gijoe365

IH 500E crawler/loader

Ok guys...I'm new here and have been surfing the posts trying to find a good solution to my problem.   I have a 500E crawl loader.   Great machine up until a few days ago.   Was pushing some old logs and dirt, and the machine just stopped moving.  No forward, reverse.  Don't matter what gear I put it in.   It's a 3 speed with a torque converter and auto reverser.   All fluids and filters are changed and to proper levels.   I need to know where to start my investigation.  I'm quite able to work on this machine but I've no idea where to start.   It did not make any noise when it stopped moving.  My guess is torque converter or the reverser.   Suggestions??  Any and all help is much appreciated!

IMG_20190917_072234373.jpg

Ok...I have an update to this project.   I've investigated and read posts until I can't read any more and with all the information I've read I am on to something. I checked the new filters I replaced on the reverser.   There is no fluid going to them.   They are both still dry as when I put them in.   So this tells me that my charge pump is not working.   I'll dig into splitting the machine and see what I find and update the status.

You can check the 2 pressure ports on top of the reverser and see what they have for pressure. I think lube pressure is in the area of 12 psi in neutral and 75ish when forward or reverse is selected... going from memory which is never good.... I think the front port is the forward clutch pack and the rear one is the reverse pack.... of course I could have that backwards. I have the manuals if you need me to check. I have rebuilt my reverser so I can offer some suggestions if you need them. I would do a little more checking before I resorted to splitting the machine. Pull the converter inspection cover and make sure the converter is spinning... pull the suction screen and make sure its not all plugged up. Make sure nobody stole all the fluid...lol

Well I've pulled the large 2 inch hose that feeds the reverser and found the top clamp was really loose.   Thought I had the problem solved.    Got some good heavy duty hose clamps and put it all back together.   Still no fluid going to the filters on side of reverser.  

zbo2...thanks for your input.   I've pulled the plate off the reverser and all looks good there.   Pulling plate off torque converter today to see how that looks.  I'll let you know what I find.  As far as psi in either port on reverser, zero.   No fluid going where I need it.   Is there a charge pump in the drive train??   

Posted (edited)

Well that was easy.   Dropped the inspection cover on torque converter and found the bolts sheared off.   I guess I need to split it now and replace a few bolts.   Does anyone know if I can replace the torque converter without splitting this?   It looks like I can do it from underneath.   

I guess the bolts are not sheared off.   It was there is a plate between flywheel and torque converter that has just rusted away to almost nothing.   May have something to do with the enormous mouse nest built in the housing.   Any idea what this plate is called and what a part number would be for it?  It came out in about 12 pieces and it seems really thin.   But I couldn't tell you what the thickness was before.

IMG_20200517_095947873.jpg

Edited by gijoe365

Raleigh99,

Thanks for the info.   I started pulling the motor forward today.   Had to go do chores and will have to finish tomorrow.  Once I have the converter out I'll go about trying to locate a new flex plate.   

Got the engine pulled forward and got the torque converter out this morning.   Torque converter will likely need replacing since the center spud is bent and disfigured a bit.   So I will need a flex plate and torque converter to get this ol girl back to work.   

IMG_20200519_093255568.jpg

IMG_20200519_093303246.jpg

Thanks Rawleigh99...I sent them an email.   However this project just took a turn for the worse.   I noticed a piece of broken casting laying on the mat under the dozer.  Upon further inspection I found that I didn't pull the oil tube out of the pump when I pulled the machine apart.   So I'm looking at a broken charge pump casting.   I doubt this can be fixed and not leak.   So I'm now trying to find a charge pump also.   Dammit!!  Does anyone know how to take this pump out?   I've removed the 4 bolts and it moves out about 1/8 inch but no farther.   

IMG_20200519_142110803.jpg

Other places to try:  Brown Equipment in BC and Countyline Equipment in Washington State

Rawleigh99.   

I'm hoping so.   I can only find one piece of that casting that broke off.  Spent 3 hours looking on the shop floor under that machine today.   But only found the one piece.   I think the local weld shop can definitely braze it.   Not sure about it sealing though.  Can't believe I did that.   But I guess I learned from it.

Once again thanks for the parts yards.   I'll check them out tomorrow while I stare at that broken cast piece.   Would you have any idea how that pump comes out?   

I'm not entirely sure if it pressure or return.  It's a snug fit with an o ring on each side of the tube so I'm assuming it seals.   If I can figure out how to remove the pump I can see better what I'm dealing with.   I'd love to find a tech manual for this machine.   I have an operator manual and a service manual but a shop or tech manual would definitely be a great investment 

Is there enough room for them to braze another fitting into the old one and then shorten the tube?  That might seal better.

Rawleigh99...That's what the plan is.   I still have not removed the pump.   Had a couple busy days and wasn't able to get to the crawler.   Hopefully tomorrow I will be under that thing again.   I can see a snap ring was up in there and I am assuming that is probably how I take the pump off    

Thanks for the info on the torque converter.   I'll send you a update after tomorrow.   Hopefully I make progress.

I have to try to remember how it comes off. I don't remember it being complicated. Have to find my manuals. I guess when the flex plate went south the converter wobbled and bent the nose. The charge pump has been tough finding. You can also try Steve at https://www.sadygerts.com/.... awesome guy to deal with.

OK... you have to remove the reverser control valve and charge pump manifold to get the charge pump out. Both tubes need to come out as well.

zbo2,

Thanks for that information...I was gonna go in a different direction when removing the pump.   This is the information I needed.   

I've located all the parts I need to put her back together...just waiting for them to get here.   

I have an update on this project.   I pulled the pump out today.   Not a great job but not the worse thing I've ever done.   Once I got it out I began looking it over and I noticed that I can not turn the input shaft...at all.   I'm thinking maybe this pump is locked up.   I put a set of chanel locks on it and still couldn't get it to turn.   Don't want to force anything and I have a new pump coming but I'd like to know if this input shaft should turn freely.