Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not convinced no till actually shows an increase in yield simply because of that but rather the benefit is in the fact that you make less trips across the field therefore less fuel used and less s

I think no till has it’s benefits, but I think tillage does as well. If your soil lends itself to no till then you need to take advantage of it. Personally in our heavy clay soils I still think you ne

We have been no- till since the late 90's.  Rotate corn and soybeans.  Use row cleaners and coulters. Must be patient for it to dry before planting.   We are in the field a week after the neighbors th

Posted Images

7 hours ago, 5288IH said:

Does the corn ever get affected by slugs

Not that I have heard of, at least around here and in a normal no till into dead trash practice.  I have heard say that slugs can be a problem when no till planting into green cover crops.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 5288IH said:

Does the corn ever get affected by slugs

Yes. We have had some isolated issues with slugs in corn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Not that I have heard of, at least around here and in a normal no till into dead trash practice.  I have heard say that slugs can be a problem when no till planting into green cover crops.

?????  Slugs hide out under the trash, when the corn emerges that is the steak supper after dark..............They will clear cut it like a forest if they are bad enough.  The problem multiplies itself every year with the weather and continous no-till, guys here spray Lanate(SP?) at dusk so the slug come out and crawl around in it and it nukes them if everything is right...............but alot of times it isn't and doesn't work.  They got pellets too you can spread and the slugs come out and eat them and it nukes them, but they are super expensive and I haven't heard anyone locally actually trying them, as they are always "Sold Out" when you need them.  We had better than good luck planting into green cover, as the green cover in different stages of growth gives them something to chomp on while the corn is emerging, and then after its up and out you can go in and fry the cover and the corn is fine.  They are a PITA that cost you.  Had a farm where they started chewing next to a lane at the top and chewed down over the hillside like a chemical spill until the corn out grew them.  

It is interesting, even here locally guys said I was full of it and slugs got argued alot, one of the guys finally figured it out and it didn't click with me until he mentioned it.................Ones that have no issues are spreading manure out of pits, rest that have no animals are the ones fighting them.  Another added benefit to manure...............frying slugs.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be a here vs there thing then.  My farm place is right in the middle of a very long term no till field and I haven’t seen slug damage by casual observation nor has the guy farming it complained about them.  Corn/beans rotation and manure application infrequently at best.  Lots of trash on the field.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Continuous no till here and have never heard of a slug doing anything. I did have an outbreak of Armyworms 1 year that ate 6 acres of corn in a couple days. They originated from a pile of dirt,rocks and stumps that had grass and weeds growing on it. Nothi g to do with the notil. I run my cows on the stalks all winter so they reduce some residue and i don't have 200+ corn in more than just a few areas in the field but there are areas that do real well. I dont have any choice but to notill to keep my topsoil.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

?????  Slugs hide out under the trash, when the corn emerges that is the steak supper after dark..............They will clear cut it like a forest if they are bad enough.  The problem multiplies itself every year with the weather and continous no-till, guys here spray Lanate(SP?) at dusk so the slug come out and crawl around in it and it nukes them if everything is right...............but alot of times it isn't and doesn't work.  They got pellets too you can spread and the slugs come out and eat them and it nukes them, but they are super expensive and I haven't heard anyone locally actually trying them, as they are always "Sold Out" when you need them.  We had better than good luck planting into green cover, as the green cover in different stages of growth gives them something to chomp on while the corn is emerging, and then after its up and out you can go in and fry the cover and the corn is fine.  They are a PITA that cost you.  Had a farm where they started chewing next to a lane at the top and chewed down over the hillside like a chemical spill until the corn out grew them.  

It is interesting, even here locally guys said I was full of it and slugs got argued alot, one of the guys finally figured it out and it didn't click with me until he mentioned it.................Ones that have no issues are spreading manure out of pits, rest that have no animals are the ones fighting them.  Another added benefit to manure...............frying slugs.

 

Yes we have never had slug issues where manure was applied, at least not yet, always on ground far from home that does not get manure. Crop rotation has always worked for breaking the cycle for us. Have looked into the sprays and pellets but as you said it is very expensive and from everyone I have talked to do little for control.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Yes we have never had slug issues where manure was applied, at least not yet, always on ground far from home that does not get manure. Crop rotation has always worked for breaking the cycle for us. Have looked into the sprays and pellets but as you said it is very expensive and from everyone I have talked to do little for control.

I wonder how the warmer winters where I am are will impact future slug issues.............It doesn't get cold here by past standards, and this past winter we got almost no snow.  Luckly everything here is pasture now, don't have to worry about those dumb things anymore.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I wonder how the warmer winters where I am are will impact future slug issues.............It doesn't get cold here by past standards, and this past winter we got almost no snow.  Luckly everything here is pasture now, don't have to worry about those dumb things anymore.  

Not sure, will let you know in a month or two. Lol. We had a very mild open winter as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, cobfly said:

I've been renovating pastures, kind of no till, with a Danish Tine in front of a 620 press wheel. A couple inches deep on the tine, just enough to press grass seed in. A complete redo, grass/alfalfa mix gets full tillage on the hay ground. Half inch deep on the seed, one pass on the renovate, preferably in the fall, spring works if I have a little luck with rain

IMG_20200503_163624199_HDR.jpg

I want to see more (and better/closer) pictures of the implement ahead of the 620 drill.  I too have a 620 drill that I would like to set up a no-till toolbar in front of.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have never seen slugs in tilled corn field, I have had them in 2 no-till corn fields and they were both in early to mid 80s. Sprayed at dark with furidan, end of problem. Have seen army worms in more tilled fields than no-till, seems like more damage from them than slugs. maybe cause they eat the field faster ? Seems like the slugs take 3 to 4 days to take a field, but army worms will devour a field in a day. Army worms seem to come out of wheat fields here then move to corn next field over. Have sprayed a barrier on edge of field to nail them. Remember years ago farmers spraying the road and seeing the mashed army worms on the road where they died crossing. Probly not something to do today.  :huh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Have never seen slugs in tilled corn field, I have had them in 2 no-till corn fields and they were both in early to mid 80s. Sprayed at dark with furidan, end of problem. Have seen army worms in more tilled fields than no-till, seems like more damage from them than slugs. maybe cause they eat the field faster ? Seems like the slugs take 3 to 4 days to take a field, but army worms will devour a field in a day. Army worms seem to come out of wheat fields here then move to corn next field over. Have sprayed a barrier on edge of field to nail them. Remember years ago farmers spraying the road and seeing the mashed army worms on the road where they died crossing. Probly not something to do today.  :huh:

We have army worm problems here usually every year in some variation. About 5 years ago had a bad run of them. They will clean a field off very quickly. Did alot of night spraying that week

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 7:23 PM, 1586 Jeff said:

I want to see more (and better/closer) pictures of the implement ahead of the 620 drill.  I too have a 620 drill that I would like to set up a no-till toolbar in front of.

Danish Tine with a heavy drag bar that floats.Looking for an old cultipacker to suspend from the rear, need the rounds, will build the rest myself. Want it detachable and float. Poor man's seed bed maker. What I have has planted a lot of grass/alfalfa, with good results. Just went into a neighbor's field to plant brome, and it had only been disked the fall. Did not harrow first, but cross drilled. Nice stand. I raise the digger on the cross drill. With alfalfa I usually harrow a couple times first, nice and firm.

IMG_20200508_145919860_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200508_145913387_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200508_145905219_HDR.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...