The right rear tire might need replacing, just a thought.

• Haha 1

Jackshaft from pto??-- could gear it just right and might work, BUT no way an H gonna have power enough to pull that front axle!  You could also run a big hyd. pump and motor to drive it, IF you have enough engine horsepower to do the job. ---- I have junked a couple of these attempts that someone tried and failed with.  If it's not factory equipped to start with  --- its gonna be hard to get the gearing right so it matches the rear ratio. -- It can be done--just costly to do.

Neighbors took an old Oliver, cut the front frame off of a caprice car and welded the whole engine, trans, and frame under the Oliver. Had the Oliver trans, plus the car trans, plus engine from car. Would do nearly fifty, with front independent suspension. We all called it the chev-oli.

So what I'm trying to get at is it looks like it isn't actually hooked up? Unless I'm really missing something obvious. It looks to me like the frame was used for the loader tractor and the front axle was used to carry the weight. Probably was a narrow front and this is all they had. 

• Like 1

I see a 4x4 axle but can’t see any driveline in these pics because they don’t show much. Is the axle dead and just there to carry weight or is it actually driven?  Not being critical. Necessity breeds innovation and if it actually functions and worked for the designer then more power to him. 

• Like 1

Back in the day, lot of truck axles put under loader tractors to stack hay with. Wasn't a powered front axle though, just to carry the weight. 

Looks like someone actually spent the time and money on this M

425770985_ihcM4wd.jpg.e959dd6649adb03c066221cfaa0084b8.jpg

18 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Back in the day, lot of truck axles put under loader tractors to stack hay with. Wasn't a powered front axle though, just to carry the weight. 

that looks badass

19 hours ago, sandhiller said:

That's a very early ELWOOD fwa axle, axle itself was from junked and excess Army surplus 6x6's at the Joliet Arsenal just a few miles from Elwood's shop. When all the surplus axles they had to start buying axles from Spicer.

The axle on the H up top I have to agree, looks like a Twin Traction Beam minus all the gears and shafts needed to really make it work.  Look at this M, the drive starts with the upside-down L shaped gearbox, think there's two duplex roller chains in the box to pull power from the top shaft of the transmission, over, then down.

Elwood never made an H sized axle. I kidded them about making an axle for gear drive Cub Cadets, but a guy up by Osh Kosh beat me to it. Used a little Dana axle out of a golf cart, hand built all the necessary gearboxes, shafts, etc to make it really work.  When your a machinist supervisor and have a Giddings & Lewis 2-1/2" horizontal boring mill and a 12-14 inch swing by 10 ft bed lathe and several other tools, you can make stuff like that.   Couple guys plus our old Cub Cadet forum moderator had a small birthday party for the guy 20 years ago. 

• Thanks 2