Hey guys.   I got a buddy just picked up a 1600 loadstar, and he wants to put a 6v71 Detroit in or 6-53    (Currently has stock 345)

Has anybody on here done this kind of thing, and or have any advice?    We obviously understand it’s not a simple swap, but just curious what we would be up against?    

Thanks 

Find an old  1800 series (1850 I think) they were offered  with the 6v53 Detroit every thing from the bubble grille to the firewall of the cab is different including the cab mounts as the cab sits higher then you have to figure out the brakes the Detroit powered ones I have seen had air brakes  All the 1600  Loadstars I have seen or worked on have had hydraulic brakes

At the very end IH offered the dt466 as an option in the Loadstar. I drove one a bit about 20 years ago. The doghouse was different to fit the longer engine, that particular truck had air brakes, I’m going to guess the 466 was only available on the biggest Loadstars. That is the route that I would take to do a diesel conversion, better motor IMO, and there are factory parts floating around to put it together.

We put a 1979 466 out of a Loadstar in an 1850 that had a 550 in it. The donor truck was a factory 1800 single axle with vacuum juice brakes. We had to swap the front motor mount X-member because the 466 sits at an angle towards the passenger side. BTW, the cab sits higher on the bigger loadstars because the frame mounts are different, the cabs are the same. Been there, done that! Also BTW, I still have the 466 and 5 speed if anyone wants it. The old 1850 kinda fell apart and we junked it.

Thanks for the input everyone.    I guess it’s just to have something a little unique and a project.     Not sure what will happen with it yet.   He asked me about it,  and I figured this was a perfect place to get feed back.    
thanks 

Absolutely anything would be better than a 550!