Sign in to follow this  
Lazy WP

Cool truck

I am not sure of the year. I think it’s a 57. Has an old 71 series Detroit. I think it’s a 235. Anyway it has a cool tag/cheater axle. Air suspension. It still had the old bingo card/tags and only has 42,000 miles. 

2CDD6186-0DE0-4D5D-B698-6D66A77262E4.jpeg

A2DCB81D-766F-4527-B6EF-3706B0FD3712.jpeg

55830792-D782-43A6-8240-F26DA25F3F5B.jpeg

• Like 19

Thats cool. I got a feeling my long legs wouldnt fit too well though. 

That is a SWEET Jimmy!!

I would pull in to the elevators with a grin that would not fit inside that cab!!

Granted the ‘75 GMC tandem (single screw with a pusher axle) that I drove on the harvest run was a lot newer and probably more comfortable, but the 427 liked to be cooled down after a good run so that it did not “diesel”.   A 238 (6-71) such as this would have been awesome in terms of operability, but a wee(?) bit noisier!!!

Very nice, what are bingo card tags? Is that a factory sleeper?

Lazy WP

Thanks for posting those pictures,  I have always thought the old "Stub Nose" Chevy, Ford, GMC, and IH trucks were always so good looking.   With a 6-71 Detroit or Cummins NH-220 or NH-250 half of the engine was in the cab between the seats.   It goes without saying,  it was a  mechanics nightmare, to work on.   This isn't my first rodeo,  I have ridden this horse before.

GT&T

-

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Bingo cards were the nickname that we gave the fuel tax plates.  In addition to the license plate from your home state you would have another license plate (blank) that you would place small stickers on for each state that you paid fuel/highway taxes in.   With a good number of stickers it could begin to resemble a bingo card.   Hence the name.

IFTA and IRP did away with the bingo cards.

International Fuel Tax Agreement

International Registration Plan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

It looked like it was a factory sleeper. Not much more than a cubby hole but at least you could lay down instead of being over the steering wheel. 
I wish I would have gotten up inside of it. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GT&T said:

Lazy WP

Thanks for posting those pictures,  I have always thought the old "Stub Nose" Chevy, Ford, GMC, and IH trucks were always so good looking.   With a 6-71 Detroit or Cummins NH-220 or NH-250 half of the engine was in the cab between the seats.   It goes without saying,  it was a  mechanics nightmare, to work on.   This isn't my first rodeo,  I have ridden this horse before.

GT&T

-

We had a couple of the Detroit diesel pumps back in the 80s our first venture into the diesel fire truck world, everyone had to get air certified and learn the differences between the old ford bread truck gassers and the diesel world, loud was the main difference for me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

That is a SWEET Jimmy!!

I would pull in to the elevators with a grin that would not fit inside that cab!!

Granted the ‘75 GMC tandem (single screw with a pusher axle) that I drove on the harvest run was a lot newer and probably more comfortable, but the 427 liked to be cooled down after a good run so that it did not “diesel”.   A 238 (6-71) such as this would have been awesome in terms of operability, but a wee(?) bit noisier!!!

I'm right there with you on pulling into the elevator and the grin not fitting in the cab. I would thoroughly enjoy driving that truck.

I was always good to cool my 427 down after a long hard run to. Always heard it was hard on the valves if you shut them down hot. No idea if that's true or not just what I remember hearing. As far as the dieseling goes, after some cool down time when it came time to shut it down, we always put it in gear and let out the clutch just enough to pull the engine down and turn the key. Hope that makes sense?

Very cool.

How would you like to put the miles you do today in a truck like that Nick😳😁

I have  '50 Int 220 twin screw with a 549 gasser and a 15 sp.

An old neighbor said he used to haul fats to Omaha with a truck exactly like it.

My hat is off to them old boys in the early days.

Tough, tough, tough.😀

• Like 1