vtfireman85

Craigslist idiots

I have complained about this before, and it’s all in the delivery, I have a tractor advertised, for 1800, that’s my asking price, before I fixed a couple things, I might have gone to 1400 but now I’m firm. I get an email that says “750 CASH”......as opposed to what? Travelers checks? Chickens? AOL stock? Cash is pretty much the only acceptable currency for Craigslist purchases so capitalizing it and using it as a bargaining chip is about like advertising windshield wipers and lug nuts as “options” on a car. In the first place, if you actually want me to accept or consider  an offer, be polite, say “could I make a standing offer of 750, I have cash in hand” that says to me that the value I see and the value the other guy sees are different, and he is just throwing his out there for me to consider.  Saying “CASH” preceded by less than half my asking price is just an irritating communication that instantly puts the other person (or at least does me) on edge and makes for instant irritation towards the prospective buyer, if you actually do respond, then they get all cocky like they are so much better informed about the item than you are. I don’t mind someone trying to negotiate, all I have to do is hold my ground at my bottom line, but it seems that some have no manners. 
I had this with my gold wing too, the week before I sold it for 1900 I had a guy trying to jerk me around for “500 CASH”... bite me. 

B4A340D9-07B1-49FC-A08F-D4AF3213ABBD.png

FEF3B764-0D86-466B-82DB-D7A0573826F2.jpeg

• Haha 2

I think you need to get a little thicker skin.   I just ignore people like that.    I advertise stuff a bit higher than I want, they make a reasonable offer, I counter and we both are somewhat satisfied.    

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nate said:

I think you need to get a little thicker skin.   I just ignore people like that.    I advertise stuff a bit higher than I want, they make a reasonable offer, I counter and we both are somewhat satisfied.    

I really don’t mind a low offer, I’m turned off by rudeness and amused at the use of “cash” as a bargaining chip.

• Like 2

Vt , I expect one in thirty Craigslist inquiries are serious. I feel for you but it’s a fact 
Im going to buy you a social shot of bourbon 🥃 no ice . Ok 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree Seth. Got a couple things posted right now on CL. Had a guy all interested and really nice. I sent extra pics, video walk around, you name it. He responds the next day with. “I’m willing to take the risk but I just can’t risk being down in the middle of the season”. He followed that by telling me “I can buy a new one for $5K”. Ok.....I was asking less than half of that price for this item.....huh.....did I miss something?  I responded with “There is a long way between $2250 and $5K but whatever you think. Bottom line is, just be honest, don’t be making contradictory excuses that don’t even make sense. I was born in the dark but it wasn’t last night....

I do put in my adds that I will not respond to text messages. If I get a text I delete it no matter what. After the person calls me, I will communicate via text. 

• Like 1

Yes....Typical CL! As said ignore those ones, they will go away and also any with a very foreign sounding name like Haroobash Rashieedash or something!🙄 Also , IMO it's best to only use the Craigslist email relay for communications.At least until you have a serious fish on the hook.

I like email and texts for ads, you can tell who is wasting your time without wasting your time.  When things are serious I will make a call, but have sold things and never talked to them until they showed up.

I imagine the guy read on here he was potentially getting 4 tire fulls of slime and wanted to figure in the disaster clean up costs in the price!😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He’s getting 2 ok, matching r1’s with beet juice. He’s doing ok with that. 

I like the guy a few days ago that called me and proceeded to tell me how much he knew about what I had. He talked a little about price and then told me he would call me in a couple weeks if I hadn’t sold it. I told him if I still had it in a couple weeks that the price would be the same. 

• Haha 1

I personally can't stand people who make lower offers over the phone.  Come see it, bring cash and make me an offer. I am far more likely to accept a lower offer when you are waving $100's at me. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I personally can't stand people who make lower offers over the phone.  Come see it, bring cash and make me an offer. I am far more likely to accept a lower offer when you are waving $100's at me. 

Fact. 

• Like 2

Just price it fair the first time and don’t move much on the price. Never any harm in asking but as a seller I try to be fair the first time and stick to it. 

