Equipment trailer floors

cwinn

Anybody ever use Larch or Hemlock on their trailer floors? I know all lowbed use white oak. But it's hard to come by here ,and the  place that cuts it takes forever.  Wanna do my gooseneck trailer. It's a Keifer built with lots of cross members. 

well, knowing nothing else, I am going to use the reasoning that tamarack has a superior or at east equivalent BTU output to soft maple, suggesting to me it is made up of something more substantial than your average conifer. but thats just a theory, personally I always figured if I found some really big black locust it would be worth having sawn Into deck boards. 

19 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

well, knowing nothing else, I am going to use the reasoning that tamarack has a superior or at east equivalent BTU output to soft maple, suggesting to me it is made up of something more substantial than your average conifer. but thats just a theory, personally I always figured if I found some really big black locust it would be worth having sawn Into deck boards. 

Too hard of lumber doesn’t work either. No traction. Know a guy who used Hedge for his trailer floor. Was terrible slick. 

Used hemlock a while ago on a trailer, works ok if you keep it soaked in oil. I did that for a few years and then parked it. It’s pretty rotten now, probably been sitting 10 years so it doesn’t last very well if you don’t treat it with something. 

• Like 2

Only did it once, but just used common treated 2x6 from menards. will probly use it again in a couple years. The previose time got 10 yrs out of it and was still ok when I sold the trailer

This topic always comes up frequently. Flatbed semi-trailers generally use APITONG wood for their decks. Yes, it's expensive, but probably nothing more ignorred than a flatbed semi-trailer from any kind of maintenance, and they last for years, even decades.  Anybody ever re-floored a trailer with it and if so how did it hold up?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

This topic always comes up frequently. Flatbed semi-trailers generally use APITONG wood for their decks. Yes, it's expensive, but probably nothing more ignorred than a flatbed semi-trailer from any kind of maintenance, and they last for years, even decades.  Anybody ever re-floored a trailer with it and if so how did it hold up?

Thats what that stuff is called! Yup It will be expensive like almost 10$ a LF. It should last you the rest of your life! This stuff is HARD and HEAVY, like a 10' board would weigh 100LBS. I helped re-deck a lowboy trailer once and that's what they used. Did I say it was hard? You will see sparks off a circular saw blade  cutting it!  I would not use Hemlock, it is not the strongest stuff. Southern yellow pine or Douglas fir for less expensive alternatives.

https://www.trailerdecking.com/Apitong-2x12-Full-Sawn-Rough-Heavy-Duty-Deck-Boards-3813?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyJ7L0oqT6QIVE4nICh1R1QayEAQYAyABEgKRyPD_BwE

We had rough cut 2" hemlock on hay wagons for 20 years.  Never treated, but kept inside in the winter.  Brushed once a year with 30w, I think it would last a really long time.  The rough cut holds the oil, and keeps it from being too slippery to walk on.  I have  used it in feeder wagons and small farm trailers.  It was very cost effective and worked for me.  Id put 2" hemlock above the crappy grade pressure treated that's available these days

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Ive got a triple axle detach lowboy that I wanted to redo a year ago but couldn't find 2"x12" apitong , all i could find was 1.5 x 8 at that time!

Local equipment dealer did his and claimed (I believe him, he's not a clown) that if you get a green board splinter its like a poisonous snake bite!

Comes out of rain forest timber in Brazil. 

Have stock trailer with apitong put in about 95,still real good. The only care is getting shoveled once a year. The pine the Okies used when new lasted 15 years or so until it needed patching.My brother in law was in the lumber business and gave it to dad. Dad fussed and fumed,? it was to heavy and I don't remember what all. So it sat a year or 2,the old floor only got worse. That no good wood had dried a lot did not weight near as much. BIL and I put it in all was good.

Don't have as many cows don't use it as much. But trailer sits outside all the time,full top so not soaked but not dry ether. Good stuff but no idea what price would be. 

Tamarack is really good for decking. It grows like a conifer but is very hard, strong, heavy and lasts for a long time.

DWF

On 5/1/2020 at 9:25 PM, stronger800 said:

We had rough cut 2" hemlock on hay wagons for 20 years.  Never treated, but kept inside in the winter.  Brushed once a year with 30w, I think it would last a really long time.  The rough cut holds the oil, and keeps it from being too slippery to walk on.  I have  used it in feeder wagons and small farm trailers.  It was very cost effective and worked for me.  Id put 2" hemlock above the crappy grade pressure treated that's available these days

Kinda what ive seen and heard from guys here .Lots of Amish mills here prolly try it then oil it up