ive experienced this harassment a few times. dad had moms brother out to cultivate corn with dads 1586, he got done one day and told dad that would be a nice tractor if he didnt know better, he was used to running john deere at moms other brothers farm. dad never asked him to come help again.

went out for supper with a few guys one of which was a john deere salesman, he was brainwashed from childhood that deere was the best, said he just got back from a sales meeting on the new skidsteers they were introducing. at the meeting they had all different brands of skidsteers that each salesman could drive on an obstacle course picking things up and driving over mounds of dirt etc, talked about how deere had exceeded in each category blah blah blah. after he got done telling us all about it one of the guys eating said he never heard him mention a Case skidsteer, he said they didnt have one there to run, the one guy said the Case skidsteer would have beat the deeres in all categories, salesman didnt say much after that.

helping a guy combine wheat one summer he ran a 9610 deere going 3.5 to 4mph running 30ft head, weather was supposed to turn crappy so he borrowed the neighbors 2388 with 30ft head. i got to run the 2388 but couldnt get going any faster then about 3mph. he called me up and says whats wrong with that red piece of #$%^, i said i cant push it any harder or ill plug it up. got done combining baled the straw up and then got a shot of rain. when i went out to stack the bales up you could tell where the red combine went vs where the green one had been. i called him up and told why the red one was going slower, i said the red one was putting the wheat in the grain tank the green one was blowing it out the back end.

deere does make ok equipment, i prefer my red stuff. if someone starts lipping off about how deere is so much better im going to tell them that deere is still in business because they never invented anything so they didnt have to spend any money on research and developement, rotary combines and quadtracs are two great examples. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to know why some people have to continually give me grief about IH. Yes I am a die hard IH fan. Everything we farm with is IH with a few CASEIH pieces as well. We love our IH stuff and ar

I know they makes these spoofs about all makes and brands but this what I thought of reading this post. I’ve got grief about it also but figure that’s just people that haven’t learned yet... 😊

First thing.....how many die-hard IH guys on here even go to a Deere website? And if you do, how many go there to make trouble? I'm sure there are a few, but I'm guessing many are like me....they woul

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Up until the Magnums ill always say that IH was at the top of their game with engines, Deere with drivetrain.  How one could ever compare a 404 or a 466 with an IH 361, 407, or 3/400 series is beyond me.  And as much as it sucks, the IH drivetrain was outdated after the 1960's. Magnums were a game changer and showed what IH really was capable of and really tipped the scales their way.     

Im still a red guy due to simplicity though on older stuff.  Deere really overcomplicated a lot of their hydraulic system designs to the point it should be considered a sign of mental illness.  

Unfortunately with newer stuff ill side with Deere, one cant be happy with Fiat's doing to CNH, pretty much killing the legacy off and converting to a pretty much european company......

Deere did have better drive train but I’d love to see them hold up to a red 466 I think it would grind it to pieces 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Little Red said:

ive experienced this harassment a few times. dad had moms brother out to cultivate corn with dads 1586, he got done one day and told dad that would be a nice tractor if he didnt know better, he was used to running john deere at moms other brothers farm. dad never asked him to come help again.

Pretty sensitive.  When the JD 9000 series came out we ordered one and the dealer delivered it right before spring seeding Neighbor came over one day to get some canola seed and course they ran red Steigers.  He saw the tractor sitting there so he started examining it up close, getting in the cab and everything.  Afterwards he finally said,  “looks like they might actually have something” in a smart ass way.  I didn’t ask him to stop being my neighbor.  What’s funny now is they own a JD 4x4 along with a Steiger quad.  

40 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

Deere did have better drive train but I’d love to see them hold up to a red 466 I think it would grind it to pieces 

A lot of red stuff got slaughtered as well when pumps got messed with too unfortunately 

Been using the 3588 to pull the cultimulcher the past week, so I suppose I'll hear a few comments on that eventually. Kinda expecting it in a way because around this area 2+2s are pretty scarce anymore, and if I myself saw one being used i would be like I'll be dam, there's a 2+2 still being used. I've mellowed alot with age and I don't care what people run anymore. Use what works for you. Until the people who have smart azz comments start paying your bills, who cares about who's using what.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

Been using the 3588 to pull the cultimulcher the past week, so I suppose I'll hear a few comments on that eventually. Kinda expecting it in a way because around this area 2+2s are pretty scarce anymore, and if I myself saw one being used i would be like I'll be dam, there's a 2+2 still being used. I've mellowed alot with age and I don't care what people run anymore. Use what works for you. Until the people who have smart azz comments start paying your bills, who cares about who's using what.

Nobody told me I wasn't supposed to use my 3588. Its on my 24 ft disc & crumbler right now.

If you're calling it harassment you are clearly letting it bother you, people sense that, and most people are children deep down. They're going to rub it in precisely because it bothers you. Really an elementary school playground mentality all the way around.

