Types of TA failures from sitting in the seat

I have a 706 and an 806 both have bad torque amplifiers now. 

Problem #1, Hard use/abuse:  The 806 is the most recent and untimely death.  This has always had a strong TA and never given any issues.  It was replaced by the original owner in 94-95 at the dealer and has never really had any hours put on it after that; when I put seals in pto drive shaft his initials and date was written in paint marker. It sat for 10 years before I bought it and it only has 4500 hours on the meter now and he told me when I bought it that he had the “heavy TA” put in not that long ago.

So…..my wife and son were helping me fit ground this past week with the field cultivator.  They know that when they use the TA to make swift full strokes with the lever so that there isn’t any slippage.  Well, I’m not exactly sure what happened while they were at the helm, but the next day when I got on it to finish up the field…….  I pulled back on the TA at the headlands and it chattered/shuddered, but grabbed on the low side and kept going.  However, on the next hill I pulled back the lever and we came to a stop.  Now, I’m no stranger to weak TA’s and know that sometimes if you push in on the clutch and give it a second or two stuff will stop spinning and grab; but not this time.  Now maybe it was purely coincidental and the 25 year old TA was close to death when we started that day OR it got abused somehow; but it would be pure speculation at this point, because no one is fessing up to any foul play.  With no load on the tractor it will move under its own power on the low side, but touching the brakes will bring it to a stop.

Problem #2, the 3 count slugger:  The 706 is one of our primary haying tractors because the 301 diesel uses hardly any fuel and is pretty nimble. I don’t know the history of this tractor at all.  I rescued it from a fence row 706 fence row project and replaced the tired 263 gas with a 301 diesel from a combine.  Anyway, this TA works with a 3 count when engaging hydraulically on the high side.  But below 1500 RPM regardless of what you are doing,  whether cruising around the field moving bales or plowing at full throttle, if you lug it to 1500 rpm, it will catch.  Every. Single. Time.  If you are slowing down, or going down a hill, and pull back on the TA lever, you can give it a 3 count and the holding clutch will engage and hold.  When baling in direct TA and the bale is ready, I push on the clutch to tie the bale and pull the TA lever to the low side.  As the bale it tying the tractor will lurch slightly, letting me know the low side is locked and ready to go.   If you stupidly pull the lever back above 1500 rpm, you’re coming to a full stop – every time.  When moving the lever to the direct side and trying to start moving again, the engine will labor momentarily, then a loud “pop” comes from the transmission and away you go; it only does it when you have stupidly pulled the ta lever above 1500 back thinking it will catch and come to a stop.   Now, I know you’re thinking, “this thing is about to grind itself into pieces” and maybe you're right, but it has been doing this for the past 5 years and is consistent in what it does.  So much so that I have instructed people how to run it this way.  And I thought for SURE it would have grenaded itself by this point, but it just keeps on going.  I have yet to have a single TA apart so I can’t tell you what is going on during these times, but it probably isn’t by design.

I realize I am going to have to bite the bullet and fork over $1000 each for working TA’s.  The 706 works, kinda; I mean it’s usable to a certain extent.  But the 806 is a direct drive only tractor now, so this one probably needs it first.

I always thought that TA's just died all at once like the 806 did, not cling to life and giving hope of healing itself like the 706 does.  I was reflecting on the amount of money and time I have to spend now to fix the 806 and pondered if it would have just been quicker to have fit the field myself when I decided to write this.......... but I guess I'll never know.

Sounds like your due for a couple TA's. I've seen ta's act both ways you describe. One day they work fine and the next the sprag clutch is gone, or they can carry on for a long time like the 706. I've had good luck with hy  capacity heavy duty ta's for a long time. Good luck😃

• Thanks 1

The 806 is a sprag failure. That was the chattering. The holdback clutches won't take a heavy pull.

The 706 probably has hydraulic flow issues, something or some things sticking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our 806 had a third mode of failure.  There was a ton of endplay in the TA input shaft and it constantly filled the clutch housing with HyTran.  Crazy part was that the TA itself always worked fine, I just couldn't keep the clutch dry.  When I replaced it 4 years ago, I was amazed when it was still the early TA with the greater reduction ratio, steel sealing rings, and brass slippers in the sprag.  That thing had more than likely been in there since '64...

T/A's don't fail from sitting in the seat.

The only thing an operator could do to shorten the life of a T/A is move the lever slow.  But it would take several hours or years of that to ruin one.  One afternoon wouldn't have done it... if it did happen, but I am doubting they didn't operate it as instructed. 

T/A's don't have a set failure, or failure rate.  Some go all at once, some hang on for a long time.  Just depends what fails.  There is no correlation between how often they get used and failure.  You can never use it, and eventually it will go out.  Sure if you use it a lot, it will fail quicker.  Just like gear shift lever linkages and detents wear out faster on loader tractors.  Things that move will wear.  

Not sure if you are asking for advice or just telling a story.  You need to replace two torque's.  Do it as you can afford to do it. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I think you use your TA lever a Lot.  I’m not sure I have pulled or pushed a handle back 5x this spring. Crappy, short spring that it’s been, but still.

If your leaving it in direct, everytime you step on the clutch its dropping to TA. That adds to the usage of them.

I have one now in my 1456 that won't hold of you pull it back under a load, but, pull it back before you start, and it'll hold.  Needless to say, it's tired, and is the next one in my sights to get fixed

sounds like your 806 might have one of those explode any minute diode ta's from ih that were really bad. Your 706 sounds like the one we just replaced, you could hear the sprag clutch rolling over itself trying to grab, pretty common for a fifty year old ta.

1 hour ago, randy hall said:

sounds like your 806 might have one of those explode any minute diode ta's from ih that were really bad. Your 706 sounds like the one we just replaced, you could hear the sprag clutch rolling over itself trying to grab, pretty common for a fifty year old ta.

Will this cause a tick in the high side of the ta but not on the low side?

You can hear it as you come to a stop with the clutch pedal pushed in.