vtfireman85

Craigslist idiots

14 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I’m not on Facebook and never will be but the wife has to use it for work so I have her put stuff on their for sale sight. 

I have had great success on Craig’s list but the face book sight is even better . 

Your missing out. I do not do anything more than go to marketplace. I dont post anything, dont even have an account. I log into my wifes account and look at marketplace. That's it. You could do the same. I've bought and sold alot on there. The only issue is it's so easy to send a message that just magnifies the low balers and people wasting your time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

on the way back from the road trip getting bees we stopped  to look at a 2 row planter [craigs list]

the guy was all over the place with price.

said the unit works ,,I think it would make a good lawn ornament. 

haggling  is part of the fun of craigs list [give and take]

Wednesday  this we closed the deal on a trade for a NH chopper with 2 heads [another craigs list deal]

for the MD engine +sold mic. M parts off the storage wall

Mike

now ya got me going,,the only bad deal was a scammer that wanted me to cash a 3000.00 dollar bank check for a pancake compressor

my banker ran the routing numbers and it was a bad check.[ no account]

Mike

I just sold a vehicle on Facebook market place. The guy never haggled and paid the price, in cash. WOW!!!!!!

But, the questions I had to answer to get to the actual buyer was terrible and stupid.

I had 13 pictures of the car, at all angles, inside and out and under the hood. A guy wanted more pictures. "Of What?", I replied?

I had on the listing that if still posted, it is still available. I must have got a dozen questions, "Is this still available?".

Those people must be graduates of Tards-R-Us?

Craigslist seems to be the older generation with Facebook being the ones still learning?

Haven't bought anything on either site. Have looked around Facebook marketplace a couple of times, but not regularly. Used to check out Craigslist daily, but I can see that site slowly dying. The number of serious authentic ads is way down. I have  really noticed a drop in new ads since we are in the stay at home status,I guess most sellers don't want people meeting up.

For tractor and equipment related ads, there is a local tractor jockey who floods the pages with his good plated. junk ! Takes forever to sort through to see serious ads.

Same thing with the powersports ads. Most of the page is two or three used powersports dealers who just flood the page with their ads.

I used to read the ads for sport and to relax, because you never know what you might find! Now they just aggravate me!

I still enjoy tractorhouse in the "reading room" , I used to buy an Auto Locator about once a month also, but that died off from the internet.

7 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I just sold a vehicle on Facebook market place. The guy never haggled and paid the price, in cash. WOW!!!!!!

But, the questions I had to answer to get to the actual buyer was terrible and stupid.

I had 13 pictures of the car, at all angles, inside and out and under the hood. A guy wanted more pictures. "Of What?", I replied?

I had on the listing that if still posted, it is still available. I must have got a dozen questions, "Is this still available?".

Those people must be graduates of Tards-R-Us?

Craigslist seems to be the older generation with Facebook being the ones still learning?

Im only on facebook to mainly access marketplace. Thing i notice off and on is ad will say when posted up to a week. After that they all say posted over a week ago. Ad could be over a year old and item long sold. We ran into that when son was looking for cars so i think maybe thats why a lot ask if its still there. Im guilty of that if ad is over a week old. Also  a lot of folks cant accuratly advertise an item to save themselves. Leave out important ifo, poor pics. Even ones with decent pics leave out important info. Ex air compressors, 3/4 dont tell you anything other than its a 2 cyl. Ok.....single stage, or dual stage since you dont have good pics and i cant tell. Cfm? Motor hp?  So some buyers may be trying for more info due to being burned, but not sure the right things to ask. Not all are pros at buying and selling. Agree tho some things seem like common sense. Or should be. 

Wife uses FB market and has good luck. I don't have a FB account and it's unlikely I'll ever get into social media.

• Like 1

I got a couple things on mp. Its just nuts low ball offers, questions.  I keep telling my wife just take them down.    Have a good but well used 100 hp. Tractor weak clutch,  was told it would take 2500$ to put a clutch in. I still use it.  But if you put in high gear out on the road and throw it wide open  it will slip some.  So it will need replaced soon 

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I’m not on Facebook and never will be but the wife has to use it for work so I have her put stuff on their for sale sight. 

I have had great success on Craig’s list but the face book sight is even better . 

I have had great luck with FB selling and buying.  I sell all my honey from the hives this way, so far

2 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

When I pay cash I ask for a bill of sale, I also go to the bank and make a withdrawl for the exact amount.  If the seller is unwilling to give a bill of sale I use my generic statement pad and create one with all pertinent info such as SN, date, sellers info, item description, etc. I then make note that seller preferred not to issue a bill of sale for unknown reasons so this is all the info on the transaction I as buyer have then I sing and file in my paperwork.

As far as a bill of sale I will always give one and always ask and want one.I know it's sounds far fetched but you pay in cash ,load it,hook up to it and head home who's to say the guy won't call the police and report it stolen or says you left without paying.Also trucking you are always supposed to have a bill of laden.You guys out in the middle of nowhere is not a issue.Here on the east coast farmers can get by with plenty but all it takes is a cop wanting to shine his own badge.

I've done some limited trucking for friends. I absolutely want something for a bill of lading for what I'm hauling. I hauled a load of RR ties for the local tourist RR - free gratis. The treasurer was supposed pay up front for them. We get them loaded and the guy says, where's the check? What check? They are supposed to be prepaid. No check, no ties. Sunday afternoon. I had to put them on my CC to guarantee payment. I was pissed. Not only that, they were loose no bundles. What a pain to load and chain.