I'm not even commenting on this story content lol because I still own or have owned both makes 

First thing.....how many die-hard IH guys on here even go to a Deere website? And if you do, how many go there to make trouble? I'm sure there are a few, but I'm guessing many are like me....they wouldn't even know which website to go to if they wanted to raise the dander of a loyal Deere customer. Isn't worth their time. The Deere "elite" are going to let you insult their family, their dog, their friends to no end....but if you insult their Deere product, now that's personal. Its just the way it is.

We had a situation last fall at the dealership that showed exactly what Deere people can be so arrogant about. We are a Geringhoff corn head dealer. Anybody that knows Geringhoff corn heads know that you can get whatever color of snouts you want to match your combine (ie, red snouts for CaseIH or Massey combines, yellow ones for New Holland or Cat/Challenger combines, green ones for Deere combines). Our parts guys got a call from some guy 2+ hours away that wanted to know if we had a snout for a 12-row 30" Geringhoff corn head. Our parts guy said that we had several of them in stock. The guy showed up 2+ hours later. Our parts guy asked this guy what color of snout he wanted....we had both red(CaseIH) and yellow(New Holland) ones. The guy incredulously looked at our parts guy and said "What about a green one? That's what I want!!" Our parts guy told him we don't stock any green ones...and you didn't ask for a green one over the phone. The guy got instantly steamed and started complaining about a waste of 2+ hours driving time only to find out we didn't have the "right" part for his machine. Our parts guy told him he could get a can of JD green spray paint and paint it green...it would be green for a short while. The Deere guy(who had probably never even set foot in our dealership before this) stormed off and out the door...without a snout.  Only a Deere guy would drive 2+ hours to a CaseIH/New Holland dealership and then complain about not having the "right" part for his machine so it looked like it was a John Deere cornhead. 

Another example that happened to me personally almost 30 years ago with a die-hard Deere guy. We did Cummins warranty in our area, even on John Deere 8960& 8970s that used Cummins engines at the time. The nearest Cummins Great Plains dealership was in Sioux Falls, so that was 3 hours away at the time. They used to ask us to work on some of the John Deeres around here for minor stuff so they wouldn't have to send anybody up in our area for a 6-hour road trip. To my knowledge, none of the local John Deere dealers at the time were certified through Cummins for warranty repairs. Anyway, I drove to a guy's place about 50-60 miles away from our store to work on his Deere tractor with an 855 Cummins. I saw the mailbox for the guy's place was a John Deere tractor, so I was just a little nervous at what I was getting into(never met the guy before, never heard of his name). The guy come out of his house, wanting to know what I was doing there. I explained to him that I was there to work on the engine on his new Deere 4wd tractor. He asked who I was and where I was from. I explained all that to him, only to hear him say, "Why are YOU here to work on MY John Deere? You should be a John Deere mechanic!". I tried to explain to him that his new John Deere had a Cummins engine...which he couldn't/wouldn't believe. I then walked him up to his tractor, and proceeded to show him the big, blue "C" logo for Cummins engines. He was amazed. His salesman told him that this tractor was 100% John Deere through and through. I'm not sure if he was more upset about me being from a CaseIH dealership to work on his John Deere or the fact that the salesman was less than clear that the engine in his new John Deere tractor was NOT made by Deere; but he more or less not-so- kindly asked me to leave as he was going to discuss the matter further with his dealership. Never heard from the guy after that...I'm guessing Cummins had to send somebody out to do the work. Again...only a diehard Deere guy would make a big stink over something like that.

Here's something that red guys can have some fun with with their "knowledgeable" Deere friends. Ask Deere guys to show you a picture of Deere's 5-millionth tractor that they built. I had one guy a couple years ago that told me that Deere built "way more tractors than IH ever did". I showed him several pictures of the 5-millionth 1066 from IH, and then asked him to show me Deere's 5-millionth-built tractor. He proceeded to "google" Deere's 5-millionth tractor...only to come up with nothing. After awhile he concluded that he must not be using the right "key word" for his Google search....lol. I'm sure to this day he still believes there is a 5-millionth Deere tractor out there somewhere.....he just hasn't been able to come up with it yet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have had a situation early in my farming career where it was time to replace a 970 case tractor. It was under powered and no differential lock. Wanted a tractor with one so we could plow without having to ride the left or right brake. The local John Deere had a really nice 4230 John Deere with fully loaded cab. nearly as new  a bit more power than a 970 Case and differential lock.

It was a cold day and the salesman could for the life of him not get that tractor to start.  He had boosted it and  yes tried some either, still would not start.it was cold out mind you so told him needed an excellent starting tractor and if they pulled it into the shop and see if there was nay other issues.

