sandhiller

Some things never change

Going through North Platte this afternoon. Car show, drive night, whatever it's called. Three lanes going south. A block away three lanes going north were lined with people in lawn chairs hanging out watching some very beautiful restored cars (and new ones) making the loop.

I'm negotiating traffic in my transport when I see a couple young kids give me the arm pump. Couple pulls on the air horn and they come unglued, squealing, dancing, laughing, waving. It went on like that the rest of the way through town. Young and old giving me the arm pump and going crazy when I gave em a blast of the air horn 😂

Now there were Camaro's, Road Runner's, Vette's, Challenger's, Chevelle's, Coronet's, Mustang's, Nova's, Charger's, Fairlane's, Torino's, Impala's etc. Really beautifully restored cars, but the biggest reaction, got everybody off their seats, was a dirty old truck with an air horn 😁

Made me smile, fifty years ago as a pup kid, I was giving the arm pump to passing semi's😄

Some things never change🤗

• Like 15

...it's universal  sandhiller….!!!!    some things never change …...it would be the same deal   down under, here...….especially with  a big......Mack/ KW/Western   Star etc conventional

Mike

• Like 2

Yes! Loved this as a kid!

• Like 2

Get a set of train horns and you’ll get a bigger response.  The noise level is a shock to them when they don’t expect it but be careful where and how long you blow them. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

Get a set of train horns and you’ll get a bigger response.  The noise level is a shock to them when they don’t expect it but be careful where and how long you blow them. 

Oh,  come on Tmtbob........something like you suggested   would stop ol'   sandhiller's truck  in its tracks........be as  good as a Jake ......:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Going through North Platte this afternoon. Car show, drive night, whatever it's called. Three lanes going south. A block away three lanes going north were lined with people in lawn chairs hanging out watching some very beautiful restored cars (and new ones) making the loop.

I'm negotiating traffic in my transport when I see a couple young kids give me the arm pump. Couple pulls on the air horn and they come unglued, squealing, dancing, laughing, waving. It went on like that the rest of the way through town. Young and old giving me the arm pump and going crazy when I gave em a blast of the air horn 😂

Now there were Camaro's, Road Runner's, Vette's, Challenger's, Chevelle's, Coronet's, Mustang's, Nova's, Charger's, Fairlane's, Torino's, Impala's etc. Really beautifully restored cars, but the biggest reaction, got everybody off their seats, was a dirty old truck with an air horn 😁

Made me smile, fifty years ago as a pup kid, I was giving the arm pump to passing semi's😄

Some things never change🤗

I still give the arm pump, AND I wave at engineers when the trains go by. 

Years ago we had a rookie who had spent 12 years with vancouver police, we were out on the truck one day and peeps would wave at us, he mentioned it was nice having peeps wave at him with their whole hand rather than one finger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, mike newman said:

be as  good as a Jake ......:rolleyes:

Mike

Somebody call?????????😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

Somebody call?????????😇

...thinking of "Jake Brake"....rather than your good self.....:).....but sadly once again my attempt at humour , with Sandhiller,    fell short of the desired effect....what ever that might have been.....:mellow:.......(Sandhiller made it perfectly  clear what he thought of that nonsense,....sigh   )

Mike

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

...thinking of "Jake Brake"....rather than your good self.....:).....but sadly once again my attempt at humour , with Sandhiller,    fell short of the desired effect....what ever that might have been.....:mellow:.......(Sandhiller made it perfectly  clear what he thought of that nonsense,....sigh   )

Mike

I got it!

• Like 2

Ever blow the “city” horn?? And see the disappointment on their faces?? ☹️🙁🥺
 Sometimes when little kids want to sit in my truck I tell them to pull that cable… Not realizing what it is they actually jump when the horn blows!😂

I love the sound of my Jake brake!  People always know when I’m getting close…they hear me coming or should I say slowing down from a mile away!  I love the sound even more when going under bridges or in tunnels! The echo makes it even more cool!! But people driving in convertibles don’t seem to appreciate the echos when going through a tunnel!😱🥴

but sometimes the only thing that drowns out the Jake brake Is a couple of big Harleys beside me!😤😡

• Like 4

Handicap daughter always does the arm pump and when driver doesn't see her do it or don't blow the horn she gets disappointed. She does like the semi's and tractors. When we're out she never misses a semi coming.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Handicap daughter always does the arm pump and when driver doesn't see her do it or don't blow the horn she gets disappointed. She does like the semi's and tractors. When we're out she never misses a semi coming.

