Jump to content

5088 3 pt claws


66 Series Farmer
 Share

Recommended Posts

The 5088 I bought has the claw quick hitch 3 pt arms. Not a huge fan of them. Assume you have to have the ball inserts for them like the old John Deere’s. Where could a guy even begin to find these ? Really just thinking about going to salvage yard and replacing the whole lower arms. 
 

any thoughts or experiences with them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

they are cat 3 balls on mine presuming factory size, you could put 2 on it if you wanted and dont think u need the 3 i suppose

I dont like the claws either but thats just me, some folks like them i have heard 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

they are cat 3 balls on mine presuming factory size, you could put 2 on it if you wanted and dont think u need the 3 i suppose

I dont like the claws either but thats just me, some folks like them i have heard 

Haven’t tried mine Yet obviously But just not a fan of the look, which I know is silly. I do know I fell in love with the quick hitch on my 1466. I hook and unhook from the brush mower and my heavy blade a lot by myself 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, 66 Series Farmer said:

Haven’t tried mine Yet obviously But just not a fan of the look, which I know is silly. I do know I fell in love with the quick hitch on my 1466. I hook and unhook from the brush mower and my heavy blade a lot by myself 

If I remember correctly bitty cut the hooks off and welded ball on a while back

try searching it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

I haven't gotten to try mine either, they make guide plates to help aline them.      I have thought about measuring and see if the arms from a 66 would fit 

The standard ball lower links that fit 5X88 series tractors are the same as used on 86 series, 2+2s . Should be easy enough to find. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2020 at 8:43 AM, 66 Series Farmer said:

Haven’t tried mine Yet obviously But just not a fan of the look, which I know is silly. I do know I fell in love with the quick hitch on my 1466. I hook and unhook from the brush mower and my heavy blade a lot by myself 

Don't like the look, that is not silly, it's your tractor. Put it the way you like it. I agree don't like the claw hitch at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, dannyredfan said:

I haven't gotten to try mine either, they make guide plates to help aline them.      I have thought about measuring and see if the arms from a 66 would fit 

Rusty Shakelford put arms off a Magnum on his 1456, so I think 66 series would work on an 88 series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 88power said:

Would you say they are better than a quick hitch?

I would say yes coming from a quick hitch:

1. Quick hitch always seems to be in the way when not using it, so you have to take it off.
2. You inevitably hit your head on the quick hitch if you don't take it off.
3. Looks like more flexibility in what you can hitch to it. Quick hitch is limited to quick hitch compatible implements.

A set of those would be really nice for hooking up the discbine and the bale wrapper. Neither one is quick hitch compatible and both are a pain to hitch up to the point where you just want to hook them up once and leave them on the tractor, but we don't have enough tractors to do that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 88power said:

Would you say they are better than a quick hitch?

I have never had a quick hitch. So I can't answer.

But with the claws, you can back under the implement and raise the arms only.  With the standard style you have to hold them out, raise and or lower and it usually takes 2 people to do so.

JMO,  but that is why I like them better.

Matt

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I would say yes coming from a quick hitch:

1. Quick hitch always seems to be in the way when not using it, so you have to take it off.
2. You inevitably hit your head on the quick hitch if you don't take it off.
3. Looks like more flexibility in what you can hitch to it. Quick hitch is limited to quick hitch compatible implements.

A set of those would be really nice for hooking up the discbine and the bale wrapper. Neither one is quick hitch compatible and both are a pain to hitch up to the point where you just want to hook them up once and leave them on the tractor, but we don't have enough tractors to do that.

 

39 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

I have never had a quick hitch. So I can't answer.

But with the claws, you can back under the implement and raise the arms only.  With the standard style you have to hold them out, raise and or lower and it usually takes 2 people to do so.

JMO,  but that is why I like them better.

Matt

We have had quick hitches for years mainly for two point drills and then they had someone talk them in to buying a set of claws but when they sold them to them they never gave them the balls or the lower link adjustable spacer (without the spacer even with a rubber strap it wouldnt be as rigid as a quick hitch like we would like) so now we are in the same shape as the op on that one tractor i asked because i didnt know if it be worth fooling with or not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...