BrodyNC

May 14th 1985, last IH from Rock Island

Saw this on Facebook and thought I would share. Pretty cool looking tractor. 

479E6370-8173-4297-B015-06B928D89816.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep, was lucky enough to see this same tractor at the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana back in October 2017. They had it at the CaseIH booth in the expo of the convention. There was also a 540 quad track and Case Steam Engine at the booth. I was happy to check this off my IH sightings list☺️👌

83A60F83-5533-4E3F-8F4B-715FEBD02C54.thumb.jpeg.649eca725cfc6e1e0028fa707dd8e463.jpeg

• Like 4

This comes up every May.  Why do we have to keep being reminded of it? One of the worst days in history. 

i have a belt buckle that is serial number 001...shows a 2 wheel drive tractor, 4 wheel drive and a Axial Flow combine

• Like 1

Huron 2014

E5E0DAD0-42D5-49D9-9661-12F6601405EF.jpeg

• Like 4

looks like a likeness of a farmall  F-12 on the buckle?

8 hours ago, Whiskey Bent said:

Tires are worn down purty good in the FFA picture,  musta got some use.

Original tires got changed out as they probably dry rotted. 

I find it ironic that the union flags are so conspicuously present in that photo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Deleted

Edited by Rick G.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:24 PM, Whiskey Bent said:

Tires are worn down purty good in the FFA picture,  musta got some use.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:55 AM, jass1660 said:

Original tires got changed out as they probably dry rotted. 

My thoughts on those tires being switched out are rice tires are very hard on grass surfaces, I’m sure if they were taking the tractor to outdoor shows they would do a lot of damage when moving the tractor around.

They probably sourced the most shallow tread tires just for that reason without going to a turf tire! LOL 

• Like 1

UAW flags:

If you are closing the plant and putting them all out of work you have to acknowledge the heritage on both sides.....company and employees. 

I always thought the tire choice off the line was odd for a show piece tractor that would never be sold.  Not really representative of the majority of the run.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

IBEW flags:

If you are closing the plant and putting them all out of work you have to acknowledge the heritage on both sides.....company and employees. 

I don't think those are IBEW flags. If they had IBEW employees they might still be in business. 😀😀

Yeah, you caught me before the edit....work at a utility with IBEW linemen, just typed it right out without even thinking!

I can't say how many times I've seen this tractor in person.  But where I live in Illinois it shows up to a lot of bigger shows I go to. 

On 5/15/2020 at 1:41 AM, Fred B said:

looks like a likeness of a farmall  F-12 on the buckle?

Concur!

It also said first Farmall. It would have been the first one built there, not the first one built. 

• Like 1

when going to service school in racine got to go to the old wearhouse and see this tractor and many other old ih and the case truck.

• Like 1

IH was and is still the best manufacturer of all time.Name another company that built such a wide range of products and such great success at it.From freezers to 4wd tractors.Guns to quarry trucks.Passenger vehicle's to combines,corn planters to freight trucks.It wasn't the company's product lines fault as a whole.Bad management at a bad time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jacka said:

IH was and is still the best manufacturer of all time.Name another company that built such a wide range of products and such great success at it.From freezers to 4wd tractors.Guns to quarry trucks.Passenger vehicle's to combines,corn planters to freight trucks.It wasn't the company's product lines fault as a whole.Bad management at a bad time.

Allis Chalmers was more diversified then IH but nobody cares because,  well they are Allis Chalmers.  I kinda fall into that group.  Also, my opinion is IH being “The greatest” because of their diversification is what hastened their downfall.  Trying to stay on top over JD, take on Caterpillar; and Ford/GM/Dodge spread themselves thin and it showed during the last half of their existence. Always wondered were IH would have been if they just concentrated on Ag. IH was there greatest but Deere was the smartest.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Allis Chalmers was more diversified then IH but nobody cares because,  well they are Allis Chalmers.  I kinda fall into that group.  Also, my opinion is IH being “The greatest” because of their diversification is what hastened their downfall.  Trying to stay on top over JD, take on Caterpillar; and Ford/GM/Dodge spread themselves thin and it showed during the last half of their existence. Always wondered were IH would have been if they just concentrated on Ag. IH was there greatest but Deere was the smartest.

I know greatest might be over the top ,but I don't think Allis had trucks ,cars ,guns,frezzers,along with their rest of their stuff.I have no idea if they owned companies under with other names under their unbrealla.

IH's name was on all those products.

5 minutes ago, Jacka said:

I know greatest might be over the top ,but I don't think Allis had trucks ,cars ,guns,frezzers,along with their rest of their stuff.I have no idea if they owned companies under with other names under their unbrealla.

IH's name was on all those products.

No they built steam and oil engines the size of a 2 story house for ships, factories, and power generation for cities.  I would bet somewhere IH had a factory powered by engines built by AC.  They built generators that went into dams like Hoover dam.  They either built or were a part of development of jet engines and nuclear reactors.  They built flower mills, compressors, turbines, rock crushers, and construction lineup that was more extensive then IH.  There is more stuff that I will look up later. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

No they built steam and oil engines the size of a 2 story house for ships, factories, and power generation for cities.  I would bet somewhere IH had a factory powered by engines built by AC.  They built generators that went into dams like Hoover dam.  They either built or were a part of development of jet engines and nuclear reactors.  They built flower mills, compressors, turbines, rock crushers, and construction lineup that was more extensive then IH.  There is more stuff that I will look up later. 

Transformers and regulators as well.

We are still taking them down when they go bad in our area.  Hoover dam has some of these on display in on one of their buildings.

Matt

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Yes but were they all under Allis Chambers or were they under another name.I was not aware of the other aspects of A.C.. Did these products all have Allis Chambers name on it or another subsidiary.I am not arguing but as far as many different products seen by many on a daily basis with the IH stamp on it,I have yet to see a Allis Chambers pickup.

7 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

UAW flags:

I always thought the tire choice off the line was odd for a show piece tractor that would never be sold.  Not really representative of the majority of the run.

Maybe they were scrapping the bottom of the tire barrel and the rice tires was what they had left??

• Like 1