Sign in to follow this  
Lazy WP

Portable welder

I am going to build corrals this next week. Taking 13 days off from the truck to do it. I thought I had a used welder bought but it appears it might not pan out so now I am looking at a welder from Orscheln, the cityfied farm store. Hobart 4500 watt generator/welder for around $1700? 
Good, bad or https://www.hobartwelders.com/equipment/welders/engine-driven/champion-145-recoil-stick-welder-generator-m00393

For a one time use I would consider renting a commercial machine.  I do like our little Hobart AC/DC 165DC/225AC stick mate but have not used their  little gen-set type welder.

A positive is you get a generator for other uses.  A miller bobcat 225 is a much more capable machine but also costs about 3K.   One downfall of that is it is only 30 percent duty cycle at 130 amps which means you can only weld 3 minutes out of 10 at 130 amps.  Not sure of the pace you plan to perform the work at .  One person working it would probably get the job done.  It’s only DC but that shouldn’t be an issue.  I weld 6011 DC reverse with good results.  We have a good welding supply place close to us that rents machines reasonably but that might not be the case in your area.  

Well the local rental store has a nice welder for 175/week. I am going that way for now and if I can find a bargain on one I will get it later. 
There will be 3 of us working at this project but I am probably the only one who welds. 

Good topic Nick! I was thinking of starting a thread for the same reason, if you don't mind, I'll just join yours. 

If I may add a question, has anyone experience with the wire feed attachment using flux core???

A negative that I see right off is cable length. 

I have no experience with flux core, any more negatives? 

6 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Good topic Nick! I was thinking of starting a thread for the same reason, if you don't mind, I'll just join yours. 

If I may add a question, has anyone experience with the wire feed attachment using flux core???

Positive faster than stick, downside splatter...wire feeders are spendy.

• Thanks 1

13 days is all? I been working on mine for about 5 years now and progress has slowed to very little in the last year and a half. Don’t see it picking up anytime soon with warmer temps on the way either

30 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

We have a Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder we run off a miller bobcat 225.  Use Lincoln inner shield 212 .045 wire.  Works really well lots of penetration and good for out of position work.  I have used in with gas inside feed wagons where I could reach and it worked good also.  I got ours used from our welding place off rent so it wasn’t too bad for cost.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

13 days is all? I been working on mine for about 5 years now and progress has slowed to very little in the last year and a half. Don’t see it picking up anytime soon with warmer temps on the way either

Right now we have almost enough to hold GENTLE HORSES. No way to restrain anything. I really need to tip some horns since we never touched them last spring when we branded. I have horses enough to stretch out a 900 pound yearling but I really don’t wanna. 
This go around we are going to try to finish the outside and get the Bud box done. Would really like to get the squeeze alley complete but we’ll see. 
I really wanna drink a few barley pops and enjoy a couple days with my wife. Gonna drag 2 horses out to Pueblo Colorado and help my father in law brand his calves. Probably take about as long as Sandhillers branding did but I don’t think there’s gonna be 25 calves. I WILL GET PICTURES 

• Like 2

Dad and I bought this probably 10 years ago. Havent ever regretted it. I believe at the time we went with the 250 to get the 10kw larger generator. Dont quote me on that thinking the 225 is only 9kw or thereof. I just rolled 101hrs the other day. I picked up this s32p mig gun reasonable used. It has a 12 or 15' tweco gun. .030 flux core. Yes you have some spatter but for farm gates and thin repair jobs who cares. This is capable of using gas but doubt it would ever be practical. You just hook your positive lead up and carry it wherever. Since theres no real guts in it if you run smaller spools it's pretty light weight. It does have to have a small voltage sensing lead hooked up similar to a ground as well as the ground. I actually just hook it right on the ground lead and it works. We have stick, and tig, and spoolgun as well though I've never used them that was kinda Dads baby. The only complaint in have with this welder and I know others the same is if it sets a few weeks or even a month it has a hard time picking up fuel from the tank that's mounted on bottom. Since day 1 it did this. We replaced the fuel pump under warranty and still does it. Our solution was to put an inline primer bulb for an outboard motor inline behind the door. I just reach in there, check the oil, give her a few squeezes and fire it up. Works much better than cranking on it for 30 seconds trying to get fuel to pickup. Theres several things I could do like a little fuel pump but this works for me. If you've been using it some it wont have any trouble. I bought this old enclosed trailer for $500 I keep it in. Worth every penny to keep all your welding stuff in and dry out of the elements. 

20200514_141503.jpg

20200514_141516.jpg

20200514_141528.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Well the local rental store has a nice welder for 175/week. I am going that way for now and if I can find a bargain on one I will get it later. 
There will be 3 of us working at this project but I am probably the only one who welds. 

i think that is a great choice for just a short term job, give you time to shop for one if you think you might need one for future work - I have a portable welder but not motor drive, use a generator to run it on for remote jobs. I know its not optimal but I wanted the portability w/out having to have a motor running when i wanted to use it inside as its my only mig machine. 

