• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m going to abstain from the voting but I did do a test fit and it looks like it should work. That was about 8 AM In the morning so no I did not remove the cap. Seriously though, it is mild steel all

Guess it's time to name the winner.  A short crew of 20 (because of the covid thing) drug to the fire, and worked just over 900 calves in 7 1/2 hours. Danielle and me cut 520 bull calves.

That means there is still time to guess. The winner just has to provide: Name Address Social Security Number  bank account number A signed blank check (for shipping and handli

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Well?

Guess it's time to name the winner. 

A short crew of 20 (because of the covid thing) drug to the fire, and worked just over 900 calves in 7 1/2 hours.

Danielle and me cut 520 bull calves.

I double checked the entries (didn't want to pull a Steve Harvey😅)

So the winner of first and maybe only annual nutz in a bucket contest is 

drum roll please...................................................................

👏🏆🥇💥🎉🌟🌔

On 4/30/2020 at 2:28 PM, Triple R said:

Triple R sir, if you will PM me your address, I will get your very cool bottle opener, hand forged by our own Sledgehammer on it's way to you.

Thank you to everyone for playing along

And a special thank you Todd, really appreciate you stepping up and providing the bottle opener for a prize. 

Ya'll have a safe night😃

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

All I have to say is datz nutz

;)

• Haha 4

Still holding on to mine.😁

• Haha 1

I missed that by a mile! Weight of calves at time of vaccination would have a big effect on how full the bucket was.

• Like 1

Holy Balls! Thats a lot of marbles to lose.

• Like 1

I assume that must have been one of Moursund’s ranchs? Don’t think Shawn and Danno have that many. Don’t remember seeing you at Simons. Might be Skinny?

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

Still holding on to mine.😁

You can let 'em down now, put my knives away for the year😁

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I missed that by a mile! Weight of calves at time of vaccination would have a big effect on how full the bucket was.

Big difference, that's why I said March and April born, sorta narrowed it ddown a bit. 😃

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

I assume that must have been one of Moursund’s ranchs? Don’t think Shawn and Danno have that many. Don’t remember seeing you at Simons. Might be Skinny?

They border the Horse Ranch🤔              

• Thanks 1

I don't care how small, that's a lot calves in 7.5 hours. That is where the Vaquero in my background comes out, by association not blood.  But there is always manana. This country just is not that big. The BTO that have cattle spread a 100 miles mostly don't have that many calves.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ray54 said:

I don't care how small, that's a lot calves in 7.5 hours. That is where the Vaquero in my background comes out, by association not blood.  But there is always manana. This country just is not that big. The BTO that have cattle spread a 100 miles mostly don't have that many calves.

Normal year, full crew of 40 to 50 people, takes about 4 1/2 hours. Running two stoves, 4 or 5 ropers. May be 10 calves on the ground at once. Usually 4 of us cutting.

Ray, when you figure carrying capacity of a ranch in your area, how many acres on average do you alot a cow.

Here, roughly 15 to 20 acres depending on how it is balanced with hay ground. Have some very high producing low, wet meadow's that will up carrying capacity.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Normal year, full crew of 40 to 50 people, takes about 4 1/2 hours. Running two stoves, 4 or 5 ropers. May be 10 calves on the ground at once. Usually 4 of us cutting.

Ray, when you figure carrying capacity of a ranch in your area, how many acres on average do you alot a cow.

Here, roughly 15 to 20 acres depending on how it is balanced with hay ground. Have some very high producing low, wet meadow's that will up carrying capacity.

….that is some operation.....( a little play on words …)…..had no idea that you would have such a big crew  !!..I was in awe of the amount  of "testicles "  in that bucket,,,,...in that time frame......but I can understand with that sized crew...it is a regular production line.....:)

..perhaps , sandhiller, next year...a few pictures..please !!

Mike

• Like 1

Interesting part of that area is there’s guys who run 2000 head and guys that have 100 head and they all work together (for the most part)   
The ladies always have a feast fit for royalty. 
I am not sure how many cows are in Cherry county but there’s a bunch. The first year I was back in the area, I went to 27 brandings. The last year I went to 5. 

• Like 1
On 5/9/2020 at 10:30 PM, sandhiller said:

Danielle and me cut 520 bull calves.

520? Geez, that's a lot of work! I missed that by a mile. Thanks for the contest though, it was a lot of fun. I sure hope y'all didn't let them go to waste!

Mac

• Like 1

The acres  per cow varies greatly from 10 to 40 acres depending how much is brush covered. Several 7000 acre ranches close and there in the 200 cows with some replacements. Real hard to bring bred heifers or cows in with annaplasmosis and foothill abortion. Not like it was 30 or 40 years ago with neighbors helping neighbors.

Most ranches don't make much hay,and hope to not feed much as we get no snow. From first fall rain of a 1/4 inch or more our dry grass loses nutrition really fast. If we are to far into winter and the ground gets cold then we need to feed at least good protein supplements or hay depending how much old dry grass we have left. Even without snow grass doesn't do much when it get down to freezing every night even if it's up to 60 at mid day 😉 still no much night.But I like making hay so I grow a bit more than I need most years.

I knew with the age of your calves it was going to take more than 300 to fill that bucket. But your moving much faster than I was figuring,for of you to cut 500+ bulls.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ray54 said:

But your moving much faster than I was figuring,for of you to cut 500+ bulls.  

The cords were good, not too tough or weak. Pulled good and even.

Wasn't any that didn't drop without some mild manipulation. Didn't have to do surgery and cut any out of belly.

The knee I get down on is bad and hurts the whole time I'm down so it is a balance of doing it right and as quick as I can.

Good ropers, brand, two shots and cut, no dehorning horn buds, doesn't take very long when everyone keeps their feet moving.

With half a crew, Owner was prepared for not getting everything done and that would have been a bad deal. Made us all work harder to make sure we got them all done.

He was very happy!

Cords not tough or week, drop without manipulation, belly surgery. I am going to stop reading this thread.😯

3 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

Cords not tough or week, drop without manipulation, belly surgery. I am going to stop reading this thread.😯

My apologies, sometimes I forget what is common dinner table talk here may be considered a tad bit unusual in other parts of the country. 😄

When I sit at the table it is usually the wife. Just don't want her to get any ideas.

• Haha 2