Sign in to follow this  
Ihfan4life

Small engine carburetor

Anyone fool around with these carburetors anymore or do you just buy a replacement? I had the engine running but I had no throttle control. I noticed the cable was froze up it so I ordered a new one  and got that installed. Now it still doesn’t want to run above an idle. I took the carburetor off and have it soaking in some carb cleaner but I think it’s probably better to order a carburetor for it and be done with it.
Just looking for opinions if that’s the smartest way to go. I think it’s $20 or so. I could fart around with it for a week and still not have it right😱

11 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Just looking for opinions if that’s the smartest way to go. I think it’s $20 or so. I could fart around with it for a week and still not have it right😱

And if you spend $20 for a week and it still don’t run?  I check prices and try to decide what my time is worth

• Confused 1

If the carb is luni,---be careful soaking it! ---- luni and carb cleaners SOMETIMES don't get along very well! ---also the chimna knockoffs don't work either so keep that in mind.

• Thanks 1

I put new e-bay carbs on two Cadets last year. (129, and a 1450)

I got sick of trying to find a decent kit...

So far they are running great. (Didn't throw the old carbs, just in case)

Both carbs were less than $50 total,  if I remember right.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

I favor repaired carburetor ,that being said depends , go out of my way not to buy Chinese 

2 hours ago, SONNY said:

If the carb is luni,---be careful soaking it! ---- luni and carb cleaners SOMETIMES don't get along very well! ---also the chimna knockoffs don't work either so keep that in mind.

Not to be ignorant, but what’s luni?

Well, I partially disassembled the carb, I didn’t go to deep because I don’t have a kit. I let it soak for a couple of hours and put it back on.... and pulled and pulled and pulled. Finally got it running, rough but running, I couldn’t get it to take any throttle but it would idle, so I let it run for maybe a half hour just idling. It didn’t get any better, so I put a little seafoam in the gas tank and let it run a bit longer. It died on me, so I let it cool off and then started it again. 
I could get it to take a little throttle so I kept playing with the choke and it would wind up to full speed. So, doing that I just spent an hour working it, it would die out, so I would play with the choke again and would get it to respond... hopefully with a couple tanks of fuel through it I should have it running good🤞🤞

If the engine is a good four-stroke it is generally worth going through the carb and hopefully you won't have to buy a whole carb.

If the engine is a not-so-good two-stroke you can go through the carb but it might not do any good and it might not be worth buying a whole carb.

most of the newer stuff has carbs with passages so small that they cant be cleaned, even in an ultrasonic tank.  $50 will buy most of them, and it doesnt take long to burn up $50 of anyones time trying to make the old one work.  I'll try cleaning the carb once, but if it's still not right i wont waste anymore time/frustration.

• Like 2

I have a Stihl weedeater that was doing what you speak of, turned out to be a 'spark-arrester' in the exhaust had gotten plugged over the years. It would idle but not rev up.

• Like 1

al-u-min-ium ! LOL!!

• Thanks 1

Too many times I see people mess with the carbs, but fail to do a compression check. The rings are usually fine, but the valve clearance is gone... they run, but won't handle a load, and get worse as the engine warms up and the valve stem expands that couple thousandth. You'll sometimes hear a squeaking noise in the exhaust and will see a visible flame in the exhaust at night.

That said, as much as I hate buying chinese stuff, I can't justify rebuilding a carb these days. Just put one on a push mower, $12.89 w/free shipping, came with new fuel line, a new filter AND an air filter. Put it on and it started on the 2nd pull. Runs better than it ever did with the CARB (California) carburetor on it.

I hate to confess, but for 2 strokes I just by a Chinese one, usually from Amazon..  I had good luck with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cattech said:

Too many times I see people mess with the carbs, but fail to do a compression check. The rings are usually fine, but the valve clearance is gone... they run, but won't handle a load, and get worse as the engine warms up and the valve stem expands that couple thousandth. You'll sometimes hear a squeaking noise in the exhaust and will see a visible flame in the exhaust at night.

That said, as much as I hate buying chinese stuff, I can't justify rebuilding a carb these days. Just put one on a push mower, $12.89 w/free shipping, came with new fuel line, a new filter AND an air filter. Put it on and it started on the 2nd pull. Runs better than it ever did with the CARB (California) carburetor on it.

This is one of those mini cultivators that you can do small spaces with it. I bought it 3-4 years ago. I doubt it has 20 hours on it, probably not even 10. 
I think it had stale fuel in the carburetor but I had drained the tank. I should have let it run dry... live and learn🤬

I'm dealing with the same thing right now. Two small engines that were left to sit with fuel in them. One fires and I can keep it running with the primer, the other doesn't fire at all. I really haven't messed with them too long, but a guy needs to know when to cut his loses!

I also have carb issues with the Yamaha Kodiak 450 I bought at an auction last fall. The fuel in the tank is spoiled, I knew better, but I didn't drain the tank, I poured in a bottle of carb cleaner and some fresh ethanol free fuel. It started and ran, but was very cold blooded needing to keep the choke on fire while, until you could use the throttle. The other day I was idling it to warm up and it just stalled out. Now it won't start, sprayed some carb cleaner in the air intake and it started right up and then stalled. Not sure if I want to tackle that carb, or just take it to a shop.

Those little 2 cycle culivators are the cat's nuts! I have a little Mantis brand one and it doesn't know how small it is, crazy what it can dig!