For some reason,  your post made me think of the song about the little boy who talked to truckers on his CB. I  can't remember the name but it seems like his handle was Teddy Bear? I bet there are several drivers on here who would be honored to give your daughter a ride. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Try driving a fire truck in a parade!!!!! I put the wife on horn duty so she can take the heat for not enough, or too much air horn. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mike newman said:

Mike

LOL Mike, your words rang true! The sad emoji thingy was kind of tongue in cheek (my attempt at humor)😋

I imagine train horns take quite a lot of air and could get you in trouble if not watched. And they would have really lit up the crowd yesterday and maybe introduced me to some of North Platte's finest.🚛🚓🤠👮👮🏾‍♀️👮

Poor old "Snowball" would be a pantin' and a wheezin' tryin' to keep up.🤒

Within a few thousand of a million miles on a truck not built to go as many miles as some others. She is showing her age as I am😪.              😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

For some reason,  your post made me think of the song about the little boy who talked to truckers on his CB. I  can't remember the name but it seems like his handle was Teddy Bear? I bet there are several drivers on here who would be honored to give your daughter a ride. 

Teddy Bear I believe is correct. And I would be one of those that would be honored to take her for a ride.👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

LOL Mike, your words rang true! The sad emoji thingy was kind of tongue in cheek (my attempt at humor)😋

I imagine train horns take quite a lot of air and could get you in trouble if not watched. And they would have really lit up the crowd yesterday and maybe introduced me to some of North Platte's finest.🚛🚓🤠👮👮🏾‍♀️👮

Poor old "Snowball" would be a pantin' and a wheezin' tryin' to keep up.🤒

Within a few thousand of a million miles on a truck not built to go as many miles as some others. She is showing her age as I am😪.              😁

Yes they do take some air but there are ways around it and snowball would never notice the psi consumption. Just add another air tank fed with a 1/4 hose so it will never drain the system and you can hold that valve open all day long.  RR police and dot are ones you don’t advertise in front of but I doubt they would say anything in a situation like that. 
  I had a ok dot ask me what that valve was beside my seat years ago and I told him it’s an air valve. He said pull it so I cracked it a little and he pulled me in for more inspection. He said those horns will be in his possession before I left the property. I asked how he could take them from me and I can get on the internet with my phone and have another set coming before I made it to okc and he said he needed to call his superior about that. He was told he can’t take them from me unless he can identify what they was and he told his boss he won’t know what they was until he had them in his hands because I had them hidden good. They are mounted above the driveline on the bottom side of my deck plate behind the sleeper but with toolboxes on the frame he can’t see them real well. He laid on the pavement with his belly rubbing the bottom of one of my boxes. This is how it went when he could tell what they was but couldn’t identify exactly what I have. 
him: do you know what those are

me: yeah I’ve had them on here for awhile

him: I promise you that you haven’t. 
me:  I promise you I have. I bought those years ago and mounted them myself. 
 That’s when he told me they will be in his hands before I leave but I still have them in the same spot. 
Lesson learned if a cop asks me to pull that air valve I will tell them I know what it does. If you want to do it you pull it cause they are not illegal to own just illegal to use. That’s the only time I’ve ever had anyone raise an issue with them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...interesting  !!

...down here the  Police used to be separate from the "Traffic Officers "...….then they amalgamated   into one force...then the 'truckies ';    coined the term..."Troffic  Craps''

...that sort of covered all bases...as it were......some of them were not terribly   wise....and it showed....

Mike

• Haha 1

Sandhiller

We used to do that as kids, when a big rig was following dad and we were riding in the back seat.  😃😃😃

Fred

• Like 3

You guys are right, its all in the humor, there is so much humor here there should be bells ringing and someone in a white suit selling ice cream, ya humor baby, I laffed and laffed and laffed so hard mes got to change me diaper.

10 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Ever blow the “city” horn?? And see the disappointment on their faces?? ☹️🙁🥺
 Sometimes when little kids want to sit in my truck I tell them to pull that cable… Not realizing what it is they actually jump when the horn blows!😂

I love the sound of my Jake brake!  People always know when I’m getting close…they hear me coming or should I say slowing down from a mile away!  I love the sound even more when going under bridges or in tunnels! The echo makes it even more cool!! But people driving in convertibles don’t seem to appreciate the echos when going through a tunnel!😱🥴

but sometimes the only thing that drowns out the Jake brake Is a couple of big Harleys beside me!😤😡

You have noticed how many towns have a bylaw against engine brake use, but there was a town in montana a few years ago that mention the term "jake brake " on their bylaw sign, i thought that was odd and went to the jacob's engine brake website, and there they have a notice that states if you see any towns that mention the name jake brake on their signage to contact them and they will notify the town to cease and desist, kool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tmtbob said:

Yes they do take some air but there are ways around it and snowball would never notice the psi consumption. Just add another air tank fed with a 1/4 hose so it will never drain the system and you can hold that valve open all day long.  RR police and dot are ones you don’t advertise in front of but I doubt they would say anything in a situation like that. 
  I had a ok dot ask me what that valve was beside my seat years ago and I told him it’s an air valve. He said pull it so I cracked it a little and he pulled me in for more inspection. He said those horns will be in his possession before I left the property. I asked how he could take them from me and I can get on the internet with my phone and have another set coming before I made it to okc and he said he needed to call his superior about that. He was told he can’t take them from me unless he can identify what they was and he told his boss he won’t know what they was until he had them in his hands because I had them hidden good. They are mounted above the driveline on the bottom side of my deck plate behind the sleeper but with toolboxes on the frame he can’t see them real well. He laid on the pavement with his belly rubbing the bottom of one of my boxes. This is how it went when he could tell what they was but couldn’t identify exactly what I have. 
him: do you know what those are

me: yeah I’ve had them on here for awhile

him: I promise you that you haven’t. 
me:  I promise you I have. I bought those years ago and mounted them myself. 
 That’s when he told me they will be in his hands before I leave but I still have them in the same spot. 
Lesson learned if a cop asks me to pull that air valve I will tell them I know what it does. If you want to do it you pull it cause they are not illegal to own just illegal to use. That’s the only time I’ve ever had anyone raise an issue with them

A few years ago mom and I were going to the cloverdale rodeo with our granddaughter and the local RCMP were out in force at 2 in the afternoon making sure everyone was behaving themselves. I don't know what the dui push was at that time of day but the cop in the median radioed to his corhorts to pull me in, I knew right away why, my plate is behind my winch and is not fully visible when looked at from the front, in I pull and roll my window down and show my licence and papers, he mentions the plate and I said it's behind the winch and his was the only query, now picture me, old, cowboy hat, vest, jeans and boots, a non drinker, picture mom cowboy hat, jeans, western shirt, heritage painted vest, and our grand girl, dressed the same way, newboots and hat.

The cop says I could give you a ticket for that, I say yes but, then he asks if the darkened windows are factory or sheeted? I say sheeted, he then says I could give you a ticket for that to, by now I know this guy is a knob and I shut down, I've already answered what I need to and thats it because I know whats coming, he gives a ticket for the dark windows, 135.00, but 82.00 if paid in two weeks, we were going to sheridan for that rodeo in a while so I paid it, uniforms and some peeps just don't mix. Don't get me wrong the darkies are a violation but then and there?

3 hours ago, Dasnake said:

You have noticed how many towns have a bylaw against engine brake use, but there was a town in montana a few years ago that mention the term "jake brake " on their bylaw sign, i thought that was odd and went to the jacob's engine brake website, and there they have a notice that states if you see any towns that mention the name jake brake on their signage to contact them and they will notify the town to cease and desist, kool.

The AK haul road comes into town at the bottom of the hill I live on.  The truckers are coming into town and hit the first stoplight not very far from here, maybe within a mile.  They all come down the hill with the retarders engaged, and most are empty. One day the people who have homes and kids sleeping will have enough and they will put up a sign like you mention. Anyway.  I always like the CAT engine retarders that they had on the 3406C models.  We have those and jake brakes at the one place I worked.  You could really get the whoa when you wanted it 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

The AK haul road comes into town at the bottom of the hill I live on.  The truckers are coming into town and hit the first stoplight not very far from here, maybe within a mile.  They all come down the hill with the retarders engaged, and most are empty. One day the people who have homes and kids sleeping will have enough and they will put up a sign like you mention. Anyway.  I always like the CAT engine retarders that they had on the 3406C models.  We have those and jake brakes at the one place I worked.  You could really get the whoa when you wanted it 

I don’t know how the brakes are categorically used but the fire trucks I ran had a two speed Jake, the bread truck gassers had a transmission retarder pedal where a clutch would be, my 5.9 Jake is not a “true” brake as it doesn’t open the exhaust valves, it’s an air pump activated clapper off the exhaust manifold, but it works like a hot damn, I’m usually loaded, camper, pulling a toad or a hunting trailer and it slows the rig down good, usually run around 16,000 to 18,000 lbs.

13 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Maybe 20 years ago a trucker buddy of mine who loved using the Jake brake would report every sign like that that he saw to Jacobs. 
 Most signs now say “thank you for not using your engine brakes”

The Jake on my C 15 cat is quite loud, but I am also very respectful by not using it after 9 pm and where signs are posted that say “thank you” on them. it also has three settings on it, two, four or six cylinders, It sounds pretty funny on two cylinders and it doesn’t do very much! But on six cylinders it is amazing how much it can slow the truck down which really saves the brakes!

• Like 1

Talking about loco horns,I have one in the shop,when the neighborhood dogs won't quite down i hook it to my shop air and give her a good blast in their direction, that usually quiets them down