Slime sealant in tubes tires

So I ordered a tube from my preferred tire supplier, it arrived a nice firestone with a brass lock nut. Put it in a 16.9-28 on the 504 , these tires don’t have long for the world , the rims either, ,this one was a little rusty inside but I have seen worse. I put it in the tire, I did not take it all the way off the rim, and I am 98 percent sure I did not pinch it. It went flat... as I watched . 🤬🤬🤬. I haven’t got the bill on it yet but it wasn’t a cheap tube. I don’t need it to last forever, and I am not pulling punches about the condition of this tractor, I am trying to sell it and it will sell a lot better with 4 tires holding air. Has anyone had any luck with using slime sealer in a tube? I suspect there’s a cord or something poking out inside the tire, I have a large container here and could get another. Open to suggestions here. 

Take it back apart and check it out.    Not to long ago the  tire guy put a brand new firestone Natural rubber tube in a 16.9-30 that had a thin spot in it and got a hole right away.  I only know this because I took it apart the next day so we could get going.  It was fine after I patched it.  Our tire guy is using Michelin tubes any time he can now because they are so much heavier.  I doubt you will have much luck with sealer.  

Not a fan of the slime. Probably has a place. As far as your tube is concerned, if your rim is rusty and you didn't clean it up the tube won't slide on the rim it will just tear it or puncture it. Learned that the hard way early in life when I started messing with tires. Long story short, a clean rim is your friend in these situations. Hope that makes sense.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Can't add anything other than bad words on that crap and those who use it.  

Speaking of expanding vocabulary, it took no fewer than 4 wrenches  3 sockets and a pipe wrench to remove the 8 mismatched bolts holding the wheel on. And one of them was metric with a spline drive tamper proof lug nut on it. 

🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Haha 1

I had one new tube in a 18.4 rear tire that split near the valve stem when I was setting the air pressure after loading the tire. Kind of a freak issue and I know for a fact it wasn't pinched because I would air them up before loading to make sure I didn't have a issue. Wasn't fun and never happened again. 

3 minutes ago, red tractor fever said:

Not a fan of the slime. Probably has a place. As far as your tube is concerned, if your rim is rusty and you didn't clean it up the tube won't slide on the rim it will just tear it or puncture it. Learned that the hard way early in life when I started messing with tires. Long story short, a clean rim is your friend in these situations. Hope that makes sense.

Ordinarily I would, ive repaired and patched my share of rims, and they are holding fine. I should have taken it out and cleaned it up , haste makes waste I suppose. 🙄

10 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Speaking of expanding vocabulary, it took no fewer than 4 wrenches  3 sockets and a pipe wrench to remove the 8 mismatched bolts holding the wheel on. And one of them was metric with a spline drive tamper proof lug nut on it. 

🤬🤬🤬🤬

Best advise I can give, put the slime in it, put the tire back on with all those fasteners, sell it.................Then send out a robot to get the mail because sooner or later there might be a bomb in it :lol:

• Thanks 1

Not a fan either, carried a can on the bike just in case middle of nowhere bla bla bla but horror stories abound and never used it.

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ordinarily I would, ive repaired and patched my share of rims, and they are holding fine. I should have taken it out and cleaned it up , haste makes waste I suppose. 🙄

Hast does make waste. Once I swapped some tires for a neighbor on the front of his 8N Ford. The one never even got aired up before problems arose. And another time I swapped tires on the back of my in-laws 300 utility. The first one went flat before I got the second one done. I missed a couple little bumps that punctured the tube. So I learned my lesson. Clean rims are a must. Some tube lube on the rim is a good thing also.

• Thanks 1

My experience with tubes is if they have a hole the tube comes back out. Slime is the worst puncture seal made in my opinion. Doesn’t work very well and corrodes the rim and is a nasty mess when you have to finally fix the tire. Liquid Tube or tire ject work pretty good on tubeless tires but I don’t think anything will fix a tire with a tube in it other then a patch. 

