Pulled a 9 shank mounted with my 3394 this spring. 5 mph, went good. Only 2nd year putting it on, curious what others pull and how deep you go.

Would love to go bigger, save time but dont want to go to big. Plenty of hills here. 

I don't remember what we ran.  Was the fertilizer dealer's.  We used the 5288 and could have pulled bigger, but I took my time with the small one and ran it deeper to help seal.  On our hills I don't know if a bigger bar would have been a good idea anyhow.  I liked knifing in NH3 both pre-plant and side dress.  I thought it worked better than any other option, but the dealer here stopped carrying it, and that was the end of it.  We had some great yeilds going into no-tilled farms with mole knives on the bar pre-plant, then running down the ridges at an angle with a vertical tillage tool.  

I bought a used DMI 4300 13 shank a few years ago.  I figured 13 would be a load for most of my tractors.  Asked several people and decided to turn it into a 10 shank tool bar.  I spaced the shanks out to 36” in stead of 30” and it’s still 30’.

44DC1BC3-830D-48BE-8F2B-41FE8554D9AA.jpeg

31 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

I bought a used DMI 4300 13 shank a few years ago.  I figured 13 would be a load for most of my tractors.  Asked several people and decided to turn it into a 10 shank tool bar.  I spaced the shanks out to 36” in stead of 30” and it’s still 30’.

44DC1BC3-830D-48BE-8F2B-41FE8554D9AA.jpeg

I'm actually thinking of going the other way of you and building the 9 into an 11 or 13 but putting the shanks closer. My logic says I can put the same amount of NH3 out, but spread it out over more soil. Maybe leach less???? Lots of 9 and 10 cec dirt here. Dont need to be wasting N. I put NH3 out preplant only.

That's why I was wondering what others are pulling.

Gotcha.  CECs here range from 20 to mid 30’s.  Holds on to things too good!

150ish hp pulls 10 shanks ok in the fall, well in the spring.  200 will handle it fine always!

We pull 19 on 30” spacing as deep as it will go with the 380 or 340 usually 6-7 mph. Always pulled 17 since grandpa got 7140 when they came out new. Before that he had a 28 ft 496 with shanks on the back with 5488 mfd