Mike carpenter

1970 IH school bus

Got a project going lots of questions hoping for some info. Bought a 1970 International Loadstar 1600 School Bus. I sent to historical society in Wisconsin and got some info. I was able to get the 345 running fairly well and enough brakes to drive it home but that’s about it. Looking for info on what brake system it has so I can study enough to at least be able to choose a local shop to help with tires and brakes. 

thanks for any info 

Mike 

4434999A-AC03-4AAC-9627-35762F4316DC.jpeg

A5ACCC19-684C-45AE-8894-33CA3CA8FB74.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks more complicated than farm truck brakes....

So long as it is less complicated than anti-lock air brakes you have a leg-up.

You will need a severe rust inspection prior to being too concerned about the brakes.

binder books just might have manuals for your bus.

My first new pickup was a V345 powered 1200D 4X4, the pickup manual did not have anything bus in it except the engine section covered all variations of the SV engines

Good with your new project.

I know that Cts 2300 covers the Loadstars as well as the light trucks, I think they are available as a reprint, I got an original off eBay years ago.

isnt it just a large hydro vac /std hydraulic......?

only ever needed 3 resealed,much too far for you to ship to city here

1600 and bus items should be on the shelf....but to connect you with those now closed shelves ..../

There were a ton of Loadstar buses but I didn't know they all looked like that under the hood. Maybe you could ask at skoolie.net.

dual brake system more common on bus than cab and chassis (truck) applications   parts are a little more unique I think by 1970 that system had only been out a couple of years.

Hello everyone thank you so much for the info I have come a long way on my project the hydro vac brake system has been serviced and working good or as good as 4 drum brakes can considering disk break conversion however the brakes now work and are safe. I did the normal tune up on the 345 coil wires plugs rebuilt the carb runs great now. 
Couple issues I’m working with now are the detent cable from carb to auto trans is missing ?? Can’t seem to find a part I’m considering making one. 
Next issue parking e brake is mounted just behind auto trans on the drive shaft it has two brake pads inside just like a reg drum brake this assembly is in need of rebuild as parking break very necessary for school bus. I found one for sale on eBay but would rather find the brake pads n hardware and rebuild mine. ill attach pic of what I found on eBay. 
thanks Mike 

9D384FB5-5D0E-4497-9229-C4BE37A0731D.png

• Like 1

My 1979 s1854 has same e brake .....

Should look for a S seried....?

I am sure you guys saw the old IHC Bus removed from Alaska by Helicopter bc it was famous and in dangerous location.  USA

How old a buses do they sell for? Do they have any parts for trucks?

Thank you all for the help I got service manuals and books now brakes are all good now been driving her around a fair bit. Now working on the engine couple little issues. Thanks so much for the info 

I like the lid on the master cylinder!