Sign in to follow this  
Ian Beale

Obviously the bloke with the rubber hammer came by

‘‘Twas not I!!

I am just accused of “breaking the horn off of an anvil with a rubber mallet”.

And the horn is intact on this one.  But it looks like the face has been broken at the Hardie Hole.

That took some doing!!!

I was half expecting to see Wiley chayote squished under that anvil with the roadrunner looking at it 

• Haha 1

My comment was a political one... so I erred on the side of caution and didn’t say what I was thinking about someone bouncing someone else’s head off of it. Poor Nancy....

• Like 1

im thinking maybe it was the guy with the glass spoon  if it wasnt the rubber hammer guy

I’d still buy one like that for the right money, especially if the other part was still there. 

45 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’d still buy one like that for the right money, especially if the other part was still there. 

The other part is missing

The anvil here has been broke at the Hardie hole and I never saw the missing piece. My dads story was a neighbor that would buy anything if it was cheap bought it at auction and then gave or traded my dad for something.

Don't use it real often but have done some serious beating on it. And never had much chipping or more damage. 

I’ve seen them broken at the hardy hole, pritchell hole, waist, horn, foot, bick, and about everywhere else. I purchased one that had corners broken off near the bick.  In Richard Postman’s Anvils in America book there is a section on repair. I followed those steps and aside from a color difference you can’t tell the one I have was ever fixed. Still has a nice ring and good rebound.  It is an English made Peter Wright, marked at 189lbs. They are a solid wrought anvil vs some of the American makers who used a tool steel face. The shape of the one pictured above leads me to think it is probably a Peter Wright or possibly a Mousehole anvil.