Packing and shipping

Little bit of a rant but back in February or March when shoups had their sale we ordered plow shares and tedder tines. Came in two big boxes, one with the plow shares ten of them five to two smaller boxes and the other the tedder tines. Tedder tines just had paper lining the box they were okay. The other box was pretty much destroyed there was no packing around the two smaller boxes of plow shares and the one smaller box the plow shares tore out the end and sticking through the bigger box. Ordered front axle parts for the 856 through a smaller mom and pop type dealer who gets aftermarket stuff through a&I. New steering arms and spindles along with wheel bearings. Took longer because the spindles destroyed the box they were in all the nuts and washers were gone and had to be reordered. Noticed this today1825024994_IMG_20200503_1836318992.thumb.jpg.c27930df4ba0b9e6ea0dcca95987890c.jpg

It's going back. This is bullsh*t never had a problem before this with shipping 

• Sad 1

Place I used to work at we shipped B-I-G bolts, up to 1-3/4" diameter and 24 and 36 inches long, shipped lots of 1-1/2" diameter bolts up to 24 inches long,  the shipping guys spun double length coupling nuts on the threads to protect the threads.  EVERYTHING shipped in wire wrapped wooden boxes and were packed so there was no way the stuff would shift in the boxes.  We bought gooseneck trailer-loads of heavy Oak pallet boxes to ship larger steel casting parts.  Yes, all that extra strong boxing cost more than cheap cardboard but we NEVER had a damaged shipment.

I ordered a class 5 reciever hitch for my truck back in 2006 and it shipped Fed-X from Texas, Houston I think. When it was delivered, there it sat on the front porch, the hitch itself, couple bags of bolts, which the customer service guy at the manufacturer said were cheap imported bolts, buy GOOD bolts locally, which I did, and sitting under the bags of bolts was the packing list/invoice. Not a single sign of a cardboard box or a staple or a bit of tape.  Some shippers seem to force the issue by tearing the box up as much as they can.

Yes, I'd call the shipper and make them package your parts better. And file a claim for concealed damage with who ever the carrier was. Trucking companies are probably worse. It's amazing how much stuff one pissed off fork truck driver can tear up in a night. When I worked at the machine tool company we had an order for a couple new ballscrew shafts, precision steel ground and polished precision machined round bars, we had our own carpenter shop make shipping boxes, 20 ft long by 2 ft by 3 ft to hold 2 of these 4 or 5 inch diameter steel bars to and from the nitrider in Ohio from Wisconsin. When we got them back the bars were laying on the filthy semi-trailer floor rolling around. The nitrider shop swears they reused our special box! So either the nitrider or the trucking company lied, but we charged the trucking company and started machining new parts. This time we sent our favorite contract carrier to Ohio with the parts secured on his flatbed, yeah, an 18-wheeler was over-kill but the driver used to work for us and made sure the shipper reused our box and handled them properly.

If these parts shops have no idea how to properly package parts for proper safe shipment they have no business selling the stuff.

• Like 1

I'm out of our shipping dept now and have been for several. Yes it should be packaged properly but alot of it is the way it gets handled. Most companies are lookilooking for the cheapest shipping possible using third party to do it. This means you have no relationship what so ever with these Trucking companies. I have built crates that were stick frames and wrapped in 3/4 plywood. Screwed together. Get pictures and they look like they got drug down the road behind the truck. Another favorite is a do not stack cone on top that's been smashed by something stacked on it. Anything heavy in a box we some had expanding down around it. 

A&I must have some really crappy packers in Rockford ILL, because everything I have ordered out of there has come busted.   I try to order from Rock Valley if I can help it.  We had a warehouse here in town that did a good job, and would pack my stuff up real nice even though I picked it up myself.  A&I in there wisdom decided to move it to Canada.......it's my assigned warehouse but the shipping is more money so I don't use it. 

I have heard horror stories about the UPS hub in Chicago the help intentionally trying to damage boxes of other people's property. Kicking, playing football etc! Pretty infuriating if you ask me! I bet Jerry knows if it's true or not. 

1 minute ago, Injpumped said:

I have heard horror stories about the UPS hub in Chicago the help intentionally trying to damage boxes of other people's property. Kicking, playing football etc! Pretty infuriating if you ask me! I bet Jerry knows if it's true or not. 

No, I would order things like lights, they would throw them on the bottom and then drop a casting on top of it.  Complete stupidity.  Now, they might have played football with the box in transit, but I don't think it made it on the truck off the warehouse shelf before they broke.  When the warehouse was here, they put more packing material in a box I was picking up, than they do there to send it across states in a truck.  Absolutely aggrivating.  

