Matt Kirsch

Chisel plowing in a snow storm

New one on me. I didn't drive in weather this bad all last winter and here I am chisel plowing in a snowstorm yesterday. This wasn't even the worst of it.

There's an old wives' tale about snow having some fertilizer value if plowed under. Probably from the old days when we had steel mills and the snow was loaded with potash. If this 12 acres of corn does exceptionally well maybe there is something to it?

20200509_151322.jpg

• Like 5

Snow has nitrogen in it.

• Like 1

It's sort of surreal, kind of like a negative image of what it looks like running at night with your lights off

If we were plowing in the snow, grandpa always called it poor man's fertilizer. 

• Like 1

I used to chisel plow or moldboard plow in the snow when I lived in Michigan. 

BUT- that was in the Fall or Winter.  Lol... So I understand what you are saying here. Good grief. It’s the glo-bull warning don’t ya know.  

I strongly dislike snow in May, and any other time except Christmas day for that matter. Nice tractor though.:D

At least the heater was working 😀!

Wow crazy weather there good luck

11 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I didn't drive in weather this bad all last winter

No kidding.  
Was driving into it on way to grab Mothers Day gift on Saturday and boys were in awe of snow in May.

7A9E9187-633F-4952-8506-FD3F906F2EBD.jpeg

• Like 1

Too cold most of the day for anything I needed to do outside, stayed in the garage instead. Then at about 6pm the sun comes out, and I cut the lawn. There was snow on it for most of the last 36hr.  That was a first for me. 

Wow you guys, and here I am slapping on after shave with the AC on to kool off.

Been there, done that. I've been caught on the field in a may snow storm before, and I'm sure it will happen many more times. I remember on my 13th birthday we got about 8 or 10 inches of snow that day and dad was deep tilling till finally was just losing too much traction. We only got about 3 or 4 inches of the white stuff yesterday, so not near as bad as other times. I've heard some guys say that tilling thistles in the snow will kill them too

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

There's an old wives' tale about snow having some fertilizer value if plowed under.

Not an old wives tale.

Like said above, nitrogen

Always like those late April (not crazy bout May) snow storms. Gives the grass a jump start😀

• Like 1

67 or 8 we had to quit planting beans on Memorial Day ( 5/ 31) because we couldn't see the marker track because of snow.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Rick G. said:

I used to chisel plow or moldboard plow in the snow when I lived in Michigan. 

BUT- that was in the Fall or Winter.  Lol... So I understand what you are saying here. Good grief. It’s the glo-bull warning don’t ya know.  

Anybody notice that we are not going to die from glo-bull warming since they have Covid to worry about.

And I am getting real tired of listening to all this doom and gloom?

Sometimes it is fun to play in something different. If you can keep your traction, keep going.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:59 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

New one on me. I didn't drive in weather this bad all last winter and here I am chisel plowing in a snowstorm yesterday. This wasn't even the worst of it.

There's an old wives' tale about snow having some fertilizer value if plowed under. Probably from the old days when we had steel mills and the snow was loaded with potash. If this 12 acres of corn does exceptionally well maybe there is something to it?

20200509_151322.jpg

I bet the heat and radio in the enclosed cab made that infinitely better than plowing in snow on an M or H back in the day.

Nice picture!

5 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Anybody notice that we are not going to die from glo-bull warming since they have Covid to worry about.

And I am getting real tired of listening to all this doom and gloom?

Sometimes it is fun to play in something different. If you can keep your traction, keep going.

Conveniently, COVID has solved global warming.  Oil consumption is down 30%.  Which is what all the enviro-mentalists wanted.

Im not a conspiracy theorist.  There is no correlation between the two, just a coincidence.

Heat? Radio? Nah, still working on that.

It was warm enough in the cab for me, except when a gust of wind would come in the back window, but near as I could tell the heat wasn't doing much of anything.

Just now, Matt Kirsch said:

Heat? Radio? Nah, still working on that.

It was warm enough in the cab for me, except when a gust of wind would come in the back window, but near as I could tell the heat wasn't doing much of anything.

Hmmm.  Well maybe next time.... you have the priorities correct, it was pulling the chisel plow.

11 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

you have the priorities correct

It's lucky to even have auxiliary power in the cab at this point. The cab solenoid quit on it a year ago, and I didn't get a chance to replace it until January.

Going to put the new tires and a Westendorf loader on it this summer, hopefully. Since most of the events I go to during the summer will likely be canceled. Maybe I'll even get a chance to put some paint on my Super M.