• Like 5

oh heck thats half the fun of it, weeding out the goofs and finding someone you are ok with dealing with, i have sold stuff for cheap just  because i liked someone and felt like being generous - i dont use it for income most the time its a way to get rid of things i dont want to deal with or haul off - i use break even as a rule if i get desperate lol 

win some lose some cant take it with me anyway

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

I like email and texts for ads, you can tell who is wasting your time without wasting your time.  When things are serious I will make a call, but have sold things and never talked to them until they showed up.

I imagine the guy read on here he was potentially getting 4 tire fulls of slime and wanted to figure in the disaster clean up costs in the price!😀😀

Same here. I won't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number anyway. 

I wanted to read this to see what cl sellers or buyers opinions are, I sold one thing on cL 12 years ago, it was a car, I put one ad in went really high first call back wanted to see it then talk, he asked how firm and I said I have wiggle room, went to the locker the next day he liked what he saw made an offer I liked what he said and dat was dat. 

My problem really is I don’t sell anything much to my wife’s chagrin, my son does a lot of cl, but he’s a grinder anyway.

I recently advertised a set of plows for an elderly neighbor. Two sets actually, and the first set sold in two days, second set looks the same, so I feel that he had me price them correctly. Anyway, no calls on the second  set, no big deal....it was raining  all last week, lots of small guys are not plowing here yet. Then I get a phone call after 10 PM last night, I did not recognize the number so I did not answer it. Let it go to voicemail, I listened and it is “Dave” interested in the plows and would like me to call him back in the morning. No big deal I wait till about 8:45 this morning and give the guy a call.  Although in the posting on craigslist it clearly says where I am located, he proceeds to ask me where I am located, and he tells me where he lives, it’s about 30 miles away, but of course he does not have a truck, actually he does not even have a vehicle. Says he will need to get somebody to give him a ride out here and see if he can look at them, ask me if I can deliver them if he buys them. Well yes, yes I could,  for a price.... then he asks me how exactly a set of plows attaches to a tractor and does he need a special hitch to make that work. And how much horse power does he need.   I couldn’t take it,  seemed like the nicest guy though.  

that is exactly how the scrapper here buys EVERY week,clean barn running tractor, ad at $3500, no market so I have made standing offers $1800-2500 if no sale ,just where the rest of you would price it.

some how he cons them into <$1K and within 2 days it is parts only with nothing less than $250

when looking to buy I request serial  # + photo + x GOOD photos,and email contact as nONE of the details come thru the phone.

1 in 50 may send them

on the other side sold the  1975 coal stove first offer

2014 pellet stove,2t use, still made and parts available $1600 retail , ad for $900, first 2 were in $80K + dealer logo 3 stair lifted pimp mobiles

$200 offer. went and walked into "their" store  resell is $2500

had another like above  4-5 calls need ride ,3 weeks later  ,shows up on motorcycle...I thought we agreed on $50 last week...sure cash must strap on moto NOW!!

would really like to find another sales medium,at least 5K items in warehouse dont have time to use

cant use sh^&* book with out smc ? phone  and those are still only local

Somewhat of a similar situation recently for me. 

I found a IH Cat 2 quick hitch on Facebook Marketplace 3hrs south of gere.  Have bought a few things on it and did find. 

It was advertised for 375 OBO cash only. Sent him a few messages asking about cracks and working order. Everything was good. So beings it said OBO i shot him a 325 offer. I figure it cant hurt to make an offer when it says OBO, worse they can say is no. 

He said that would work on price. I asked if he would take a check he said no cause he had been burned by one before and didnt want to take a chance again. Granted this is thru messenger. Being 3hrs away and the middle of planting season i told him i wouldnt be down till the weekend when it looked like it was gonna rain. 

I sent him a message Saturday night asking if he would be around the next day so i could come get and give him cash...

He comes back with "Sorry i didnt let you know, but I sold it to a neighbor for more than advertised" 

Ya i wasnt real happy. So i let him know that, told him if your going to agree to something, you need to keep your word. Its not right to sell something out from under somebody when pricewas agreed upon. 

Is what it is I guess. I was happy to find a Cat 2 hitch as they are hard to find. So if any one bought surface rusty one with what was left of an IH decal around Quincy IL it was problably the one i was looking at.

I sell a lot of stuff,sold lot of stuff,bought a lot of stuff.I have no problem with people trying to low ball,work or whatever they say to get a better price.I can always smile and say no.One thing that doesn't turn me on is a offer over the phone and they want me to accept it.They usally go like they show up and act like it was not what I told them and chisel you.The Amish are great for buying over the phone,you delivering item and them chiseling you at their farm miles away.

