Sign in to follow this  
Lazy WP

Portable welder

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I called the local welding supply store. They are a distributor of most major brands. He told me that they can sell the Hobart for the same money as the farm store but if I wanted it I should go to the farm store. He said there is a reason he doesn’t push them. 

We only see Hobart at box type stores here.  You see red, blue, and yellow here mostly.  If your buying for occasional use and the price is right, sure why not. If your making a long term purchase, go red or blue.  Maybe some yellow.  

3 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Ak or finney could probably answer this better than I. But look at the duty cycle and kw. If it's got a good name brand engine and warranty is decent I wouldn't be afraid of the Hobart. I mean its not like your welding every day. If it has a foreign motor that would turn me away. I prefer Kohler or onan or even kawasaki. Not that they arent foreign. I've got an older Hobart stick welder and it's a bad mo fo. 

I'd pay the difference strictly for resale if nothing else. Much over 500 difference I'd be looking hard at that hobart 

Welding and duty cycle is an interesting subject, If your just working on a personal projects and want a welder, it’s not so critical. I would suggest around 50% for somewhere close to 150 amps as a starting point.  You can weld SMAW (stick) pretty good with this for the home. A guy making a living a living with a rig is a whole different subject

my opinion is this, you can buy an older full size machine for reasonable prices, have some work done and have a lifetime machine and still be money ahead.

8 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Well the local rental store has a nice welder for 175/week. I am going that way for now and if I can find a bargain on one I will get it later. 
There will be 3 of us working at this project but I am probably the only one who welds. 

sounds like a no brainer, rent it, if you like it watch for one for sale. Just do us all a favor an pd pick up a fire extinguisher to keep handy

10 hours ago, AKwelder said:

ust do us all a favor an pd pick up a fire extinguisher to

Probably the best advice yet. Seen lots of fires started by welding fence around here. It's getting more and more popular and guys leave for whatever reason and it lights up. The last time I did one had to have a tank of water and put a bucket of water around each post before welding. It was so dry the instant you struck an arc you felt yohr legs getting hot from the fire. 🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, AKwelder said:

We only see Hobart at box type stores here.  You see red, blue, and yellow here mostly.  If your buying for occasional use and the price is right, sure why not. If your making a long term purchase, go red or blue.  Maybe some yellow.  

Welding and duty cycle is an interesting subject, If your just working on a personal projects and want a welder, it’s not so critical. I would suggest around 50% for somewhere close to 150 amps as a starting point.  You can weld SMAW (stick) pretty good with this for the home. A guy making a living a living with a rig is a whole different subject

my opinion is this, you can buy an older full size machine for reasonable prices, have some work done and have a lifetime machine and still be money ahead.

sounds like a no brainer, rent it, if you like it watch for one for sale. Just do us all a favor an pd pick up a fire extinguisher to keep handy

Funny you should mention fire extinguishers. Back when I was living up by Sandy, I was redoing some corrals up behind Bill Schimits house. Can’t remember why, but I didn’t have my fire truck up there. Yep, the ranch owned a nice one. Anyway somehow I managed to set the place on fire. Called Shawn, and he sent Danno and Uncle Bill, who at that time was 80. They show up with gallon milk jugs of water. We got the fire out but from then on I took the fire truck.  

At work we have a bunch of the old water ones that you pressurize with a compressor.  Very handy and you can pre-wet areas as needed.  

• Like 2

I've put out several fires with the old forest service "pi$$ pump" back pack.

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Funny you should mention fire extinguishers. Back when I was living up by Sandy, I was redoing some corrals up behind Bill Schimits house. Can’t remember why, but I didn’t have my fire truck up there. Yep, the ranch owned a nice one. Anyway somehow I managed to set the place on fire. Called Shawn, and he sent Danno and Uncle Bill, who at that time was 80. They show up with gallon milk jugs of water. We got the fire out but from then on I took the fire truck.  

So.............now I'm "Sandy" LOL😂

The one good thing that came out of the horrible summer of 2012 was almost every ranch built their own personal fire rig and most keep them ready to go. 

