Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Zip line build...??

Anybody ever built a zip line? Am building a tree house for the grandkids and was going to add a zip line. 10-12 feet off the ground and 50 feet long at most. Nothing deadly just something fun for them to zip on.

These kids are not wusses or scared of a scratch.  Not sure whether to build a seat, or just something to hang on.

Thoughts please? 

10 to 12 feet is a long drop - i def wouldnt do it unsupervised unless older kids 

How old are the grandkids? Depending on age maybe a flexible rubber seat off a swing set. 

I would suggest a T handle to hang from. Seat could be something to get caught in and not exit if or when needed

• Like 1

your anchor points need to be very strong, the amount of tension you need to put on the cable between the two points is substantial.  The guy in charge had a bunch of special tools for doing it, including pole setting truck and a bucket truck.  I have been around the construction of a couple but it was 22 to 25 years ago.

• Like 1

Bitty brings up a decent point.  My parents bought a kit on clearance and it's basically a plastic disk to sit on.

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

10 to 12 feet is a long drop - i def wouldnt do it unsupervised unless older kids 

images.jpeg.jpg

3 hours ago, Scott! said:

Bitty brings up a decent point.  My parents bought a kit on clearance and it's basically a plastic disk to sit on.

These are the best if the kids are old enough, it has a bar overhead to hold onto, 50' isn't the biggest span but 3/8" wire rope is good I wouldn't go below 5/16 and get stainless if you can. Tensioning the cable and then some kind of stop so they don't slam into the destination point and your platform your taking off from.

They will love it, likely draw a crowd...

The amount of force a 80 pound kid half way on a zip line puts on the anchors is tremendous.  You might end up with a pretty stout post on each end with guy wires. Pictures and video will be appreciated 

Hahaha, safety first. I tried (more than once actually) to string a rope from my tree fort to a tree and slide down it with a rake handle across the rope when I was a kid. I'd seen Donatello do it so many times that it seemed easy. When I fell (a long ways) the first time I assumed I did something wrong. I didn't have the guts to give it second try immediately, but I did go back for more and the result was the same every time.

Thanks for reminding me!!!

• Haha 2

I bought a kit years ago. Never put it up, still in box here someplace. It's like a steel trolley with two pulleys and a handle poking out each side to hang from. Cable runs through it. I think it's 40-50' and only 1/4" cable, maybe 5/16. 

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

I bought a kit years ago. Never put it up, still in box here someplace. It's like a steel trolley with two pulleys and a handle poking out each side to hang from. Cable runs through it. I think it's 40-50' and only 1/4" cable, maybe 5/16. 

Don't feel bad.  My parents kit sat in the box for 3? years before they finally put it in during the Rona.

For the Midwestern guys, it was bought when Gander Mountain went out of business.  That says a lot about how L mg it sat in the box. 😂

Screenshot_20200403-185846_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d8f83d10336a77b7b7d38a4fccb07a65.jpgMy neighbor has built a few. I have my doubts that they're very safe. He cut several branches off one tree and built a platform on it. Looks to me that the tree may die. I'm no arborist though. The tree the cable goes to has a pulley up high and another at the base then the cable is tied off to another tree. That is how he keeps and adjusts tension.  Doesn't look to be good for any of the trees. I forgot to mention the main zip line goes over the power line to his house. He some how put a piece of pvc there. He has some sort of harness. Probably a climber's harness as he rappels down afterwards. I think he is a little nuts but I guess he is having fun. Looked like a lot of work for a short ride. This is before he cut the branches off. 

• Confused 1

I put one up for my daughter that was store bought. It was a plastic t handle job with two rollers bolted between them. I will try to take pictures tomorrow if I can remember. You could duplicate it pretty easily with two pieces of steel and some pipe. It used cable clamps and a turnbuckle to secure it.

3 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

What could go wrong bitty 🤔

I don't appreciate electric unless it's doing it's intended job as much after my sister told me to pee on the fence when I was 3 . No way I would put the cable over the wire let alone zip over it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bitty said:

I don't appreciate electric unless it's doing it's intended job as much after my sister told me to pee on the fence when I was 3 . No way I would put the cable over the wire let alone zip over it

I hear that. I was thinking you posted that about the line over electric but it was redneck. You knew what I meant though. 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Did you ever get even with your sister?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

Did you ever get even with your sister?

No ..... Nothing would come close to that

• Haha 1