So I said I would come back another day. On my way home going past an Case IH dealer they had a repainted white cab 1066. So white cab 1066 is an early model and if they are repainted what did it originally look like.

So I inquired about the tractor. The salesman said with real confidence that the 1066 would start as long as the batteries were up. and he said he was very confident that the tractor would have 150 hp and pull my 5 bottom 20 inch corn plow like a hot knife in butter.

So we got up to the tractor and behold it started and ran smooth right away. He looked at me and said I am going to warm it up and pull it to the shop and prove the horse power on the dyno.

As we got the tractor set up some mechanic s told me this tractor is a beast. So once warmed up they hooked up to dyno.

I watched the dyno and this tractor pulled the dyno to 210 hp and it could hold it there  at rated rpm speed. so as stated it has all kinds of power.

We redid the cab interior and this tractor looked like a poster tractor  with a straight chrome exhaust pipe.

I had a lot of John Deere's around me and the John Deere dealer was disappointed i traded to an International. 

A friend had a 4440 with 20.8 X38 tires and the 1066 with 18.4 X 38s would at any time out pace the 4440. Just brute power.

Never had a TA issue on 4,000 hrs that I owned the tractor. Everything worked. My brother in laws would come up and insist they drive the tractor just to here and experience the sound and power of the International engine.

We could hammer mill ground corn with a Bearcat grinder and keep up to 12  row combine. It did everything I wanted to do.

Now a John Deere 4230 or 4430 would have a better cab...yes.  but a tractor has to have some balls and durability and be able to start when it is cold.

• Like 2

I see people bashing other tractors from all different brands. I myself have mostly Oliver's but I have John Deere and ih too. I see people from all groups bashing other mfgs.  It's to bad people cant just get along. I guess it's not the way of life. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I know they makes these spoofs about all makes and brands but this what I thought of reading this post. I’ve got grief about it also but figure that’s just people that haven’t learned yet... 😊

"Keep it together, torque amplifiers are good" 😂😂 oh man that whole video had me laughing like crazy

We're pretty much all red here, and I got alot of "green" friends, so naturally we're always bugging each other about it, but I've never been run down about being red, and vice versa. They're all good when they're running is how I look at it. IH, Deere, Case, Massey, whatever. The colour of paint don't put the crop in the ground!

• Like 1

Why can't we just be honest? Not everything IH made was the best nor were some of the decisions made at the top wise. Had that been the case JD would have been bought out by Tenneco and IH would still be here. I like the looks of the 59 and newer IH tractors way better than Deere but by the mid 70's IH should have had a true powershift tranmission IMO.

And go back. Back in 1950 the H was a better built tractor than a Ford 8N. Today the 8N has it over the H only because of the 3 point that one can still readily find implements for both new and used. 

No company is perfect nor ever was. Just like no tractor is perfect. What suits me may not be for the next guy.

Does it matter that IH made over 5 million tractors when the IH AG division was sold off? Does it matter how many JD's were made? Which company is still here? That's not saying JD is better. They just weathered the storm.

I fully expect FIAT to drop IH from the name in the next 5 years or so, making it CaseNH. At that time I'm willing to bet they will drastically reduce parts support for IH/Farmall. What are you going to do then? Throw in the towel and quit farming? Heck I'll bet CaseIH/NH, AGCO and Deere are all looking at support for old tractors real hard right now that sales of the older tractors is up. That's going to mean only aftermarket parts for IH/Farmall, older Deere, Agco/AC/White, Case and Ford just to name a few. They want you to buy new equipment. Obsolescence because they withdraw support is a way to force you into something newer. 

I'm sticking around. I like IH. But I'm not going to join the IH cult. 

Rick

Run what you like, let others run what they do and try not to get too emotional about it, it’s only Iron, when it goes beyond lighthearted rivalry, seek therapy. 

9 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Nobody told me I wasn't supposed to use my 3588. Its on my 24 ft disc & crumbler right now.

Lol! Yep, anyone says anything just say, O, nobody said I wasn't allowed to use it, real calmly and they'll probably just drop it from going any further with remarks. Certain people never grow up and always will act like that bully in school that has to put everyone down to make themselves feel good inside because they're insecure about themselves.

• Like 1

It's the same as when I grew up.

We had a heck of an argument on the school bus over IH vs Deere.

Nothing has changed. We still argue:

Republican vs Democrat

Chevy vs Ford

Bud vs Coors

Blonde vs Redhead

etc, etc..

Just human nature!

Same thing involving college games around here, baby blue vs royal blue. light blue gets all turned around if you say something about them but they think they can say whatever about other blue team and its ok. no Caseih dealers here so they're going green. still lots of older ih going though.

A die hard green underwear friend of mine was giving me a bad time about my all red tractor fleet one time.  I told him I didn’t think I had enough fuel storage on my farm to own a green tractor.  Friendly ribbing!

