Sign in to follow this  
INTERNATIONAL 1466

Overhead shop hoist

Wish we had an overhead shop hoist for these jobs. Can't have much else in our shop when we do these jobs. Projects like this get the boys and I dreaming of a new SHOP someday. Would like an overhead hoist that covered a large portion of the shop. You can see our current hoist in the background .:D

KIMG1552.jpg

KIMG1554.jpg

KIMG1549.jpg

KIMG1550.jpg

• Like 5

Looks like a nice work area.

Love your little red bin rack against the wall ! You just gave me an idea.

BTW no matter how big the shop , Its never big enough

Stay safe,

Tony

• Like 1

You have all those nice splitting stands and not even a cherry picker?

Build or buy a nice A frame gantry crane. Nice casters so you can move it wherever you want it. Wide enough so you can get around it easily. I think mine is 12 foot and I would not want less. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Build or buy a nice A frame gantry crane. Nice casters so you can move it wherever you want it. Wide enough so you can get around it easily. I think mine is 12 foot and I would not want less. 

X2 . Can pick up 3 tons with ours that we made . Very handy and safer than a loader or fork truck. Biggest advantage it can be controlled slowly and in tiny increments

• Like 3

whoa, u guys have all the stuff, when my tractor breaks im loading up and heading to one of you guys to tear into it

I put one in and glad I did, haven’t use it a lot but sure is nice 

1DBD08C0-1FCF-4448-AE26-6F393753E7F8.jpeg

3 hours ago, bitty said:

X2 . Can pick up 3 tons with ours that we made . Very handy and safer than a loader or fork truck. Biggest advantage it can be controlled slowly and in tiny increments

I’m going to make one. What size of I beam did you use?

3 hours ago, bitty said:

This is what I built. Note how we braces it the chain can go to the end of the I-beam . Also we clamped the beam so it could be replaced with a longer one if we wanted someday, all 3/4" grade 8 hardware and steel lock nuts. 

IMG_20200508_155048047.jpg

IMG_20200508_155056914.jpg

IMG_20200508_155100353.jpg

IMG_20200508_155109410.jpg

IMG_20200508_155114290.jpg

IMG_20200508_155118937.jpg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Mike Stearns said:

I’m going to make one. What size of I beam did you use?

It's 12" tall by 5" wide , not sure what weight it is

I have 3 in my much smaller shop. 2 crosswise which are also integral in supporting the upper floor and one lengthwise for splitting tractors. I use them all the time.

pancake muffin 009.JPG

• Like 2

I've had a couple, beautiful work as usual Bitty I'm looking at something well thought out there

If you go to lkgoodwin website they supply so much info it's almost a beam calculator and blueprint to build your own

Looks like S12 31.8 offhand, try to use a structural beam as compared to an H or W beam, much better for this application and the forces involved

There is a S10 beam that is another good choice think it's around 35 lbs per foot almost the same rating as the lighter 12" and makes for a slightly lower profile

It all depends on your anticipated uses and loads, better over built and under used

I have a 5 ton CM chainfall and a 1 ton pneumatic for powered on mine

34 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I've had a couple, beautiful work as usual Bitty I'm looking at something well thought out there

If you go to lkgoodwin website they supply so much info it's almost a beam calculator and blueprint to build your own

Looks like S12 31.8 offhand, try to use a structural beam as compared to an H or W beam, much better for this application and the forces involved

There is a S10 beam that is another good choice think it's around 35 lbs per foot almost the same rating as the lighter 12" and makes for a slightly lower profile

It all depends on your anticipated uses and loads, better over built and under used

I have a 5 ton CM chainfall and a 1 ton pneumatic for powered on mine

Yes it should be an I beam not a W beam . The trollies are tapered for the I beam angle

3 hours ago, bitty said:

This is what I built. Note how we braces it the chain can go to the end of the I-beam . Also we clamped the beam so it could be replaced with a longer one if we wanted someday, all 3/4" grade 8 hardware and steel lock nuts. 

