Rbertalotto

Mounting new gauges in panel ... IH 782

While all the body panels are drying.....Gave them two coats of IH Red from Tractor Supply.....

?hash=df9c41e85a834b3edec5ef6e058d71e2

I decided to start mounting the 2" gauges I bought from Summit Racing....https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bgs-fst-8208  ....$39

I fabricated a new sub panel out of ABS textured plastic to mount all three....This sub panel wasn't needed until I was cutting the center hole in the drill press and the hole saw's pilot jumped  damaged the panel....UGH!!!!   I spoke some nasty words!

Not sure how I'm going to use the TEMPERATURE gauge. Not sure how the pickup works. Any suggestions would be appreciated......

Exhaust temp?   Oil Temp?  Just strap it somewhere on the engine for general operating temperature?

Getting close to be done!

• Like 2

I just checked the temperature gauge. It is a simple mechanical temperature probe. I put my heatgun on it and it registered fine. I think I'm just going to mount it on one of the heads of the engine.

782's originally had the KT-17 Kohler, air cooled,  typically cylinder head temp is measured on air cooled engines, but a 250 degree guage is too low of temp range,  you would normally see temps over 300 to 350 degrees F.  250 would be fine for oil temp, since your plumbing for oil PSI plumbing for temp should be do-able.

A garden tractor forum I no longer visit, it was Officially felt that air cooled engines HAD to run at full RPM anytime they were running or they would over-heat,  I was going to fully instrument the Kohler K321 I put in my one gear drive Cub Cadet, oil temp, cyl head temp, EGT, & RPM just to prove that air cooled engine operating temp is more load dependent then RPM dependent.  Finding gauges small enough to fit in the room available but still easily legible proved almost impossible.

3 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

782's originally had the KT-17 Kohler, air cooled,  typically cylinder head temp is measured on air cooled engines, but a 250 degree guage is too low of temp range,  you would normally see temps over 300 to 350 degrees F.  250 would be fine for oil temp, since your plumbing for oil PSI plumbing for temp should be do-able.

A garden tractor forum I no longer visit, it was Officially felt that air cooled engines HAD to run at full RPM anytime they were running or they would over-heat,  I was going to fully instrument the Kohler K321 I put in my one gear drive Cub Cadet, oil temp, cyl head temp, EGT, & RPM just to prove that air cooled engine operating temp is more load dependent then RPM dependent.  Finding gauges small enough to fit in the room available but still easily legible proved almost impossible.

Load dependent for sure......dont lug them at low rpms.....if its loaded up, give it the rpms to match.

Completely agree Denny!

I'd like to see the detail on how you route and plumb your oil pressure line.

I'm going to make an adapter for the oil drain and read the actual temperature of the oil.....Stay tuned!

Its a reat TANK.....Amazing power from 17HP Kohler engine. I welded up that hitch receiver in the pictures a few days ago. I deleted all wiring and built a complete wiring harness. No ignition switch...Flip on the toggle next to the start button to energize the coil, then hit the START button....The other switches are Lights, Regulator and Gauges.....Now on to the engine swap for the John Deere!