Jump to content

'49 TD-6 in Industrial Yellow


Recommended Posts

Hey guys. Trying to confirm or deny that the TD-6 was offered in the IH Industrial Line in yellow for 1949. In the resources I have here, I'm not seeing them in yellow that early but that doesn't mean they weren't. Shot a nice '49 TD-6 in Industrial Yellow, with an equally nice Bucyrus-Erie Bullgrader on it and want to know if the yellow could be real or something fanciful by the owner (who I am unable to reach for comment). A pic is below, as seen at the NW Engine Show in Findlay, Ohio, for 2019. I know the Series 62 came in yellow and I think the Series 61, but the '40-56? Many thanks.

TD-6LR.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The gas start diesels had there problem if you don't treat them right. Nothing but headaches for contractors that but any butt in a seat. So with the reputation going down it was not uncommon for people to say don't show up with a Red Devil,so cleaver people started painting them yellow.

 

 

Somewhere along the line everybody painted them yellow at the factor. IH was earlier than AC I think. My guess is about 60 for IH to come new in yellow paint. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ray54 said:

The gas start diesels had there problem if you don't treat them right. Nothing but headaches for contractors that but any butt in a seat. So with the reputation going down it was not uncommon for people to say don't show up with a Red Devil,so cleaver people started painting them yellow.

 

 

Somewhere along the line everybody painted them yellow at the factor. IH was earlier than AC I think. My guess is about 60 for IH to come new in yellow paint. 

Bought a 59 TD9-92 in about 1974. It was yellow then, but where the paint was missing in spots, it showed red.

DWF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an early TD6 Red

A very early TD 14 Red under the pink repaint with hippy artistry

A 1955 TD18A 181 Yellow with signs of Red under the repaint

Think there was an early T9 that just appeared and he has found red under the yellow that was thought to be original

Not saying they weren't but hard to definitively prove they were...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spent a couple of hours in the Paint Committee files this morning but could not find an answer as to the color. I looked thru the crawler images again and the earliest yellow crawlers I could find were in the Series 61, which started in '56. Looked again online and I couldn't find any first series crawlers in yellow that could be absolutely confirmed as having come that way from the factory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

My 1967 BTD6 was yellow from the factory, the original owner painted it red and It has been in our family for the last 25 years. I intend to repaint it red next year. Why ? Because I like red tractors. 🤠

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave Mac said:

My 1967 BTD6 was yellow from the factory, the original owner painted it red and It has been in our family for the last 25 years. I intend to repaint it red next year. Why ? Because I like red tractors. 🤠

 

Dave...it must have a Simms,  Mini-Mec    injection  pump  ??

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mike newman said:

Dave...it must have a Simms,  Mini-Mec    injection  pump  ??

Mike

Not sure Mike but here is a photo ?E6A06CA3-ED4F-43BE-84AB-1956423206DE.thumb.jpeg.850ebc482865db70f3f030d26132a85b.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

...that's the one !!

....the 634    IH    (British ) wheel tractor I had, was also fitted with that injection  pump.......as were Fordson   Major and Nuffeild   tractors

...far more ''hi-tech'  than the old "C.A.V.". on the earlier  BD264    and BD281 engines

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...that's the one !!

....the 634    IH    (British ) wheel tractor I had, was also fitted with that injection  pump.......as were Fordson   Major and Nuffeild   tractors

...far more ''hi-tech'  than the old "C.A.V.". on the earlier  BD264    and BD281 engines

Mike

The earlier Fordsons until 1963, used  the older style Simms with the pneumatic governor . The "Mini-mec" (mechanical governor) came into fruition on the "new Performance Super Majors ,giving them higher rpm on the PTO and up from 52 to 54 hp. On a side note,Simms was taken over by the Lucas CAV group in 1968.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mike newman said:

...that's the one !!

....the 634    IH    (British ) wheel tractor I had, was also fitted with that injection  pump.......as were Fordson   Major and Nuffeild   tractors

...far more ''hi-tech'  than the old "C.A.V.". on the earlier  BD264    and BD281 engines

Mike

That’s good to know, it has always been a good starter, even tho only three glow plugs work !! It starts on three blows smoke on no 4 until it joins the team after it warms up a bit. Apparently original glow plugs are as rare as hens teeth, I might fit one of those Japanese glow plug kits that come with the tooling etc. Don’t know anyone who has fitted one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...