• Like 3

When I got the Cat skidloader one tire had a slow leak..................I am not a fan of tubeless tires on anything but vehicles that travel on the interstate, so I pulled it off, broke the bead in the tire machine planning on putting in a tube.  The sidewalls are stiff enough on those to hold to the rim even after being broke, so I threw it up on the tire machine and spun the outside bead off.............the bottom was still stuck to the rim, as soon as I lifted the tire, that bead broke loose a I was flooded with slime, not just alittle, GALLONS!  I was covered, it got in the machine, everything around it.  Never had such a mess changing tires like that ever.  I know someones mailbox that should have had a device put in it!  Once I reset my circuit breaker, cleaned up enough to take the tire off, a sheeting staple was the issue, and it was in the tire long enough with the slime to rust, while the part in the rubber was still like new.  Pulled it and put a tube in, no more issues.  

Now if you live in the great state of Pennsylvania and are faced with a rusty rim..........a rusty rim needs protection!  Wrap it with duct tape, carry on!  LOL

I have bought some equipment that had tubes with the slime in them. First time out they went flat. Had to clean that crap up and patch tube. As said make sure rim is clean and  smooth and nothing it tire. Using some tube lube works good. Also When airing up I always air tube up and then let air back out and repump it up this helps gets the wrinkles out. Good luck.

I use slime in atv tires and nothing else. It is impossible to keep tires aired up on my 4 wheeler without the stuff. Hedge thorns and black locust thorns are he!! on my poor tires from riding pastures checking fence.

Take your tire apart and patch the tube. 

1 minute ago, new guy said:

I use slime in atv tires and nothing else. It is impossible to keep tires aired up on my 4 wheeler without the stuff. Hedge thorns and black locust thorns are he!! on my poor tires from riding pastures checking fence.

Take your tire apart and patch the tube. 

What tires do you run? I've run mud lites since I got the kaw in '04, still lots of tread but I finally went tubes last year.

1 minute ago, Dasnake said:

What tires do you run? I've run mud lites since I got the kaw in '04, still lots of tread but I finally went tubes last year.

I would have to look. Whatever came on my Sportman 500...

Seems every spring i have to add a few pumps and take it for a ride then i am good for the season. I dont get carried away. Does that stuff dry up inside the tire?

I had a flat tire on my Kubota lawn mower, no tubes. Put Slime in because I saw it at TSC and thought I would try it. Removed valve core and added the correct amount. Aired up tire. Had a slow leak, drove around a bit. Leak went away! Cool! The next day I mowed grass, tire stayed up, cool! Went to mow more grass the next day, tire flat. Not cool..... Took tire off and fixed it right.  Thats my only experience with the stuff.

• Like 1
Just now, new guy said:

I would have to look. Whatever came on my Sportman 500...

Seems every spring i have to add a few pumps and take it for a ride then i am good for the season. I dont get carried away. Does that stuff dry up inside the tire?

I don't know, but like you the last couple of years they would weep down and with the horror stories I read I decided on the tube route, I gotta say it worked out good, a little hard to find but worth it.

Seeing as we are on a tire repair thread, one thing I used to like was plug patching a leak/hole in a tubeless, a few years ago the plugged tire on my jeep blew up on the hiway, air worked between the cords on the tread and took out the center, still have the two sidewalls hanging in the back tree.

I have good luck with tire selant on tubeless tires In warm weather. Tues and cold weather are questionable but alot of my tires are questionable. Thx-Ace

6 hours ago, acem said:

I have good luck with tire selant on tubeless tires In warm weather. Tues and cold weather are questionable but alot of my tires are questionable. Thx-Ace

I get that, a lot are more questionable then I’d like anyways....

Well I ordered a new tube today 🤬 maybe I could patch that one, but maybe I can’t and it just didn’t seem worth it. Try again 🙄