• Haha 1

I've had about every color there is. I stick with Red for the simple fact it's what I like. I had a B John Deere for a while, and it was alright for what it was. Still own a JD #52 plow, KBY disk, and RWA disk. My field cultivator is a Ford and my planter is an Oliver. I guess I'm not biased when it comes to machinery. Do I think that Red beats Green? Yea, most generally. Do I shove that opinion down others throats? Absolutely not. If I had my "druthers" I'd have an Oliver plow, an IH disk, a JD field cultivator, and an IH planter. Not because of color, but because of the job they do. Oliver plows just pull better to me; IH disks do a nicer job of leveling ground; I like how JD's field cultivators pull; and IH plate planters seem to be more accurate than anyone else's in my opinion. But, I run what I got cause it's paid for. No need to be snobbish to someone because they like a different color than you.

I have to agree that JD guys are worse than any other, though. Just go to any tractor show or tractor forum and you'll see it plainly. The Oliver guys tend to keep their opinions to themselves unless asked. They're also the guys that can give you part numbers from memory, and most will make their own parts rather than buy them. Ford people are similarly quiet and kind, except the handful of guys that think an 8N can turn the earth; don't tell 'em it can't, either. Allis guys seem to be a breed of their own, but they're decent enough. Most are very knowledgeable, albeit a bit eccentric (prime example: ROTO-BALER). Case owners... well, they're a different group all together. Those are the guys that still drive an immaculate '85 Dodge pickup every day, and it'll still have the "new car" smell; no sense spending money where you don't need to.  Your average IH guy, though, is a little different. He'll grab you by the arm, hand you a cold beer, walk you through his collection and shoot the $hit for a while, then show you why IH is still king🤣

Mac

• Like 1

Good thread. Besides the great machinery, seems to me the people who make/made them count over all else. Companies are people. Went to the CaseIH plant in Wisconsin when the RPRU was there a few years ago. Great folks, got to know a lot of them.

Please don’t walk away
I enjoy the beatings ! 
I get mostly from women at shows , “they say , We a John Deere “ 

I say , “oh really “  What’s next ? I have a Johnny Deere Dicks harrow ? The tongue was broken off of it and it welded back on 🤣😅They defuse ! Ever see a a John Deere with equipment hung on it No 
Got another guy that sells book at local shows ,

I asked him have any Farmall C books ?  He’s goes that the weakest tractor I ever had on, on on !No Guts most gut les tractor ever made  I walk away after the beating . 
Next year I come up to him ( he trying to impress his girl friend ,she finally hedge him to see if I could be helped, and I ask about a Fordson manual . He wanted  15 , I say Seven , Oh oh well that’s a good manual and I can’t do that , enjoy the beating put it down and walk away 😂🤣😅😂

En joy the beatings 

Combines are red

Planters are blue

The color of the tractor?

Is up to you.

• Like 2

Only ever encountered 1 guy serious about brand harassment and that was an IH guy coming down on deere. Before I tell the story my farm is multi-color, 5 makes.  Anyhow I have a handicap son and we wanted to go to RPRU when he was about 10. This was probly a bad choice on my part but prior to going I got approval a week or so ahead to take my JD Gator to the show which I have adaptive modifications made in the bed to support my son. The RPRU people were made aware that I had a JD and were very accommodating to allow it at the show. Thank You RPRU people for understanding !  We had a great day, much fun. And I even had fun with this 1 guy. Most of the day I drove, wife in passenger seat, and son in back. We were courteous, slow, and made every effort not to cause inconvenience for anyone else. There was a brief time in the afternoon when I went to the restroom and told my wife to just continue on down the path, I will catch up. As I was following up about 50 ft behind and looking at displays a fellow started in talking to his buddies right next to me about the JD being there bla, bla, bla, bla, whats wrong with that woman.   I said "she needs to be told they are not welcome, you want to tell her or should I ? "  He said go ahead so I briskly walked through the crowd glancing back a couple times to see his satisfied smile. Upon arriving at my wife I was far enough away he could not hear, so I gestured like I was dropping the hammer as I spoke to my wife, looking back at him to see his approving face. My wife & son were facing away from him as he was behind our gator. I looked back at him 1 more time after my wife moved over to the passenger seat and I sit in the driver seat to catch the smile leave his face as he turned to walk the other way. Didn't see him the rest of the day, wife got a chuckle out of it as did I. I probly shouldn't have done that to the fellow. Love my IH tractors and our community is full of good natured ribbing !

17 hours ago, SDman said:

I'm sure there are a few,

but ALL Deere guys are pompous jerks, right?

Bet if you asked any Deere guy they'd say the same thing in reverse, "Sure there are a few Deere guys are pompous jerks, but those IH guys... They're ALL intolerable!"