IH 986 Turbo: has touchy steering AND brakes at low revs

Hey, I have a international 986 with a turbo in it, We've recently just brought it to stick a scarifier behind it on the 3pl, When we brought it had been sitting outside for who knows how long with no front windscreen and no left side window so she is a bit rough, we have ordered a new windscreen and window for it. Everything except the TA works currently, The TA lever inside the cab is stuck but the cable isn't connected to the lever, I believe its just the spring inside the dash but we haven't had time to pull the dash apart right now. The main problem is that at low revs she just doesn't want to turn very well, the brakes don't want to work and the clutch is very stiff until you put it at just above mid revs (cant tell u what rpm because tach doesn't work), There's a little bit of steering in her until she just stiffens up and you cant steer her very easily you have to basically put all of your force into the steering wheel. Now the brakes do work just not very well sometimes, now I haven't tested this fully but it seems just at idle they don't push back all the way until you rev it up a little bit. Now I've read a lot about the mcv pump and there is more than 20 things to do to fix it. We're in the middle of planting right now so we don't have time to pull everything out for a little while but I thought I'd get this post up here to get as much help as possible while we cant do much. We have gone ahead and asked for a good 2nd hand MCV pump as new ones are out of the budget at the moment.

Here comes the big problem according to the operators manual the transmission light should not stay on, ours does and I believe this may be an issue.

I was also just wondering what kind of horses does the 986 push out with a turbo on it, I've been told the 986 turbo's are basically 1586's but I don't know how true that is.

I will also post pictures when it is not muddy as I can't currently get to the tractor without getting bogged (got to love when it decides to just hit you with 80mm out of no where)

If you need any more information to help me please just ask and I will get back to you as quick as possible. Thanks Jack.

Bleed the brakes, possibly crack a steering supply line. I doubt you have air in the system, depending on how long you've been running it. But, the MCV would be a good cause for your issues. I believe the clutch could be a booster issue. The booster is supplied from the MCV. 

Priming by pulling a plug is for the older tractors 706-1566 without the mcv supercharge. Most likely your mcv pump is weak but it can be diagnosed with tests.

II understand some of the 986s down under were built there and are a little different than ours here in the states. The us version came with a naturally asperated 436. I think the aussi built came with a turbocharged 358.

Please post pics!

Thx-Ace

What is your red light doing .  It should come on when turning ignition on without starting the tractor.  Then it should only come on every time you depress the clutch pedal as it is dumping oil to TA at that time to allow shifting gears.  

That red light tells you a lot. 

You are losing pressure and flow from the mcv pump at low speed and most likely worn out pump but could be high pressure leak in mcv.   Quick no gauge test is to run at low speed, turn and hold steering in either direction.  Have TA lever ahead and if red light comes on and tractor down shift to ta (low side) you have verified poor pump or high pressure leak.  I

If tractor stops moving when you hold that steering wheel  hard against stop that also shows you TA low side is shot. 

1 minute ago, acem said:

Priming by pulling a plug is for the older tractors 706-1566 without the mcv supercharge. Most likely your mcv pump is weak but it can be diagnosed with tests.

II understand some of the 986s down under were built there and are a little different than ours here in the states. The us version came with a naturally asperated 436. I think the aussi built came with a turbocharged 358.

Please post pics!

Thx-Ace

The parts came from America but yeah they were built here

1 minute ago, pete23 said:

What is your red light doing .  It should come on when turning ignition on without starting the tractor.  Then it should only come on every time you depress the clutch pedal as it is dumping oil to TA at that time to allow shifting gears.  

That red light tells you a lot. 

You are losing pressure and flow from the mcv pump at low speed and most likely worn out pump but could be high pressure leak in mcv.   Quick no gauge test is to run at low speed, turn and hold steering in either direction.  Have TA lever ahead and if red light comes on and tractor down shift to ta (low side) you have verified poor pump or high pressure leak.  I

If tractor stops moving when you hold that steering wheel  hard against stop that also shows you TA low side is shot. 

Oh that's right I completely forgot about that light, yeah it stays on 24/7 and doesn't turn off. that's mainly why I was posting on here and I completely forgot to mention it.
At the moment the TA is stuck, what I mean is the lever inside the cab is stuck but the cable isn't connected to the lever anyways. so that may be a problem I believe the lever is just that spring that is inside the dash. so that might make the test a little bit hard to do at the moment. 

18 minutes ago, Jacz said:

Oh that's right I completely forgot about that light, yeah it stays on 24/7 and doesn't turn off. that's mainly why I was posting on here and I completely forgot to mention it.
At the moment the TA is stuck, what I mean is the lever inside the cab is stuck but the cable isn't connected to the lever anyways. so that may be a problem I believe the lever is just that spring that is inside the dash. so that might make the test a little bit hard to do at the moment. 

Kind of blows that part of the test.  But , on the ta , made darn sure the control spool it either all the way down against the snap ring or pulled all the way up.  In between will cause you more problems.     

Running with light on (if it is truly telling you no lube pressure) will contribute to excess wear in a hurry. 

Change the hyd filter first ........................ plugged filter will do what you are saying   

• Like 1
On 5/1/2020 at 12:15 PM, Killer Red Mater said:

Change the hyd filter first ........................ plugged filter will do what you are saying   

Yeah that's the plan right now, hyd filters don't seem that expensive just found one for $35 AUD with o rings and gasket