Sign in to follow this  
pt756

question 1066 cab

hello there, there seems to be a problem with our 1066 cab electrical lately, when you turn the radio and fan on along with the air conditioning the radio will cut out once in a while, has never happened before ,could  the solenoid by the battery be getting weak?

Mine had/has a similar problem. After reading the various threads I'm checking the ground if I ever find it!

Ground is on right side of tractor. Short wire. Grounds cab to transmission housing. Pretty easy to unbolt the top access cover and see if something isn't just loose or worn through.  Not many wires in them. 

• Like 1

If the ground isn’t hooked up it will also effect the lights I believe.  If it’s the cab load solenoid it will only effect the things in the cab.  That solenoid is behind the rh battery.

You can -temporarily- bypass the solenoid by taking the wire off of one of the terminals and nutting it onto the top of the other one. Just know everything up in the cab is now powered up at all times, so, you need to make sure the fan, radio, wiper are all turned Off when you exit the cab.  This would tell you if the solenoid was this issue or not. 

The lights have their own individual ground wires, I don’t think a bad cab ground wire would effect them.

im guessing ground too - not a good enough ground to support all items of the applied load but enough of a ground to support a rusty/partial ground BT Had That 😉

I'm not very electrically inclined but have learned over the years that a bad ground will make things do all kind of weird stuff. Trailer lights jump right to mind. 

where is the ground usually located? thanks

Front corner of the cab. I believe I said the right (shifting levers) side. Roll back the floor mat. Lift out the battery covers. And look in the forward corners area. From the top and from kneeling down looking up. Maybe it’s on the left side, one or the other,  in the vicinity of the cab mount, because the cab is mounted on that rubber doughnut and this wire goes  between the cab frame/floor and the heavy iron mounting bracket on the tractor so that the cab is grounded

We have four of those style cabs but I have extra accessories mounted and some of them I have grounded on each side, so I can’t picture clearly exactly where the original ground  start is but I’m pretty sure it’s over on the right side and is just behind the field light, if you still have the field lights mounted on the cab corners

It took until late June but I finally got time to check this out on my 1066. Pulled the battery out. Checked/cleaned every wire/contact point, some were pretty bad. Put everything back together, battery cable sparked when I put it back on. The sparking was caused by lights that I believe some previous owner added. Had them working when I got the thing home, at some point they quit. Apparently the switch was in the 'on' position. Well, the lights all work, cool. Sadly the radio/fan didn't. Someone, (in a different thread I can't seem to find) provided an AI part no. Remembering that my local AGCO dealer that I drive within 1/2 mile of 5 days a week sells AI stuff, I had Reed order my one up. That fixed the problem.

The ole 10 is coming right along. Still need to work on that range shifter though.

well hello, the 1066 cab seems to be still working good lately, wasn't sure if it was the solenoid or the ground being cleaned up, should of did each one separately, to of made sure, but we have replaced the solenoid other times on this tractor,  only about 12 k hours and now out on the 1431 discbine , as I said before thanks for the replies.i always appreciate the help.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:20 AM, pt756 said:

hello there, there seems to be a problem with our 1066 cab electrical lately, when you turn the radio and fan on along with the air conditioning the radio will cut out once in a while, has never happened before ,could  the solenoid by the battery be getting weak?

By the solenoid are 2 circuit breakers. Also the wires plug together in that area and the main power wire can corrode in the connector.