have a 6' finish mower that I am having trouble getting the drive belts properly adjusted.  the mower is a buhler brand and uses 2 drive belts driven by a pto gear box center pulley driving the 3 spindles. have not looked at all brands of finish mowers but think this drive setup is used by other brands.  when I bought the mower I was never able to keep the 2 belts adjusted ect.  I have bought a couple Kevlar belts thinking this might fix my belt adjusting problem.   the Kevlar belts are not working either ect.  the trouble seems to be the belt adjustment system does not allow for ANY  difference in drive belt lengths -- they must be perfect -- each belt the same length.  the Kevlar belts I have are not perfect equal in length -- one being a little shorter than the other. the adjustment system moves the drive gear box back to increase belt tension.   have removed the 4 gear box mounting bolts  to allow the gear box to move sideways as well as back to get proper belt tension -- this has not worked either.  am considering  how an to install an  idler pulley to increase tension on the looser belt.  what am I missing here.  the operating manual does not give any information on how to deal with less than perfect drive belts.  looking for advise from anyone out there who has successfully adjusted v-belt tension on 2 belt drive systems on finish mowers.

Ah I would go buy two brand new belts, of the same brand and size and just tighten that puppy until they’re both tight.  If they’re a matched set the tighter one will stretch enough to get the looser one tight. Lots of heavy duty applications using multiple v belts out there, just tighten her down till it’ll take the power

I have a seven foot Farm-King mower, and the only belt problems I have had have been self-induced.   :(

Could it be that the Kevlar belts are too good, and not allowing any stretch, to tighten the looser belt?

Just a thought.

Mike

"matched set"  v-belts is a good start on my trouble. just bought 2 Kevlar 83" belts.  they are not a matched set.  the belt tension adjustment system will not work unless the v-belts are a near perfect match in length.  will try a "matched set" and see if the tension system will work ect

have to keep trying

belts like all else have only gone worse,kevlar is just a put on, heat and over 5 years it goes bad,thats why cops buy new every 3-4

took 6 belts to get one to work on the cub/woods/ih,mixed parts

and the 1962 wagner (looks like 560) NEVER would cut over 5"

green most times took the dealer oem $75  40" or they would flop off

Have you tried switching the loose belt to the tight side? You may just get lucky. I have always thought that those setups with no way to independently adjust the belt were a joke. Everything has to be perfect, belt length, pulley wear, and spindle spacing. I would possibly consider a set of idlers. 

• Like 1

Matched sets can even have differences in lengths, if you have access to multiple on the store floor you can stretch them to compare to get 2 that are close to each other, this becomes more difficult on longer lengths

We would run powerbands on lots of equipment 2B, 3B etc that dealt with that, your sheaves must be in good condition for the belt to ride in it's original intended position, if there is too much wear in the V the band bottoms out before your belt properly contacts the side, these would only work if you had proper spacing between the belts as a double or more sheave provides as it's industry standard. Also I have never seen a powerband in an idler tensioner situation where pressure is applied to the outer side.