 5/19/2020 at 11:28 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

At first glance I thought you were pulling a disc. Haven’t seen a packer set up like that before.  Looks like it’s doing s good job anyways. 

We have one of those packers too, They do a very nice job at breaking up the clumps. Everyone sees my fields and they want to borrow it to do theirs!

D862EA96-B8A5-4490-8E68-830EEA5581B2.jpeg

B3522A39-FC73-4455-B4AF-A00E11A489D2.jpeg

409282A5-9D86-4093-B906-27B1BF4A67DB.jpeg

Looks like a modern version of the old crows foot packers?