Super MTA L.P. Questions

#1. The number that always seems to come up on these is 500. Does anyone know how many went to Lubbock for conversion and how many went to San Angelo for conversion? Just curious.

#2. Watched the one in the link sell this morning. Even went and looked last week. It's a San Angelo conversion tractor. I called the seller afterwards to see if he was happy and he was as he was hoping for $1500. He admitted he had around 20 calls on it. And two guys asked for the number above the distributor which is 118414D. One guy admitted it was the right number so he would be bidding. So I'm curious what that number told him? 

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/farm-equipment/auctions/online/193054357/international-super-mta?&obb=1&AuctionEnded=1

Im no help other then someone wanted her.?

All the boys talk about these cheap tractors that unfortunately dont exist in my neighborhood.  My gut tells me this one went high.

Told him the serial number was for a SMTA engine and the D means it was built with with what IH called 5,000 ft. altitude pistons for more compression. Lots of the conversions were built with a D or E suffix to run better on LP , E was 8,000 ft for more compression than the 5,000.  Tractor built pretty early in the year March 54.  Most  Lubbock tractors I notice are latter in production.  Can't say how many built although there may be a record of how many sent to Lubbock.  Find to many exceptions on numbers to stick my neck out to a certain number.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Im no help other then someone wanted her.?

All the boys talk about these cheap tractors that unfortunately dont exist in my neighborhood.  My gut tells me this one went high.

Your absolutely right someone wanted her pretty bad. More than I did. ?. And I agree with your gut, and mine, it went high.

4 hours ago, DWV said:

Told him the serial number was for a SMTA engine and the D means it was built with with what IH called 5,000 ft. altitude pistons for more compression. Lots of the conversions were built with a D or E suffix to run better on LP , E was 8,000 ft for more compression than the 5,000.  Tractor built pretty early in the year March 54.  Most  Lubbock tractors I notice are latter in production.  Can't say how many built although there may be a record of how many sent to Lubbock.  Find to many exceptions on numbers to stick my neck out to a certain number.

After posting these questions I did some comparing on my own. Those comparisons match exactly what you said. D in the engine serial number and D in the tractor serial number were a match. I also know of a different l.p. tractor. It's got E in both places to. And your also right on it being a early March tractor. Engine block casting is 3-1-Z. I've obviously been researching these tractors and during that research stumbled onto a Lubbock conversion tractor with a 62,000ish serial number. But agreed, most seem to be later.

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Kind of a neat old tractor but id have hated to give more than 1500 for it myself. Id say he did all right.

Very cool unit. Was kinda interested cause we like our smta around here. And friend and I were conversing what we thought the value was. And we were thinking along the same lines as you. I'll admit I tested the waters north of that $1500 mark a little twice and was immediately outbid so I walked away. It was very obvious someone else wanted it pretty bad. 

• Like 1