I had one until we built a FD owned 6x6 then a grass rig. Keep it at the ranch and I have it handy for any welding away from a hydrant. I also take it out to the hayfield when I'm baling. 

These outfits spread around have kept many a small fire from getting large. 

1002435698_C4back.jpg.178f48b835b1972b490256010cd3f5b3.jpg

• Like 2

If you are looking for something on a budget, I bought a Harbor freight Titanium multiprocess 200 amp welder last year that has been great.  I have an old Airco Bumblebee 250 (rebadged Miller Dialarc), but it is shop bound.  This HF welder has been great.  it is inverter tech so it only weighs about 25 lbs, something I appreciate more as I get older.  It will do stick mig and DC Tig.  It comes with everything you need as far as accessories.  It will run a spool gun, but hat is sold separately.  I have used it stick and for flux core.  I had never used flux core before and only heard bad things about it.  if you remember to reverse the polarity it actually works well, especially outdoors like you will be.  I am running 0.35 flux core.  It will run 240 or 125 (derated).  You would need to run it off a separate gen, but it only costs @$650.00.  I have read up on it and looked at a lot of videos before I bought it.  The published duty cycle is not high, but in actual usage I have not seen a review where it was tripped, despite one guy hardfacing a loader bucket with it!  It is actually a nice piece of equipment despite coming from harbor Freight!

https://www.harborfreight.com/Unlimited-200-Professional-Multiprocess-Welder-with-120240-Volt-Input-64806.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzEyNTU1NjMiLCJza3UiOiI2NDgwNiIsImlzIjoiNjQ5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6IjEyOTU2In0%3D &cid=newgetcpns050120h

Brother in law has an older miller bobcat 250 I think that’s on propane uses forklift style tanks can sit for a year and as long as the battery is up will start no dealing with bad gas he bought it used from a high rise construction company 

• Like 1

Years ago I was hired to weld caps on gas wells after they were plugged in Mammoth Cave park. It seems a company held the mineral rights to part of the park and when it was discovered the park bought them out and company come in and plug the wells. Company that did the plugging was one I had worked for before in eastern KY on gas wells.

First day when the dozer showed up and started building roads to the wells the park rangers liked to have vapor locked. First well plugged and I backed in to weld cap on. Park ranger wanted to know how I intended to deal with the fires, I told him I let them burn, I don't put them out I start them. park ranger got on his radio and in a few minutes I had a green pickup full of water extinguishers beside me. 

• Like 4

On 5/14/2020 at 8:07 PM, AKwelder said:

What is a yellow unit?

Started gathering critters at 8 were done at 10. A whopping 23 head of calves. 12 boys. My wife cut most of them. I cut a few. 
The horse I used tried to kill him self 3 years ago and this was the third time I have been on him in 3 years. He did absolutely amazing. He is pretty high strung normally but today he was a old broke horse.

We used a single Nordfork. 2 ropers. Had a lot fun 

96DBAEAC-1102-45FC-B982-1FA667F343C9.jpeg

64A2ECF0-2689-44AF-99AB-23D7774C717A.jpeg

CE6AB713-A8D3-44DF-B230-25F9A800BB35.jpeg

6E84C8EE-7FDE-435A-A036-826A02983206.jpeg

3190E6EF-DA14-4193-A192-561AE082C40B.jpeg

02DD7A60-E861-4AAF-B64E-322D457038F1.jpeg

32C052B8-088E-4EB2-8EA5-9CA312DBE93E.jpeg

74780DD0-A82B-450A-9E0E-18581A6FC673.jpeg

A7CAF4D9-48EE-4218-A858-9A11FB41060A.jpeg

F0BCB70C-8F3E-4EF6-A27D-233824E8BEEA.jpeg

56B0D834-82AD-4350-812E-75A93E5327EC.jpeg

E28516F2-C531-44D6-B870-7068486821F1.jpeg

0FBE151F-A8E0-4B1D-92A8-5F5B014DB84B.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice pictures Nick!

We used two Nordforks at a branding I was to a week ago. If the person putting them on is practiced at it, works real well. 

Ryan and Jaime (Danno's sister) brought them and their kids knew how to put them on. 