I ship out about 2500 boxes a year, all boxed by myself and good packaging takes time. It can be the drivers as well as the warehouse personnel. A couple years ago I shipped out a new Briggs 16hp Vanguard. Bolted to a plywood base and packed with expanding shipping foam. The wife of the guy who bought the engine happened look out the window and watch in horror as the driver tossed it of the back of the brown truck. Broke the plywood and busted the pan. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Injpumped said:

I order nothing online unless necessary after seeing how the cheaper paid labor force treats the packages in the three different buildings I go thru every night.

• Sad 2

In the old days most people took pride in their work.  My late Father In law spent his lifetime in packing and shipping in the US Navy Supply System where he fabricated custom shipping crates and custom packed expensive electronics and other hardware destined to ships at sea and around the world. His motto was "we treat it like we own it because we do!"   Today it appears that how fast can we get it there is the most important. I do have to admit that I have purchased some odd stuff from McMaster and Carr and have never received a damaged package using UPS Ground from them .   EBAY is the worst of the worst, because everyone is trying to cut corners on FREE shipping that can never be free!!  I ordered a piece of fairly heavy electronics from Taiwan, It would have required a containment box around it to contain all the missing and broken parts. 

having worked at UPS unloading trucks while in college i will say that i saw stuff happening that was not approved practices for handling...

I will also say that this type of stuff happened more at the holidays when we were really grinding to get through the shift with so much volume.  I cant imagine what its like now... have to think volume is HUGE ... like Christmas rush every day for weeks with all the online purchases going on right now.

18 hours ago, Bgriffin856 said:

Little bit of a rant but back in February or March when shoups had their sale we ordered plow shares and tedder tines. Came in two big boxes, one with the plow shares ten of them five to two smaller boxes and the other the tedder tines. Tedder tines just had paper lining the box they were okay. The other box was pretty much destroyed there was no packing around the two smaller boxes of plow shares and the one smaller box the plow shares tore out the end and sticking through the bigger box. Ordered front axle parts for the 856 through a smaller mom and pop type dealer who gets aftermarket stuff through a&I. New steering arms and spindles along with wheel bearings. Took longer because the spindles destroyed the box they were in all the nuts and washers were gone and had to be reordered. Noticed this today1825024994_IMG_20200503_1836318992.thumb.jpg.c27930df4ba0b9e6ea0dcca95987890c.jpg

It's going back. This is bullsh*t never had a problem before this with shipping 

Your not the only one to have a spindle look like that. I got a pair for my 806 last week and one was bent just like yours. I didn't bother getting a different one as I didn't have time to wait. I straightened it out pretty easy.

A&I is good about that stuff to be honest, they replaced or credited me for broken stuff...............It is just annoying when, if better care had been used packing, it wouldn't have been an issue.  I just got a PTO shield from them................ordered it and a outer tie rod end for a deere, came from my favorite warehouse(NOT).  The Tie rod end and the plastic bearing kit for the shield were supposed to be in one box.................Had it on the packing list in the box, checked off.  Opened it, no bearing kit..............PTO shield was nowhere either.  Was Friday too late to call the rep, so I sorta forgot about it..................Forgot about it today too.  Tonight, shield shows up, not in a box, with the ends tapped up.............inside the ends was the bearings?????   Nothing was hurt, but why in the world did the packer check it off if it wasn't in there?????  I got them here while they were in town, they had special boxes to put the PTO shields in??????   

13 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

A&I must have some really crappy packers in Rockford ILL, because everything I have ordered out of there has come busted.   I try to order from Rock Valley if I can help it.  We had a warehouse here in town that did a good job, and would pack my stuff up real nice even though I picked it up myself.  A&I in there wisdom decided to move it to Canada.......it's my assigned warehouse but the shipping is more money so I don't use it. 

Is the warehouse no longer up there? Was nice getting stuff the next day.  

I can tell you with certainty if you call shoup they will make whatever right. I've had good luck with them all around. As for the other box hard to say. I know I've shipped a couple injection pumps and I was terrified. I boxed them things up in a plywood box screwed and glued together with rags and shop towels all around them like they were precious diamonds. 

38 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Is the warehouse no longer up there? Was nice getting stuff the next day.  

Last day of January was it........moved it to Canada, that one is for the northeast now.  Like I mentioned, stupid shipping is more with it so I don't use it.  Made no sense to me at all.  

1 hour ago, Raildudes dad said:

It says "Discount Hydraulic Hose". They save on packaging 🤣

They are my go too firm for hoses and fittings if I can wait......................They give you options for your needs, not the local, "You will take what we have" which I like.