26 minutes ago, redneckhippie said:

Dairy's aren't always pretty either. A friend bought a pup from a dairy near by. He knew the oil owners wife. She was pretty proud and wanted to takes us on a tour. We came out of the milking parlour where the cows hung out. Went through a gate a to all our surprise there laid a dead calf. She says the bull calves aren't worth the colostrum to keep them alive so they pop them in the head. Pretty discusting in my oppion. Wonder how many other dairies use this practice.

Dont really doubt that if they attempt to sell them as calves.  Its always bothered me that with as much cheap grain as there is more holstein steers arent fattened out.  The deduction you usually get in holsteins versus beef breeds likely doesnt help but still, what a damn waste.  

Goes to show a good portion of the world could probably be fed just on food that is wasted.  Anyone going hungry definately isnt a problem originating on our end rather something government, market, or personal choice related.....

I know little about hog farms up north but I know alot about poultry farms in Arkansas.  Im on our conservation board and we help every poultry farm develop their environmental plans. Part of that plan is a mass mortality area that is big enough to place all the animals on the farm if needed.  The area is surveyed for soil type and depth so if a pit is needed a plan is ready.  

1 hour ago, redneckhippie said:

She says the bull calves aren't worth the colostrum to keep them alive so they pop them in the head. Pretty discusting in my oppion. Wonder how many other dairies use this practice.

It's rather common with non-Holsteins unless they're crossed with a beef breed.

I believe composting is proffered if possible, put out 4 foot of wood chips or so, lay in a barn of hogs( what is a barn 2500 I think? And push another few feet of some organic material over the top.  Turn it in 3 months and there’s only teeth and a few bones left.  Toss it in the spreader and problem solved

3 minutes ago, Bdse25 said:

I believe composting is proffered if possible, put out 4 foot of wood chips or so, lay in a barn of hogs( what is a barn 2500 I think? And push another few feet of some organic material over the top.  Turn it in 3 months and there’s only teeth and a few bones left.  Toss it in the spreader and problem solved

I think realistically that only happens under ideal circumstances.  In the real world it is hard to get bone to disappear by composting.  To that end I have heard of livestock operations that ran deads through a pavement grinder to destroy the bones before the composting process.  

2 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I think realistically that only happens under ideal circumstances.  In the real world it is hard to get bone to disappear by composting.  To that end I have heard of livestock operations that ran deads through a pavement grinder to destroy the bones before the composting process.  

Well it all depends what your composting. Keep in mind these are young hogs or birds!! Only a few months old realistically.  Bones get calcified with age, and that is what makes them hard to compost. I speak from experience that feeder hogs will only have the jaw bone and one other( I think in the leg?) left after 6 months.  An old cull dairy cow is an entirely different animal (pun intended) when it comes to bone decomposition 

was  at planter place today. they roast a lot of stuff, I said smells good what you making? he said they are on the 6th hog, after done cooking it is all made into pulled pork, I think these are from that 50 dollar semi load. they are Mennonite so I would think with the size of their families they could use up a whole pig. and about calves wasn't uncommon last winter to hear 40 or 50 calves shot at sale barn no bids, but lately I have heard heifer calves price is up. wonder what caused that?

3 hours ago, redneckhippie said:

Dairy's aren't always pretty either. A friend bought a pup from a dairy near by. He knew the oil owners wife. She was pretty proud and wanted to takes us on a tour. We came out of the milking parlour where the cows hung out. Went through a gate a to all our surprise there laid a dead calf. She says the bull calves aren't worth the colostrum to keep them alive so they pop them in the head. Pretty discusting in my oppion. Wonder how many other dairies use this practice.

Any dairy with non holstiens has been euthanizing bulls for decades.  0 market..not black.  Jerseys etc dont grow much and have 0 $ value.  Hol bulls even are only 5 bucks...we feed then along with eveyone else i personally know.  Lady buys and weans them and they goto ID.  With the crazy monopoly packers there is a huge ding on Hol steers.  Whats worse is i have been told by hands on floor guys a well done hol will grade as well.  But the packer dings em and sell cuts for qhat Id assume is same price per # gross.  This is another reason we've been selling our jersey cows off.  The heifer calfs are only 5 ....iiiifff they will take them

Also its NOTHING like killing 3500 hd of perfectly good animals for a media induced insanity.  Guesswhat's pushed now.......alternative meat stuff.  Just adding insult to injury

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Any dairy with non holstiens has been euthanizing bulls for decades.  0 market..not black.  Jerseys etc dont grow much and have 0 $ value.  Hol bulls even are only 5 bucks...we feed then along with eveyone else i personally know.  Lady buys and weans them and they goto ID.  With the crazy monopoly packers there is a huge ding on Hol steers.  Whats worse is i have been told by hands on floor guys a well done hol will grade as well.  But the packer dings em and sell cuts for qhat Id assume is same price per # gross.  This is another reason we've been selling our jersey cows off.  The heifer calfs are only 5 ....iiiifff they will take them

Also its NOTHING like killing 3500 hd of perfectly good animals for a media induced insanity.  Guesswhat's pushed now.......alternative meat stuff.  Just adding insult to injury

Just the fact as farmers we go to great lengths to keep animals alive and healthy. From pulling calves at birth,being there and helping a sow farrow.Fighting the cold,dark,weather to keep our animals alive.We have great satisfaction in live,healthy,comfortable animals.One reason is that we are responsible for their care.GOD gave us that responsibility.I for one like many others were raised that your livestock comes first because they can't really take care of themselves.Its your job to provide feed,shelter,water whether they are penned up or on pasture.I for grow attached even though I know I raise them for slaughter and I don't have a problem with it.I don't know how they would kill 3500 300 lb hogs,but if they gassed them that be the best.If you had to shoot each one that be a mess.I know just from dehorning when you start lopping big horns off ,the smell of that blood sets the others off.The pigs would be in chaos I would think.

