DON"T buy maxxiforce engine kits!!!

So a year ago I overhauled a customers mx240,including cam and lifters ALL maxxiforce parts.    I ran it on the dyno and followed the break in procedure from the manual like usual plus a little time.  standard 15w40 for good break in.   that summer customer calls and is using a gallon of oil per 24 hour day.  He is a crap hauller so its getting used plenty to seat the rings.  had him cover the radiator and run most of the day at 200 deg temp.   Still a gallon a day.   he put 450 hours on it no change.  I just finished re overhauling it.   with FP diesel cylinders(fed mogul) and the rod bearings were looking rough, as well as a new lifter going bad,so My trust on anything else was gone- I put a new Cummins cam,lifters,and all cummins bearings in.   even the thrust main was flaking.  Customer called last week and had just changed break in oil,said it was on the full mark yet.              All this said I returned the parts to Hy-cap for warranty,  Guess what MaxxiForce wouldn't cover a penny!!! said I didn't break it in right!! OK! but what about all the stuff going to crap in 400 hours???   So I'm doing you guys a favor by sharing this.   Hy Capacity did step up and credit my cost on the parts-no labor,  but the maxxipad parts company not covering a penny really gets me going.     SO all this said buy genuine cummins or fedral mogul only in my opinion!!      

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

Can't say I've ever used any engine parts from Maxxiforce, mostly because they didn't offer anything for older engines like I was working on.

On that note, I see HyCap found a new source for D/DT407 engine overhaul kits, not sure about them yet, never heard of the name of the new supplier, Absolute.

From what others on here say about maxiforce or reliance engine parts I'm confused on what the heck do you buy ? Case'IH's is no good and cost twice as much and I believe they subsititue reliance parts also 

6 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

From what others on here say about maxiforce or reliance engine parts I'm confused on what the heck do you buy ? Case'IH's is no good and cost twice as much and I believe they subsititue reliance parts also 

Caseih is reliance on older stuff even 8.3 Cummins

3 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Can't say I've ever used any engine parts from Maxxiforce, mostly because they didn't offer anything for older engines like I was working on.

On that note, I see HyCap found a new source for D/DT407 engine overhaul kits, not sure about them yet, never heard of the name of the new supplier, Absolute.

I am pretty sure Absolute was started by some former Reliance employees that were not happy with the direction Reliance was going with the new owners/management. I have been getting some Absolute engine parts from Riley Tractor Parts. I think Absolute is working on adding part numbers and building inventory, which I am sure has been somewhat difficult with the whole Covid 19 thing. Also, Riley's hired several of Tom's Agri-Diesels former employees and they are working out of an office in Harlan Iowa.

Just got some parts in today that are branded Absolute, complete with rice cardboard packaging. PS customers decision to go aftermarket not mine. 

The cylinders were in nice shape yet,guess rings just wouldn't seat.    On Absolute kits,I did just use a kit from them on a 6.7 iveco in a mcCormick mtx135.   it was the only thing available.  without paying tripple the cost from mccormick.  totally nuts on parts.  maybe even worse than fiat.

What oil?  Looks like the oil film was breaking down on the bearing to me.  If this was the case this would for sure cause oil consumption.

Unfortunately this is what we are getting today for overhaul kits , so keep this in mind when you guys are doing overhauls . When ever you can buy OEM over haul kits and if you can’t get one  find a vendor that handles Federal Mogul kits , if there not available for what your working on then it’s a Reliance kit and you better check everything ten times while assembling . Keep in mind who is paying the bill when this junk stuff we are buying don’t work and it comes back to you and you get to overhaul it again for free??

I am a friend of Luke’s /Kruger Diesel  that did this overhaul and the guy has worked at Case IH and knows what he is doing and I know some of you might think it’s an assemble problem , not broke in properly , what oil and filters ? He torn this tractor back down and put stuff in from Cummins and Federal Mogul /quality parts and did the overhaul just like the one 400 hours ago and now it works perfect , well what can you say ? nothing , this after market stuff is junk and has the Corona and is straight out of China .

Hy Capacity tried to help Luke with credit of the parts but Maxxi Force has done nothing , he eats all the labor and the extra cost of OEM parts to make it work to keep the customer happy . Keep in mind Maxxi Force says , you put it together wrong !!! Total BS on there part !!!