So later in the week, the treasurer demanded I give him the "receipt" from the seller. I told him "No way , Jose". Your ties are still on my truck and if Commercial Enforcement pulls me over, the receipt is my bill of lading. Plus, if my CC is run, they are my ties. :)

Remembering the days of the Weekly Trader and other print ads makes CL or Marketplace look pretty golden.

Talk about no pictures or one poor thumb sized blurry pic you paid real money to post

I'd rather deal with posters as to deal with an auctioneer 

For those opposed to Facebook I get it.  But you don't have to use any other part of it.  An email account and some made up names, leave it blank, and you have an account.  Same as on here.

It's what you make of it.......

• Thanks 1

I've used the Facebook auction sites a couple times. They work well on smaller items but bigger stuff is the same old same old. I put a tractor on one. Complete description and pictures with listing of work done. Nice straight complete machine that had spun a bearing and I had no time to rebuild. Delivery within 150 miles available. Low starting bid. All I got were pm's of people wanting me to separate the loader or the old "$1000.00 cash" offer. After two days I took it down and sold it to the tractor savage yard. At least he'll take care of me when I come back to buy. Same way with sellers. Guy had a large three point Herd seeder going no bid. Pm him,"I'll make your minimum bid where are you and when for pickup". Still waiting for an answer. They are everywhere.

I find Farcebook hard to use, you log in and start down the page, find something you like, click on it, and then back up the browser to get back to the list it starts out at the top again.  With craigslist that isn't a issue.  And with craigslist I like searching other areas which is easy..................Is that even possible to do on Farcebook?  I think the farthest on the pull down menu is 100 miles?

Does anyone use eBay? I don’t but a friend has an account in the comic section and he sells my comics there, he puts in a price and then let’s time do the selling, does that work with what you guys buy and sell for or is it a different platform altogether?

I like the cl scammers i often enjoy throwing back at them. They get mad if you ask if they are in moms basement. Or when they are sending there agent, and you ask if they can pick up pizza and copenhagen on the way. 

• Like 1

The saga continues.....Guy 1 was all fired up last night. Supposed to be here at 11am today. Sends me a text this morning and says his wife has a cough and he isn’t coming. Called guy 2. He complained at me about how far away I live.  Called guy 3 and he is supposedly coming Monday, late afternoon.  Couple Guys coming in a bit to look at the other item but I’m not holding my breath that they won’t be driving a car and drinking beer instead of pulling a trailer packing cash....

Todd, I've found a bunch of people are impulse buyers. Those people all stars have to align and you be available at that moment and bam, its sold. Wait until the next morning they think about it too much.  On the flip side the last tractor I sold was an older local gentleman. He called me no less than 5 times and came to look 2 times and even then he was to let me know. On the last call I said I had some others interested that I had been holding off and I had given him all the time in the world to decide. I told him they were coming that weekend to look and he finally said will you bring it to me. being a whole 10 miles down the road I said you bet for my asking price I will. End of story 

Never did the facebook thing. Decided they have enough people without me.

Don't know if we even have CL here, never looked into it. 

I do some on Big Iron. I know it is mainly Nebraska and surrounding states with some listings across the country. No haggling or BS. Will get some calls and questions. You sell for what it is worth to the market at the time it sells. Or you pay what it is worth to you and at least someone else. 

I have always been happy with the price I received on BI and on the flip side thought I got some bargains. 

51 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Todd, I've found a bunch of people are impulse buyers. Those people all stars have to align and you be available at that moment and bam, its sold. Wait until the next morning they think about it too much.  On the flip side the last tractor I sold was an older local gentleman. He called me no less than 5 times and came to look 2 times and even then he was to let me know. On the last call I said I had some others interested that I had been holding off and I had given him all the time in the world to decide. I told him they were coming that weekend to look and he finally said will you bring it to me. being a whole 10 miles down the road I said you bet for my asking price I will. End of story 

Yup, item just left a little bit ago. Go figure. They showed up ready to deal. You just never know...  

I cannot recall where I found this picture, but I thought that it was a classic response to one of those guys that was offering a fraction  of the asking price:

C3B5178D-387A-4DEB-BAED-F9ECE310CF0B.png

• Haha 12

I myself am not a facebooker, as one of the above posters stated, they've got enough people. Craigslist I rarely visit, I just don't find much. My last visit was just a few days ago. Guy had some OLD RED TRACTORS for sale. I emailed him, that was the only contact information, politely asking for the serial number for the smta he had to compare it with mine. Here's his response, YEAH RIGHT, SHOVE IT====. Figured it was a scammer and moved on. Thought about a smart a$$ reply but didn't waste my time.

Putting stuff in your ad to "prevent stupid questions" or "stop scammers" just has the opposite effect. Then you get frustrated. Why? You brought it on yourself. You're dealing with children. Tell them not to do something, they're going to do it twice as much. Just to spite you.

The scammers and idiots don't read anyway, so just keep the ads short, sweet, and to the point. You don't OWE anyone a response. It's an old school thing to think you have to answer the phone every time it rings, have to write back to every piece of mail you receive, have to respond to every stupid email you get. Screen your responses.

Well, FB marketplace just worked for me. Sold our two Jet Skis for a fair price.

9 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Does anyone use eBay? I don’t but a friend has an account in the comic section and he sells my comics there, he puts in a price and then let’s time do the selling, does that work with what you guys buy and sell for or is it a different platform altogether?

I’ve never sold anything online, but I’ve bought a handful of manuals and literature on eBay and have no complaints.