9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

These people will stop at nothing to push their agenda. Take advantage of any crisis. 
Especially the one being manipulated currently. 
What’s the expression; be very very afraid? We need to be very very aware. IF something doesn’t look right, sound right or feel right, then you could be assured that it isn’t right. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jacka said:

Just the fact as farmers we go to great lengths to keep animals alive and healthy. From pulling calves at birth,being there and helping a sow farrow.Fighting the cold,dark,weather to keep our animals alive.We have great satisfaction in live,healthy,comfortable animals.One reason is that we are responsible for their care.GOD gave us that responsibility.I for one like many others were raised that your livestock comes first because they can't really take care of themselves.Its your job to provide feed,shelter,water whether they are penned up or on pasture.I for grow attached even though I know I raise them for slaughter and I don't have a problem with it.I don't know how they would kill 3500 300 lb hogs,but if they gassed them that be the best.If you had to shoot each one that be a mess.I know just from dehorning when you start lopping big horns off ,the smell of that blood sets the others off.The pigs would be in chaos I would think.

I was reading some plants can run a skeleton crew of 20 and just run the killing floor.  So at least be humane and quick as possible.  Then bring to land fills...not on farm.  But I am not close to the situation

5 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

I was reading some plants can run a skeleton crew of 20 and just run the killing floor.  So at least be humane and quick as possible.  Then bring to land fills...not on farm.  But I am not close to the situation

I am glad I am not close to it either.

I was talking with my neighbor, hog farmer,  who said that he has been told that they are running the kill floor and loading dump trucks headed to the landfill. These were corporate owned hogs. The independent farmers don't have that option so trackhoe it is. He said that he has a load ready that will be going 12 hours away to find a market. $3000 freight bill. He will not come out of that in the black. Far from it. Sad deal. 

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

Now they said on Agweek they've been destroying eggs and slaughtering hens because there's no longer a demand for eggs.

You would think because people are home they’re cooking and baking more so egg demand would be fine, maybe a little soft, but still. Must be people don’t know how to cook anymore, just using prepared chemical filled foods?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Okay, educate me as to WHY they HAD to kill these hogs instead of feeding them for a couple more weeks then sending them for processing when the plants open back up?

Because these houses only have so much capacity. They are designed to empty out, disinfect the barn and bring the next load of piglets in, all within a few days. Those pig nurseries can only hold the piglets so long before they outgrow the pens they are in. The sows are still having litters as they were bred before $--t hit the fan. Its like a train accident the locomotive wrecks and all the cars pile on top of each other with no place to go. 

The other thing is sometimes it's better to cut your losses now. You feed those pigs more you are losing money because they will knock you for being overfinished. Those heavier hogs will also aggravate the issue of longer Processing times and cause more hogs to back up in the pipeline. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

You would think because people are home they’re cooking and baking more so egg demand would be fine, maybe a little soft, but still. Must be people don’t know how to cook anymore, just using prepared chemical filled foods?

You are assuming people still know how to cook, and from what I see that’s a bit of a unicorn. Box diners, and processed crap rule the day. Not many sit at a table for diner anymore

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I always had a special bond with all of the animals that were in my care.  I knew full well when I bought or birthed them the ultimate goal was to become food.   BUT this fact did not preclude my feeling of being part of a much bigger part of life than just money.    I feel for the farmers that have to perform that final act.  

• Like 1

Maybe these mega corporations will take a lesson from this and move to a model that involves multiple smaller regional processing plants instead of one giant plant in the middle of the country so that a few people getting sick won't shut down the whole works. 

Wishful thinking I know but there's always federal regulation to bring about that change. So they can either do it on their own terms or they can do it on the government's.  I know of a couple of soap boxing politicians that would latch on to this idea like a dog on a steak bone.

7 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Wishful thinking I know but there's always federal regulation to bring about that change. So they can either do it on their own terms or they can do it on the government's.  I know of a couple of soap boxing politicians that would latch on to this idea like a dog on a steak bone.

Yep, the gubment has the answer, WRONG!  

I do agree foreign ownership of the largest hog slaughter plant needs to be addressed.

On 5/10/2020 at 2:04 PM, Matt Kirsch said:

Maybe these mega corporations will take a lesson from this and move to a model that involves multiple smaller regional processing plants instead of one giant plant in the middle of the country so that a few people getting sick won't shut down the whole works. 

This a observation I have had for years (decades) It used to be that every town had at least one meat processing plant, if there was an issue with the plant in lets say Peoria Ill the nearby plant would be able to fill that gap.   Now with almost all processing plants having hundreds if not thousands of employees we (the USA) is VERY vulnerable to any disruption.    We as a country should learn from the virus to teach us how vulnerable our food (and energy) supply is.   This may be the time to bring back a more diversified infrastructure.    

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

The eggs they probably are breaking are fertile eggs.They raise thousands of hens running with roosters.They gather them send them to a hatchery,they hatch them out for broilers,meat chickens.If they destroy them they won't have to worry about placing them in a broiler house.In a broiler house they are out in 6 to 8 weeks to be killed. I guess they don't think it will end by then

• Sad 1