Danny 

• Thanks 1

Always a loop hole somewhere for whoever is responsible to jump out thru. When I was at dealer customer bought new tractor, changed oil (less than 1000) hours and still under warranty. He ran into town, grabbed an oil filter (Fram) next thing you know scored cylinder. I found a clogged piston cooling nozzle, cut filter open and glue holding media in filter had same color and consistency as the piece I found in cooling nozzle. You think Fram stood behind customers engine? Nope found a loop hole to jump out, my Mother always said the bold print gives and the fine print takes it away. Lot of truth to that statement.  

13 hours ago, 460 said:

What oil?  Looks like the oil film was breaking down on the bearing to me.  If this was the case this would for sure cause oil consumption.

had case ih oil in, tried a couple brands and made no diff.  it wouldn't mater what was in it when using a gallon a day it was always fresh-not broke down.

13 hours ago, 460 said:

That is what appears to me................I know for a fact after checking my files I have rolled their bearings in the bottom ends of 466 Deeres and all of them are going fine?  Acouple of those guys do oil analysis as well and I haven't ever heard a peep from them.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

That is what appears to me................I know for a fact after checking my files I have rolled their bearings in the bottom ends of 466 Deeres and all of them are going fine?  Acouple of those guys do oil analysis as well and I haven't ever heard a peep from them.  

so I guess because the ones you installed haven't come back, you know exactly what they look like inside?  And as if all these suppliers never have a bad batch of parts get out?  I've used lots of reliance kits on 8.3s and never had a problem either,but lots of other people have.  Guess they must have installed them wrong or their oil broke down.

15 minutes ago, kruegerdiesel said:

so I guess because the ones you installed haven't come back, you know exactly what they look like inside?  And as if all these suppliers never have a bad batch of parts get out?  I've used lots of reliance kits on 8.3s and never had a problem either,but lots of other people have.  Guess they must have installed them wrong or their oil broke down.

Well, I am sure something would have shown up in the analysis if things were going south by now, its been a few years and they have been used that is for sure.

I just don't see all this hype going with OEM thinking problems are eliminated...............They are getting the same junk from the same place for older powerplants in different packing with a ton higher price tag.  Basically, they don't want to support it with parts, they want it gone to sell new as is the case with pretty much everything these days.  I picked up parts in person at an A&I warehouse here in town while it was here, the green parts were the same exact ones the OEM was selling and the only difference was the sticker on them.............. and I had people kicking, swearing, and screaming the aftermarket was junk and only wanted OEM because the quality was better.  Only difference was price and the mindset of the guy who stuff they were getting put on.  

1 hour ago, kruegerdiesel said:

had case ih oil in, tried a couple brands and made no diff.  it wouldn't mater what was in it when using a gallon a day it was always fresh-not broke down.

Interesting.  I think something was creating metal maybe cam and lifters? Which created the demise and I suspect created oil contamination.  Did you see any deavation in oil pressure?  Did anyone put a temp gun on the oil pan?  Did you do oil analysis?  Sure sucks that you had to go through this, no one wants to go through this when engine building.  That was great that Hy Capacity stepped up to credit you the kit!

Scott

I dunno, something just seems really fishy that so many components went south at once.  Could see just oil consumption, and maybe an improperly hardened lifter, but that weird bearing wear too? 

Just my opinion but the minute there was a complaint I would have yanked an oil sample.  

A must see for anyone who builds or wants to learn alittle more about engine oils.  Click on the oil one, there are others too.  It is worth the hour of your time!  You just have to enter your name and email and pre recorded video will load.

AERA

Early 80's rebuilt my Cat 1693 using aftermarket parts, Bought liner kits ready to install which I did without checking ring end gap. Ran it about 5000 miles everything is good till rod comes out the side pulling hill. Thank God it was 5 miles from home. Pull head off 3 liners have scoring. Pull pistons out check ring end gap 16-17K IIRC Cat said 21-22K . Got few bucks back from parts guy. Found a used engine stripped it down had Cat dealer install OEM kits then i put all the ginger bread stuff on,  gear train/retarder/head . Sold the truck in the early 90's to a guy which sold it to another guy 4-5 years ago. I met the new owner at Paccar open house a year ago. Turns out in the 70's he worked for Western Peterbilt in Seattle and had picked up the truck new at the factory in California. Truck had made a full circle and still running like a top.

• Like 1