The worst are the ones that pay you first and then show up and start complaining that you screwed them.That's why now unless I sold to you before it's come to the farm then we will talk.If you don't like it fine.

So the mower I sold for $550 appeared 3 days later for 1550, then went down to 1350 and is now down to 1100. Some one must have actually gone to look at it because the jerk's ad now has some remarks including that for 1100 he'll keep it! Yeah, right, he bought it to flip it and is greedy.

I have two PWCs on CL now. My wife handles selling. Seconds after posting she gets a CASH offer for 1000 less than asking. The ad says "cash only" so as Seth says, why should we be impressed by a CASH offer?

The model year is part of the ad yet we get "what year are they" or "are they available when the ad says that if posted they're available.

39 minutes ago, New Englander said:

So the mower I sold for $550 appeared 3 days later for 1550, then went down to 1350 and is now down to 1100. Some one must have actually gone to look at it because the jerk's ad now has some remarks including that for 1100 he'll keep it! Yeah, right, he bought it to flip it and is greedy.

I have two PWCs on CL now. My wife handles selling. Seconds after posting she gets a CASH offer for 1000 less than asking. The ad says "cash only" so as Seth says, why should we be impressed by a CASH offer?

The model year is part of the ad yet we get "what year are they" or "are they available when the ad says that if posted they're available.

Oh yes, question you to death asking the very questions answered in detail in he ad.
My favorite Craigslist story was the girl who came an hour and fifteen minutes on three different occasions to look at a car I had listed for 1200 bucks. She finally drove it when her “friend” came and went for the test drive with her, she comes back 10 minutes later pulls in, gets out does 3 walk arounds and asks me if it is a standard or an automatic....ummm....well...you just drove it...I no sooner recover from that question and she asks if I might have one in blue because she really wasn’t fond of red...🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Just quickly reading this, but it looks like a 2000 loader for sale, that is on a 504 utility tractor. So, mistakenly thinking it’s just the loader is a stretch but still possible? 
Again, that’s quickly reading the ad and not FULLY reading the ad

I just hate it when they dont put a number on there to call. I've had about 25% people actually email me back when I inquire an add on CL.  If it says call or text I usually text. If it's a piece of equipment I always call so I can ask questions. Craigslist is about dead anyway everyone is using FB marketplace. VT I guess I'm guilty of throwing "cash" in behind my offer as well. I dont low ball that bad but for sure guilty of using the term cash. As oppose to a check. As a farmer checks leave a paper trail for uncle Sam to follow. I want to claim buying it for a write off but you dont want to claim the income so it works both ways. If I pay in a check I have a paper trail showing my purchase. So when i say cash i mean green backs that you do not have to let uncle Sam know about and I miss out on my opportunity to claim it as a write off at the end of the year. I'd much rather claim it. 

I’m not on Facebook and never will be but the wife has to use it for work so I have her put stuff on their for sale sight. 

I have had great success on Craig’s list but the face book sight is even better . 

10 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I just hate it when they dont put a number on there to call. I've had about 25% people actually email me back when I inquire an add on CL.  If it says call or text I usually text. If it's a piece of equipment I always call so I can ask questions. Craigslist is about dead anyway everyone is using FB marketplace. VT I guess I'm guilty of throwing "cash" in behind my offer as well. I dont low ball that bad but for sure guilty of using the term cash. As oppose to a check. As a farmer checks leave a paper trail for uncle Sam to follow. I want to claim buying it for a write off but you dont want to claim the income so it works both ways. If I pay in a check I have a paper trail showing my purchase. So when i say cash i mean green backs that you do not have to let uncle Sam know about and I miss out on my opportunity to claim it as a write off at the end of the year. I'd much rather claim it. 

When I pay cash I ask for a bill of sale, I also go to the bank and make a withdrawl for the exact amount.  If the seller is unwilling to give a bill of sale I use my generic statement pad and create one with all pertinent info such as SN, date, sellers info, item description, etc. I then make note that seller preferred not to issue a bill of sale for unknown reasons so this is all the info on the transaction I as buyer have then I sing and file in my paperwork.

• Like 1