Sign in to follow this  
1586 Jeff

Massey 1805. What is the good, bad, and the ugly ?

I am going to look at a Massey 1805.  What is the good, bad, and ugly about these old critters?

Are parts available for them?  I am told that the PTO is broken....

Doubt if I could get $1000 for mine. Been very dependable, had it 33 yrs. Don't use it much, just for stuff I don't want to do with a nice tractor, tough nasty jobs. Got 24.5 duals so it floats good. Some parts are NLA but have been able to find what I have needed used. Brakes are a challenge to keep working for me, but mostly cause I only use it about a week a year. It was the right decision in 1987 at $6250 with new rubber and 2700 hrs vs the 8440 I was looking at for $13500. 

17 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Doubt if I could get $1000 for mine. Been very dependable, had it 33 yrs. Don't use it much, just for stuff I don't want to do with a nice tractor, tough nasty jobs. Got 24.5 duals so it floats good. Some parts are NLA but have been able to find what I have needed used. Brakes are a challenge to keep working for me, but mostly cause I only use it about a week a year. It was the right decision in 1987 at $6250 with new rubber and 2700 hrs vs the 8440 I was looking at for $13500. 

How wide would it be with the duals taken off?

The general consensus is those series of Massey 4x4s were generally a POS.  All you need to do is google or search NewAgtalk.  They are a poor copy of the Versatile 145.  We had a 1800 which is the same tractor just with the Cat 3160 instead of the 3208.  We had ours for 8 years and did fine with it but I’ve been told we were one of the luckier ones too. No major break downs but did have some electrical issues and belts running the hydraulic pumps.  Driving the pumps off the driveshaft was one of the stupidest ideas I’ve seen.  My opinion is unless it’s free is to pass. 

• Thanks 1

In

3 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

The general consensus is those series of Massey 4x4s were generally a POS.  All you need to do is google or search NewAgtalk.  They are a poor copy of the Versatile 145.  We had a 1800 which is the same tractor just with the Cat 3160 instead of the 3208.  We had ours for 8 years and did fine with it but I’ve been told we were one of the luckier ones too. No major break downs but did have some electrical issues and belts running the hydraulic pumps.  Driving the pumps off the driveshaft was one of the stupidest ideas I’ve seen.  My opinion is unless it’s free is to pass. 

In mid 90s I had a redesigned bracket fabricated to hold the hyd pumps. took care of those issues.

• Like 1

I bought a low houred used one back in late 70's cheap.  Good floatation on soft ground------pulled grain cart, 32 ft field cultivator, disk, land plane, etc.

Seems like the rear axle was common with a MF 1165 ??.  Sorta crude, but simple 200 hp 4x4.  I talked with a CAT service rep------he said don't over fuel or lug them.  Keep rpm's up at natural pump setting.

Would I buy one new-------no.   Would I buy what I bought for the $$$$---------yes.

Remember------it is a 50+ yr old tractor now.

DD

20 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

How wide would it be with the duals taken off?

100 inches with no duals, 154 inches dualed

On 5/15/2020 at 12:23 PM, 1480x3 said:

100 inches with no duals, 154 inches dualed

Please check your PM messages.  I would like to speak to you.

Thank you!!

5 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Please check your PM messages.  I would like to speak to you.

Thank you!!

Got your #, will call soon, got absessed tooth, high swelling & pain, sorry for delay, look forward to talking to you, probly  call Mon, went to ER this AM