vtfireman85

WiFi camera recommendation

Looking for a WiFi camera to  observe activity around the duck coop and immediate enclosure. I have a good WiFi network and could add an extender if need be. Hopefully a camera would be battery or solar charged. I obviously would like it if it were inexpensive but I am worried a cheap one will be troublesome and ineffective. Any suggestions? I’d rather spend a little more and have one that works than one that is makeshift and requires a lot of extra stuff to make it functional. 

15 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

You couldn't use a trail cam you already have?

What I’m hoping for is motion alerts in the middle of the night. I’d rather know what’s happening when it’s happening rather than pictures of the massacre in the morning. I’m going to set up my trail cam but it only takes pictures. 

I have a couple of EZVIZ outdoor cameras they have good night vision clarity they are wireless for data but not solar powered.

I found this comparison after I had the EZVIZs

The Imou is better if you need longer WiFi range because it uses a Gateway  

I would recommend blink . They are about top of line when It comes to wifi cameras . 

Brother in law has a wireless system for checking cows during calving. Smonet 1080P Security camera on amazon. He's about 80 yards from the barn, image quality is pretty decent. I wanna say he paid around $300 CAD for it but it could have been a touch higher

46 minutes ago, MBrown said:

I would recommend blink . They are about top of line when It comes to wifi cameras . 

I have a Blink Also its OK 

The cameras I suggested have better night image quality and distance and EZVIZ has a web portal that can be accessed from any device.

They are $50 on Amazon    

Here is a view from one right now

At night the IR will "light up" everything all the way to the lake 

And they also take an SD card for recording 

image.png.c7a73a30a3da624b7128be315a6008aa.png

3 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Here is a view from one right now

At night the IR will "light up" everything all the way to the lake 

And they also take an SD card for recording 

image.png.c7a73a30a3da624b7128be315a6008aa.png

how is the clarity at that distance on IR?

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

how is the clarity at that distance on IR?

Pretty good I will take a shot tonight and post it for you

• Thanks 1

must be satelite trail cams, available found several with antenna while cleaning fence,suspect they were from guys we told to get the coyote/s

nearest house to "borrow" wfi, is nearly 1 mile and certainly not line of site 

We run a Samsung model off the AC line.  It is a WYFI/TCP/IP system that sends recording to the cloud so it is available as a website address to anyone that has the address and passwd.  Anytime I have an internet connection the video is available.

It is expensive (over $200 for a single camera) and we are stuck on the Samsung system for support but  it is convenient. 

2 hours ago, mmi said:

must be satelite trail cams, available found several with antenna while cleaning fence,suspect they were from guys we told to get the coyote/s

nearest house to "borrow" wfi, is nearly 1 mile and certainly not line of site 

They are likely transmitting to their cell phone. 

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

What I’m hoping for is motion alerts in the middle of the night. I’d rather know what’s happening when it’s happening rather than pictures of the massacre in the morning. I’m going to set up my trail cam but it only takes pictures. 

A guy at work has a trail cam that sends him alerts to movements (I’m sure you can dial in sensitivity) I’ll ask him what brand he’s got.

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

What I’m hoping for is motion alerts in the middle of the night.

The sensitivity of motion detection and configuring alerts are usually set through a browser interface.  The quality of the firmware behind the interface can vary.  Usually,  reviews and comments on the shopping site will reveal any glitches or difficulties others have experienced.

Are you dead set on using wireless?  I considered a wireless IP camera, but ended-up running a sort distance of Cat 6 to an outbuilding, then added a Power over Ethernet (POE) injector to power the camera.  The injector and the cable costs were small, and enabled me to choose from more camera models.  

Good luck with the project.  I am sure it will be rewarding.  

I just bought a trail camera and one comment regarding WiFi cameras is at night very few that will show a licence plate almost all are just white out. I wanted a WiFi because of my primary location was at the house near range of my modems. I did not get WiFi in the end, security was secondary in my shopping. 

I've got an Arlo camera setup for security around my house. 1080p and alerts my phone. Has IR. To me If you want a good picture you still need some sort of background light. Maybe you could hire an electrician 🤭

I'm not saying Arlo is better than anyone but im happy. Thinking amazon around $500. It came with several battery cameras. They last about 2 months in summer and 1 month in winter. Charge with a phone charger cord. You can adjust them to fit your needs. They do have a slight hesitation of a couple seconds from when they see motion to start recording and they record until motion goes away. Usually 15-30 seconds. The other cameras you could use around your place somewhere. Mine is probably 100' from my house and works ok. My guess is that its getting toward its limit but I havent tried. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bob_carr said:

The sensitivity of motion detection and configuring alerts are usually set through a browser interface.  The quality of the firmware behind the interface can vary.  Usually,  reviews and comments on the shopping site will reveal any glitches or difficulties others have experienced.

Are you dead set on using wireless?  I considered a wireless IP camera, but ended-up running a sort distance of Cat 6 to an outbuilding, then added a Power over Ethernet (POE) injector to power the camera.  The injector and the cable costs were small, and enabled me to choose from more camera models.  

Good luck with the project.  I am sure it will be rewarding.  

How does that work? They are getting battery charging power via Ethernet? 

check out wyze cameras, they even make one that is remote controllable for movement u can stream data to cloud or local sd card - free uploads to cloud for couple weeks then it erases 

highly recommend them they are very affordable

• Thanks 1

I’ve had Arlo for 5 years. My shop is 225’ from my home and the cameras at my shop have no issues connecting to my wifi. All my cameras have speakers and microphone so I can interact with visitors from anywhere.  I also use Arlo doorbell and it rings my cell and trips a camera. I have 12 cameras. Charge last 4-6 months depending upon use. Night time clarity is very good. 

8D643C43-E6BF-45FC-A8D9-412F44EF0BC8.jpeg

C8DF5D3E-11CB-48B2-A449-E8A47C502FDF.jpeg

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

How does that work? They are getting battery charging power via Ethernet? 

The POE injector supplies DC power (wattage varies by unit), so usually there is no battery in the camera.  The same Ethernet cable which carries data also carries the current.   It looks about the same as  a small network switch, and often has additional non-POE data ports for other wired devices.  Cost runs from $15 and up.  Wattage output should be matched to camera requirements.

• Thanks 1

If you want a few extras around in addition to good ones, and happen to have old Android phone, or you can get them dirt cheap, they can be turned into security cameras.  You can get waterproof cases if the phone isn't.  And charge on a timer.  Some have options like motion detection I believe.  Not anywhere near the functionality of a dedicated unit, no night vision, etc. 

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-home-security-apps-android-842997/

• Thanks 1