May 14th 1985, last IH from Rock Island

BrodyNC

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

Go buy CH Wendel's Allis Chalmers book.  Its a good read AC built just as many different products with their name on them as IH.  In fact 1979 IH had 41 total factories while AC had 71 factories.  You sound like you weren't even born when AC was still in business.  

AC's SIZE. they were diversified yes. but they were not even on the Fortune 500 TOP 100 list of largest companies number of factories has absolutely nothing to do with the size of a company.  Whats a factory? 10,000 square ft or 1 million!? 

22 hours ago, SDman said:

Matt, I pulled this off of Machinery Pete’s page last week. The watermark appears to be from Heritage Iron, so I should give credit where it’s due. It’s got the engine serial # for #4452 listed. Should help clear this up...or maybe not. 

578CFD8D-9CB0-461F-82E9-E06865314007.png

Can anyone clear up the print on this page or read it.  I can make out somethings on there but others not so much. 

21 hours ago, hillman said:

AC's SIZE. they were diversified yes. but they were not even on the Fortune 500 TOP 100 list of largest companies number of factories has absolutely nothing to do with the size of a company.  Whats a factory? 10,000 square ft or 1 million!? 

I'm not debating the size of the two companies.  Just the fact that AC had their hands in just as many different fields and products as IH did if not more so.  Some people like to think the world wouldn't exist without IH. Thats fine to have that opinion but it should be "their" world, not "the" world.  BTW, AC did dabble in refrigerators  too.

• Like 2

The line card should show if the engine serial matches the chassis -i was told it still existed....but that's the story i got from the man who was there when the switcharoo took place and he wasn't a B.S.er -had no reason to be and was an active IH collector. An seriously why would they switch the tires? after all the hoopla was over it was loaded up and shipped to the Smithsonian.

AC was extremely diversified, too much so probably. They did have I believe the second largest foundry/machine shop in the world. One bigger in Germany if memory serves. Here's a few pics of some of the less common things they made. The transformer is on a pole at the farm, walked under that thing for almost 50 years before spotting the logo!

fullsizeoutput_56.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_31.jpeg

DSC00253.JPG

100_0853.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 12:34 PM, IHC5488 said:

Can anyone clear up the print on this page or read it.  I can make out somethings on there but others not so much. 

Here is the photo from Heritage Iron's Facebook page.

Final_IH_Build_Sheet.jpg

1 hour ago, IHC5488 said:

The last digits on the engine serial number is 08544??

That's what it looks like to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:36 PM, IHC5488 said:

Drive to Racine, open the engine and mystery solved.

Matt, I got to looking at some old pics on my phone today....and low and behold I have a pic of the serial # tag of 4452. I’ll let you and others decide if the serial# plate looks “molested”. This was taken in Racine last year. 

359E8DCE-FF37-45DF-8519-09383EFA9302.jpeg

7CD5B290-8A1F-4964-83F4-BD522E946F7C.png

On 5/14/2020 at 3:15 PM, drglinski said:

This comes up every May.  Why do we have to keep being reminded of it? One of the worst days in history. 

That may be a little overly dramatic, off the top of my head Pearl Harbor and 9/11 spring to mind. As far as the merger they largely slapped a new grill on and changed the badging and kept on rolling.