Still not very good at getting pics of a branding. 😪

1121435806_nordfork1.thumb.jpg.60722e2948b03f9665142e9a511f8fc7.jpg

459180296_nordfork2.thumb.jpg.ce1f3071de4f969208fa418ec04e565a.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 8:07 AM, Missouri Mule said:

Probably the best advice yet. Seen lots of fires started by welding fence around here. It's getting more and more popular and guys leave for whatever reason and it lights up. The last time I did one had to have a tank of water and put a bucket of water around each post before welding. It was so dry the instant you struck an arc you felt yohr legs getting hot from the fire. 🤦‍♂️

Got mine all set up on a trailer. Pulls kinda hard with the 4 wheeler but I usually use it and fill my sprayer up with water. That way I can just spray it if needed. If it's dry I'll take it and wet down all around where I'm welding at. 

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Nice pictures Nick!

We used two Nordforks at a branding I was to a week ago. If the person putting them on is practiced at it, works real well. 

Ryan and Jaime (Danno's sister) brought them and their kids knew how to put them on. 

Still not very good at getting pics of a branding. 😪

1121435806_nordfork1.thumb.jpg.60722e2948b03f9665142e9a511f8fc7.jpg

459180296_nordfork2.thumb.jpg.ce1f3071de4f969208fa418ec04e565a.jpg

Ryan is how I got started using them. Even with only 23 head, I would hate to have to wrestle/mug them. We did wrestle 1 since the kid helping him had never wrestled 1 before. Lisa is excellent at using a fork and as long as the ropers catch both feet they work great. Catch only 1 foot and you need help directing the calf towards the fork. 
This phone I have takes great pictures. What I have learned about taking pictures is make sure you get 2 ears in the picture. People forgive you as long as they see 2 ears!🤪

• Like 1

The Sandy part came from being in a hurry and tired of arguing with my phone over what I wanted to say. 

• Haha 1

More pictures 

Tipped some horns on a couple heifers. My wife’s social distancing measuring device. If she can buzz you with her yellow tickler you are to close. 
Having a Barely pop with the crew

My wild man who isn’t so wild holding a calf in the fork 

817AE66F-F40B-4EB1-8DD3-4731756BC9DC.jpeg

4D829C19-27CE-4019-9CEA-63664BC8E146.jpeg

8492FCB5-7EEF-434C-8833-7CC4F9F3F569.jpeg

50AFA255-CA19-4763-94F1-77CD8B90E656.jpeg

3A8C0AE6-48E5-4489-BBB2-5D30A75D3AAA.jpeg

• Like 2

Been a bit late to this thread.  There is a difference between Miller and Hobart is that Hobart is Miller's economy line.  Granted most of the parts are Miller parts, there are subtle differences.  Often times there are less features on Hobart, or something is plastic on a Hobart where Miller has a metal part, or aluminum vs copper.  Often times there are different internal components between the two.  Not exactly a re-badged machine with different paint and decals.  Lincoln has the same thing, but they brand everything Lincoln. Often times the model numbers are similar and appearances look alike,  but stock numbers are different and internal parts different.  Supply chain is different too, some are sold via industrial dealers like Airgas, Praxair, local distributor, and the big box stores,  or hardware stores.    All Miller dealers can sell Hobart machines but not all Hobart dealers can sell Miller. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, M35A2 said:

Been a bit late to this thread.  There is a difference between Miller and Hobart is that Hobart is Miller's economy line.  Granted most of the parts are Miller parts, there are subtle differences.  Often times there are less features on Hobart, or something is plastic on a Hobart where Miller has a metal part, or aluminum vs copper.  Often times there are different internal components between the two.  Not exactly a re-badged machine with different paint and decals.  Lincoln has the same thing, but they brand everything Lincoln. Often times the model numbers are similar and appearances look alike,  but stock numbers are different and internal parts different.  Supply chain is different too, some are sold via industrial dealers like Airgas, Praxair, local distributor, and the big box stores,  or hardware stores.    All Miller dealers can sell Hobart machines but not all Hobart dealers can sell Miller. 

I want to buy one for occasional use and for generator. Looking at the Hobart guess if I don’t like it I always can buy a different one