IMG_20200508_155048047.jpg

IMG_20200508_155056914.jpg

IMG_20200508_155100353.jpg

IMG_20200508_155109410.jpg

IMG_20200508_155114290.jpg

IMG_20200508_155118937.jpg

You have excellent fab skills Bitty. I like the braces not blocking the main beam. Plus taking the time to bolt it all together shows forward thinking. Well done!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Wish we had an overhead shop hoist for these jobs. Can't have much else in our shop when we do these jobs. Projects like this get the boys and I dreaming of a new SHOP someday. Would like an overhead hoist that covered a large portion of the shop. You can see our current hoist in the background .:D

Your hoist is the same brand as mine, just much larger and much newer.  I would go for a gantry crane as bitty suggests.  I have a small gantry crane myself I use on rare occasion.  I have a round roof building for a shop so a having a full blown overhead crane is near enough impossible to make happen, unless NASA gets involved.  If you need a source for an I beam to make a gantry crane I can offer a suggestion . . . 

I would buy a new I beam ....

This might show it better . 

Fall2010019(Medium)(full).jpg

ShopAugust2010009(Medium).jpg

ShopAugust2010007(Medium).jpg

• Like 6

Home made bridge crane here, 2 cross beams with 2 hoist on each beam, on rail system covers the entire shop. 3 ton cap. in center with 16 ft hook height from floor. Which isn't high enough now, when I built it I thought we would never out grow it but along come taller tires and bigger cabs. By far the best, most used tool in the shop. Gets used everyday, we split just about everything from over head. I have made multiple lift brackets for various different cabs an etc......as needed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cool1566 said:

You have excellent fab skills Bitty. I like the braces not blocking the main beam. Plus taking the time to bolt it all together shows forward thinking. Well done!

I built this in '99 , you can tell by all the dust on it. Lol 

My welding wasn't as nice back then and my torching was even worst. Fitment could have been better. The tubing is 5" square, the caster wheels are rated for something like 3,400 each making every component capable of 3 tons. We have a few times had a 237 or 300 Mack hanging with a 5 speed off of it and that seems heavy when pulling it up with the 3 metric ton Chester hoist I got from McMaster Carr. I have that quality hoist and then a cheap 1/2 ton for light work

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smfarms said:

You have all those nice splitting stands and not even a cherry picker?

No, never have had. Will build one some day. We build all our own stands as well. We built the ones you see there.

10 hours ago, bitty said:

I had one about like yours that I built years ago. It worked in the shop I was in then, but when we moved here I lost two feet of head height. I sold it to the guy who moved into my previous shop. Honestly with me and the boys the loader works really pretty good. They say Dad can move the loader in 100th inch increments, which is close enough. I do hope for a crane again though.

9 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

I had one about like yours that I built years ago. It worked in the shop I was in then, but when we moved here I lost two feet of head height. I sold it to the guy who moved into my previous shop. Honestly with me and the boys the loader works really pretty good. They say Dad can move the loader in 100th inch increments, which is close enough. I do hope for a crane again though.

I use the hoe on the backhoe here out of habit from working at the truck garage years ago.  If we need elf movement we put a chain fall on it.  Only thing that would make it better would be getting a new machine with pilots and rigging up a wireless control like on the service truck although with good operator even on my 24 year old antique I can almost sit in a lawn chair and pull things apart and never get up .  Thing that annoys me with a gantry is one direction is a PITA to move no matter what you do.  Jib cranes are sweet, but one that will lift any serious weight takes a bigger footer and big post to lift at full reach.  Bridge crane is the best, but it almost needs designed into the building before its up.  I had a customer who built one in his building, and it worked sweet, but another issue was the building was built at the time for what was thought to be the biggest quipment and we still had to use the backhoe to pull the combine engine because it wouldn't fit under it with enough clearance to get the engine up far enough with the chain fall on the trolley.  

13 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Home made bridge crane here, 2 cross beams with 2 hoist on each beam, on rail system covers the entire shop. 3 ton cap. in center with 16 ft hook height from floor. Which isn't high enough now, when I built it I thought we would never out grow it but along come taller tires and bigger cabs. By far the best, most used tool in the shop. Gets used everyday, we split just about everything from over head. I have made multiple lift brackets for various different cabs an etc......as needed. 

When I win the Lottery, a bridge crane will be in my shop too.

14 hours ago, ole 815 said:

Fall2010019(Medium)(full).jpg

ShopAugust2010009(Medium).jpg

ShopAugust2010007(Medium).jpg

Wow! wish I could keep my shop that clean. 

• Like 2