question for truckers

we recently hired a guy to custom pick a rocky field, haybuster and a 7150, his son was driving it, he said he parked his semi, rates are low now and not much work, I thought trucking was paying great, guy told me last fall you about charge what you want a shortage, is it because of the virus now?

I been hearing of low rates and guys have been letting loads sit on the docks because of it. I personally haven’t seen it because I have a steady deal hauling grain local and wheat harvest will take off in a couple weeks so they can’t afford us sitting right now

Right now we are surviving on a really good contract, and putting up with some mediocre back hauls. It has really only been the last couple weeks that it hit. Before that we were like gods out here, everybody wanted to show us respect. But when people are told to stay home, eventually it ripples all the way through the economy, right down to the essential businesses. Places like John Deere have had to lay off because of an outbreak, which causes feeder businesses to lay off, etc., thus grinding the entire supply chain to a halt. And that supply chain is what trucks do! I have heard of full loads being offered for 60 cents per mile. With fuel being 40-50 cents, that doesn’t leave enough to even pay maintenance, much less the driver. 

• Sad 5

Just talked to one of the independent guys we use for flatbed loads. He runs an old freightliner and was saying that he doesn’t know how these guys can do it with newer trucks. If he doesn’t have a load both ways, he doesn’t go. With the sound of the truck numbers in DC it probably isn’t good😱 

I was eyeing a truck for sale, thought I may as well drive for myself... but, I get to have my weekends off, my paycheck is mine on Friday, and I get to see my family nightly.... I think I just talked myself out of that idea🥳 

5 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Just talked to one of the independent guys we use for flatbed loads. He runs an old freightliner and was saying that he doesn’t know how these guys can do it with newer trucks. If he doesn’t have a load both ways, he doesn’t go. With the sound of the truck numbers in DC it probably isn’t good😱 

I was eyeing a truck for sale, thought I may as well drive for myself... but, I get to have my weekends off, my paycheck is mine on Friday, and I get to see my family nightly.... I think I just talked myself out of that idea🥳 

Hauling over the road includes long days alone in the truck, and lots of time away from the wife and kids. But there are also downsides!!! Lol

• Haha 4

We have been doing pretty well recently, but that is somewhat seasonal, with the seed potatoes that went out to Idaho. My brother does the dispatching and normally this time of year, the trucks are on autopilot. This year, he is stuck in the office as he calls it "dialing for deals". Normally this time of year, he is playing with his cows. The last 3 weeks I have turned over $8000/week to the truck. That is putting well over 3000 miles a week.

This week I am done tonight for the week, but I am taking off 10 days. Time to recoup. Need some wife, dog, horse and tractor time!!!!!!!

As for rates, the boards aren't too good. Loads that used to be $35/ton are down to under $30/ton. I know fuel prices are down, but it still takes so much to pay expenses.

If you own your own truck theres no such thing as making money. After fuel, breakdowns, tires, insurance, taxes, etc, theres a little left at the end of the day for you to save up for your overhaul. Just my experience. sorry I know that wasnt really the answer to your question. But if rates are way down not sure how an owner operator is getting by. 

• Like 5

We have 5 trucks on the road all the time. No change here but we haul for two elevators and a bunch of farmer customers (same stuff every year). I also started a custom grain vac service last year and that’s going pretty well. We are never looking for work it finds us

• Like 1