Anything worth saving?

Sledgehammer

We have this manure spreader from the 1960’s sitting with a broken apron chain. Family purchased it new. Not being worth the cost of a new chain it was recently replaced. Do people anywhere still need parts for something like this?  I figure it’s too antiquated for anyone to need much off of it?  Cut the tongue off and fill with scrap? It was stored inside. Ideas?

0AB93CAC-A1E4-4346-9F66-3491351862F9.jpeg

I know it's only one picture but it looks like it's in really good shape for a manure spreader of 1960s vintage. I would put it on Craigslist, maybe somebody with a small hobby farm is looking for one.

• Like 3

Wish you were closer, I would like to find a small one like that.  Would be nice having two, even if the one is little to keep loading waiting on the bigger one.  They bring blood around me.  That one looks like it would clean up very nice.

• Like 1

I did see one with a V8 in it once and bench seats....

New chain was over $1K. This one is broken in multiple places. 

I think places like shoup have new chains reasonable

Yea someone may be interested if it’s put up for sale. For me when I got my IH spreader all I had to do was haul it away and it was mine... realize this there wasn’t anything wrong with it that I could see before operating it. We greased it up oiled the chains and it spread it’s first load just like it would have in the late 50’s after being bought at a local IH dealer☺️

But for you and needing to replace the apron for many $$$$$ I guess it’s really up to you unless you find another apron for less. It does appear to be a nice spreader. I sure wouldn’t give mine away. 

Probably a gear box or other parts someone has been looking for

Problem is getting you two together.

Would hate to just scrap it.

It may be worth more than you think

7 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

What type of apron chain is in it?

I don’t have any pictures of it. It is an old style that links together about like a gathering chain from a combine. I found a new chain for it but Dad thought it was pretty high considering. I think the chain was around $1200 but that’s been a few months ago.
We did some looking and Dad ended up finding a used one locally after looking for 5-6 months. It’s a New Holland that was sold new from a local dealer and is in really good shape. I fixed the jack where the previous owner drove off with it down and it’s dusty but that’s about it. 

ED2174A9-7D01-479D-BA90-933B6B80B768.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

New Holland that was sold new from a local dealer and is in really good shape

Looks to be in good shape with decent tires. Good luck with it.

8 hours ago, MarkG said:

Take out the apparatus on the back. Clean and paint. Perfect hay ride trailer.

I had an old JD spreader with a  totally rotted out box but beautiful wheels and tires, so I used parts of the running gear for a kid's hay ride wagon. Kids grew up so I sold it to a farm stand guy who wanted to use it to display and sell pumpkins. Yeah, I know wrong color but it was JD to begin with and I pulled it with a pretty JD B.

JD Hay Ride.JPG

JD Hay Ride 2.JPG

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

We have this manure spreader from the 1960’s sitting with a broken apron chain. Family purchased it new. Not being worth the cost of a new chain it was recently replaced. Do people anywhere still need parts for something like this?  I figure it’s too antiquated for anyone to need much off of it?  Cut the tongue off and fill with scrap? It was stored inside. Ideas?

0AB93CAC-A1E4-4346-9F66-3491351862F9.jpeg

Maybe JonF on Yesterdays mag would like it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I don’t have any pictures of it. It is an old style that links together about like a gathering chain from a combine. I found a new chain for it but Dad thought it was pretty high considering. I think the chain was around $1200 but that’s been a few months ago.

Wished they wouldn't have cancelled my buddies training in Ill..................I would have a check in the mail, it sounds like the same chain my old Shultz has, shoup has the pieces.

there is a semi-retired OTR truck driver in Mn that is outfitting his farm with vintage Case machinery, and doing a nice job of it. look for JonF on yesterday's tractors. probably other people interested in a machine that decent for the age, too. 

when I needed to replace the bed chain in a New Idea spreader (when I was starting out and had little money), I bought rolls of #67H (iirc) detachable link chain and attachment links, and ground the rivets off the slats, and reassembled everything. Voila! new chain for a fraction of the cost!

small spreaders that size are in high demand from horse people around here.

• Like 1

Floor is good and original wood sides are all there like you can see in the picture. I know some of the cogs are NLA but it all works except the chain. I have never been on Yesterdays Tractors really.  I just thought I would throw it out there.  Actually thought if someone had anything like it and needed parts it would be good but it would be cheap if someone came to take it away. 

I signed up for YT but so far haven’t had luck being able to send a PM. I know some forums require so many posts before you can send a message?  I’ve never been a fan of the format over there personally so I never bothered joining.  It doesn’t lend itself to phone usage.

I wouldnt scrap it. 1200 sounds a bit high for the chain. Ought to be able to find some cheaper than that. I have one nearly like it i bought to fix up. I have chain i bought at a farm store close out iirc for a couple hundred bucks. Need to rivet slats in and put new floor in it. Fixed up i think it would bring 700 to 1000 maybe around here. I bought a jd ground driven last summer in need of repair which i had some parts from another i parted yeard ago. Got it fixed up and sold it for 700 iirc.

The case i have had some missing or broken parts around the apron speed lever....a spring and a latch of some kind to hook in diff notches for lever are missing/ broken.

21 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I signed up for YT but so far haven’t had luck being able to send a PM. I know some forums require so many posts before you can send a message?  I’ve never been a fan of the format over there personally so I never bothered joining.  It doesn’t lend itself to phone usage.

I sent Jon a message with the link.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

I sent Jon a message with the link.

Thanks Bill. I tried to send a PM and forum rules got in the way. The guy can e-mail or call me for all I care. 

sledgehammer83@hotmail.com