7240 verses a gooseneck hitch

Got called to pull a guy out hauling hay back of truck and tandem trailer both buried. Had it moving when the trailer hitch let go.

20200502_161136.jpg

20200502_160811.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Surprised you didn"t pull something off the front of the RAM!  

A case of irrestible force and immovable object.

I hate it when stuff like that happens.

Dang it man. Planned obsolescence is what we call that here.😳

That truck looks familiar. I'd bet my wallet that's a region welding bed made here in union mo. Sure looks like it. They are heavy. Friend of mine has the brother to it. 

I be scared to do that.I am careful when hooking up stuck stuff.I seen people throw a chain around weight bracket,front end ect.Then wonder why they rip the front end off or pull the tractor in two.There is a only few bolts holding most together.I always run a chain under and hook to drawbar if pulling from front.I probably see if I could have unloaded those round bales first.If not be safer just to push them off and come back for them. Sometimes it's cheaper in the long run.

15 hours ago, axial_al said:

Surprised you didn"t pull something off the front of the RAM!  

A case of irrestible force and immovable object.

I hate it when stuff like that happens.

Most RAMS have forged tow hooks bolted to the frame rails sticking out the front bumper.  Mine has them and it doesn't even have a locker rear axle or all terrain tires.

This happened to my GN trailer.  I was parked on the street and about midnight this young guy came ripping down the street.  He hit my GN flatbed in the rear at about 60 mph and that pushed the trailer into the back of my truck, breaking off the GN.  The trailer hit my back window and bent the back window sheet metal, broke the glass and ruined the bed. The damage to the truck was $10k.  The Trailer was hit in the L rear and the car disintegrated (Mazda 626) which ended up under the trailer bending the rear 10k axle.  The damage to the trailer was $10K +so I had a loss of $20k  His insurance was only good for $10k from AAA.  I lost use of the trailer for 2 months for repairs as they had to order a new axle.  Not a fun time.20170310_085202a.jpg.6783fa79682417af179649dd60f9d720.jpg

20170310_084231_HDRa.jpg

20170310_084206a.jpg

20170310_084247a.jpg

20170310_084302a.jpg

20170310_090839a.jpg

20170310_163059a.jpg

• Sad 2
8 minutes ago, bigequip said:

This happened to my GN trailer.  I was parked on the street and about midnight this young guy came ripping down the street.  He hit my GN flatbed in the rear at about 60 mph and that pushed the trailer into the back of my truck, breaking off the GN.  The trailer hit my back window and bent the back window sheet metal, broke the glass and ruined the bed. The damage to the truck was $10k.  The Trailer was hit in the L rear and the car disintegrated (Mazda 626) which ended up under the trailer bending the rear 10k axle.  The damage to the trailer was $10K +so I had a loss of $20k  His insurance was only good for $10k from AAA.  I lost use of the trailer for 2 months for repairs as they had to order a new axle.  Not a fun time.

How do the insurance companies get away with that. Have heard other people with the same thing. When I go pay for the high @$$ stuff I expect for it to pay out if needed. I have to have at least minimum coverage to get license. That should pay to replace the damage to someone else's property if I hit them. Not just part of it. 

The driver had SR-22 Insurance and they only insure the vehicle for $10k maximum per claim.   Nothing I could do but take the $10k.

2 hours ago, bigequip said:

The driver had SR-22 Insurance and they only insure the vehicle for $10k maximum per claim.   Nothing I could do but take the $10k.

I really like your truck, it looks well cared for.  I had a '97 and now a '99.  I wish I could buy the '97 new again today.  Hope you got yours fixed up good.

Edited by MCC
spelling
6 hours ago, bigequip said:

That should be against the law! Are you sure you couldnt of took him to court? I'm normally not the one to jump on that wagon but you should of been compensated better. 

3 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

That should be against the law! Are you sure you couldnt of took him to court? I'm normally not the one to jump on that wagon but you should of been compensated better. 

I would guess that the driver had the state minimum insurance, and if they did you would never collect on a settlement.  SR-22, min insurance, hitting a parked car, and more.  Sure sounds like real winner, in fact sounds just like my Brother in law

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

That should be against the law! Are you sure you couldn't of took him to court? I'm normally not the one to jump on that wagon but you should of been compensated better. 

That is the law with SR-22 insurance.  He was a high risk and his insurance policy was issued by the state (they assign the policy to an insurance co for coverage).  I think every state has SR--22 insurance.  I was going to sue him but I was advised that I would not get anything then.  I had to sign a form that stated I would not sue him to get the $10k check.

New Hampshire is the only state in the union that doesn't require auto insurance thus we all, or at least those of us with any sense, carry uninsured/under insured motorist coverage. It's not too expensive - even less so, if I remember correctly, in states that have compulsory coverage.

Several years back I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear when a woman slammed into my rear bumper. When I asked her if she was Ok she responded "I don't have insurance". I said "OK, but are you alright?"

Anyway she was Ok but her POS car was a total; I needed a new bumper. My Insurance paid me and subrogated against her. She had no money so probably lost her ability to register a car until she paid up.

Moral: Check price for uninsured/ under insured. Be way cheaper than paying above 10k loss when a nice truck and trailer like these are involved.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:33 PM, bigequip said:

Well, you could sue him for the difference and likely win easy, but good luck getting it paid out.

7 hours ago, New Englander said:

New Hampshire is the only state in the union that doesn't require auto insurance thus we all, or at least those of us with any sense, carry uninsured/under insured motorist coverage. It's not too expensive - even less so, if I remember correctly, in states that have compulsory coverage.

Several years back I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear when a woman slammed into my rear bumper. When I asked her if she was Ok she responded "I don't have insurance". I said "OK, but are you alright?"

Anyway she was Ok but her POS car was a total; I needed a new bumper. My Insurance paid me and subrogated against her. She had no money so probably lost her ability to register a car until she paid up.

Moral: Check price for uninsured/ under insured. Be way cheaper than paying above 10k loss when a nice truck and trailer like these are involved.

I think that if it’s a no fault state your own insurance company pays up and gets to go after the other party.  Or am I mixed up?

2 hours ago, Finney said:

That's what keeps people like me busy.

20200502_160811.jpg

And it keeps the bills paid.  Gotta love and thank them