destroying pigs

so sad was watching ag day this morning showed the father son and wife, going to have to destroy 3500 pigs, father was in tears, now they claim there wont be pork on the shelves. dumping milk doesn't seem quite as bad compared to that,

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

🙏🤷‍♂️So sad 😭🙏for them 

• Like 2

My Dad told of selling hogs for $0.07 a pound.

That is $21.00 for a 300 pounder.

That is very low but far better than getting nothing.

I heard Smithfield in Sioux Falls is opening back up Monday.

That should help but it will still take time to get back to what we called, normal?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MTO said:

The tears were from loss of income, not loss of their lives.

Maybe I'm a softie, but I would likely tear up having to kill animals only to have them wasted.......on top loss of lost income. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Maybe I'm a softie, but I would likely tear up having to kill animals only to have them wasted.......on top loss of lost income. 

I just can’t stand the thought of all of these animals going to waste and I have a hard time killing animals for no reason 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, MTO said:

The tears were from loss of income, not loss of their lives.

Speak for yourself but if it was me I sure be upset over killing animals that you raised for nothing,just to go to waste.I am lucky I didn't have to shoot to many down cows when I milked,the few I did was not fun even though it was best for them.

Money is not EVERYTHING.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
13 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Speak for yourself but if it was me I sure be upset over killing animals that you raised for nothing,just to go to waste.I am lucky I didn't have to shoot to many down cows when I milked,the few I did was not fun even though it was best for them.

Money is not EVERYTHING.

1000%!

When you LIVE farming, it ain’t the money you do it for.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Rumor has it that a local custom tub grinder operator was asked if he would be willing to grind 16,000 hogs . . . he said thanks but no!

Oh my,that would turn my stomach.

6 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Rumor has it that a local custom tub grinder operator was asked if he would be willing to grind 16,000 hogs . . . he said thanks but no!

Dear lord the smell, the blood, the mess, and the fact youd never get that machine clean.......

Am I the only one wondering just how these things can just be buried? Thousands of animals buried is gonna poison the water table.  Just try going and burying stuff on your own and youd find yourself with fines or jailtime.  IF this has to be done, why not a landfill? 

4 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Is it possible to turn the pigs loose to the wild?

If youd want a major feral hog issue down the road 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
24 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Dear lord the smell, the blood, the mess, and the fact youd never get that machine clean.......

Am I the only one wondering just how these things can just be buried? Thousands of animals buried is gonna poison the water table.  Just try going and burying stuff on your own and youd find yourself with fines or jailtime.  IF this has to be done, why not a landfill? 

They would have to be burned, then buried 

3 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

They would have to be burned, then buried 

Whats the method for burning them? We had the bright idea a burning a dead cow one time.  Had enough tires and brush to make that fire look like a pagan ritual.  Made the cow crispy on the outside, and not so much otherwise.  Pretty gross......

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
9 hours ago, pt756 said:

local sale yard is getting a semi load in today 50 bucks a piece

As I previously said, wish they would get something going and bring a few loads East.  Several family owned butcher shops and sale barns out this way.  Craigslist feeder pigs when I looked were $85 each & up but most after $110 were show pigs ($125-350).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Whats the method for burning them? We had the bright idea a burning a dead cow one time.  Had enough tires and brush to make that fire look like a pagan ritual.  Made the cow crispy on the outside, and not so much otherwise.  Pretty gross......

That I don’t know. Hot and slow? Pile them in brush do they’re surrounded by the fire? I don’t know.

If I had to shoot a pot load of my calves I'd be pretty upset about it. I dont think I could do it. I'd just tell somebody to come get them and I dont want to know. Money isn't everything. 100% of 0 is still 🤔  but having 3500 of anything is a sight to see. Such a shame 

• Sad 1
21 hours ago, pt756 said:

so sad was watching ag day this morning showed the father son and wife, going to have to destroy 3500 pigs, father was in tears, now they claim there wont be pork on the shelves. dumping milk doesn't seem quite as bad compared to that,

Dairy's aren't always pretty either. A friend bought a pup from a dairy near by. He knew the oil owners wife. She was pretty proud and wanted to takes us on a tour. We came out of the milking parlour where the cows hung out. Went through a gate a to all our surprise there laid a dead calf. She says the bull calves aren't worth the colostrum to keep them alive so they pop them in the head. Pretty discusting in my oppion. Wonder how many other dairies use this practice.

• Sad 1