33 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i think that is a great choice for just a short term job, give you time to shop for one if you think you might need one for future work - I have a portable welder but not motor drive, use a generator to run it on for remote jobs. I know its not optimal but I wanted the portability w/out having to have a motor running when i wanted to use it inside as its my only mig machine. 

I have an antique welder in the garage. I bought a 12 kw pto generator and thought I had it made. Generator was junk. Traded it for a 73 Dodge pickup that I put a spike bale thingy in. 

Not to hijack thread what are different between Hobart and miller? Looking at a Hobart from box store.

19 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I have an antique welder in the garage. I bought a 12 kw pto generator and thought I had it made. Generator was junk. Traded it for a 73 Dodge pickup that I put a spike bale thingy in. 

well fooey, so much for the generator but NICE TRADE!!!! - the new small stick/mig combo units dont take huge gen sets to run on 110 and thats mostly all u need on pipe building anyway for the most part. Flux wire or stick on that pipe should be good to go!!!! We had a generator so it was a no brainer for us. I got one of the 110/220 units so far so good with it. Its DC only tho on stick. 

4 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Not to hijack thread what are different between Hobart and miller? Looking at a Hobart from box store.

Maybe I’m wrong and I don’t even know the specs on Hobart welder/generators but I think Hobart is more for hobby welder or lighter duty stuff. What I do know is you don’t want to jump a Hobart from a vehicle if it has a low battery. It will fry the ecm. That comes from a neighbor that fixes all kinds of welders but his biggest business is in the Lincoln pipeline welders

16 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I have an antique welder in the garage. I bought a 12 kw pto generator and thought I had it made. Generator was junk. 

...Ahh...WP,    I am also a member of that exclusive club...having brought , in this case, a 7.5 kva     P.O.S.  … with no comeback...….

...as for the  Welder.....big is better.....I just  swap time with a Mate who has a Three cylinder    Perkins powered Lincoln...….then you can repair the  rootrake on the D6 ...as well as do any small jobs in the field.....like repairing   the smashed  crush   ….after dehorning    our overweight house cow !!!...…..Plus with a decent Gen/Welder combo...you can have a couple of blokes   running other electrical equipment...….

Mike

12 minutes ago, dale560 said:

the hobarts nowdays not sure about older ones, are just the less feature laden units and some have detent selectors vs rheostatic type that are truly variable settings vs preset selections per detent. Both made by Miller as you know, just less features for a more competitive price range from my understanding. I havent heard any notable bad things about the hobarts and they also still make txformer type vs new rectifier type machines at the box stores like Tractor Supply. 

1 minute ago, searcyfarms said:

the hobarts nowdays not sure about older ones, are just the less feature laden units and some have detent selectors vs rheostatic type that are truly variable settings vs preset selections per detent. Both made by Miller as you know, just less features for a more competitive price range from my understanding. I havent heard any notable bad things about the hobarts and they also still make txformer type vs new rectifier type machines at the box stores like Tractor Supply. 

I was looking at tractor supply one

most all of theirs if im not mistaken are txformer units - the mvp210 are very good from what i have heard 

29 minutes ago, dale560 said:

The color of the paint and the decals. They use the same parts. 

I have a Lincoln "weld-n-power" unit I have had it since 82 and it has saved my butt many times both as welder and as a generator!

7 minutes ago, SONNY said:

I have a Lincoln "weld-n-power" unit I have had it since 82 and it has saved my butt many times both as welder and as a generator!

Just looked the Hobart is 2999 the Lincoln is 3499 which is better?

Ak or finney could probably answer this better than I. But look at the duty cycle and kw. If it's got a good name brand engine and warranty is decent I wouldn't be afraid of the Hobart. I mean its not like your welding every day. If it has a foreign motor that would turn me away. I prefer Kohler or onan or even kawasaki. Not that they arent foreign. I've got an older Hobart stick welder and it's a bad mo fo. 

1 minute ago, dale560 said:

Just looked the Hobart is 2999 the Lincoln is 3499 which is better?

I'd pay the difference strictly for resale if nothing else. Much over 500 difference I'd be looking hard at that hobart 

Here are pics Hobart 2999 at tsc Lincoln 3400 some at farm supply both Kohler engines bottom pic is tsc flyer

F401B0E8-E6F7-4C4A-9D17-9E144E0DC951.png

8D4ED156-432E-41C6-B563-838254D652F1.png

E10249B7-E4F6-4C13-9E1C-326B0F1C309D.png

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

I called the local welding supply store. They are a distributor of most major brands. He told me that they can sell the Hobart for the same money as the farm store but if I wanted it I should go to the farm store. He said there is a reason he doesn’t push them.