The awesome picture thread

lorenzo

This picture is of my two GreatGreatUncles John Lane and Frank Lane is of their backwood moonshine still and John is front and center with the nickel plated Colts and Frank is to his right with the double barrell hicked up on his thigh and this batch was sold legally with contrat to the Yankee Army but all others were Id say not so legal.  The colored man was Roosevelt who worked with em his whole life and the picture is from the early 1890s and their sister Martha was my GreatGranny and also Uncle John is supposedly wearing original Levi Strauss britches and this my Awesome Picture and these ole boys are original an real backwood Kentucky Hillbillies

10863945_922880474391156_7093445919321279404_o.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

60 seconds earlier ...and this would have qualified for an awesome picture.....I talked to the blokes later in the day, talked to the ''hanging man''...he is lowered onto the transmission line where the lines have a joiner in them ...and with another piece of ''White Mans Magic''  actually checks the condition of the splice and the joiner  per   se..... He actually sits on the line   for those few minutes of testing ...then swung off to another join...many yards way down to the next join..  Takes them weeks to do the lines....

I shook hands with the ''hanging man''...and politely enquired as to the size of his testicles....He didn't seem to fazed but he said if windy   conditions prevailed , the ''pucker ''  factor was in the red zone.....

Mike

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

• Like 12

'Comedy  '  wildlife  photo competition....

1    Australia     ''Guitar playing   Kangaroo ''   Winner

2   Poland        "'Directions "                 Junior winner

3    America     "'To young to be smoking "  Highly commended

,,,some fantastic pictures submitted ...

?   New Zealand    didn't make the cut .....

Mike

1700775354831 kangaroo.jpg

1700775354831   bird directions.jpg

1700775354831 smoking coyote.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

On 11/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, mike newman said:

Mike

#2 looks like the Mrs has found hubby out with another shiela 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

...interesting ...but far from ''awesome ' picture.......:unsure:

...."'Gandalf  '', (complete with 'staff  '),  .. evidently , picked up my  Daughter , with the Green Energy, up the Rainbow Station Road.....

...that's what she said , anyway...as the picture is splashed all over the ''face book '' thing...

The reality is otherwise.....as I was so knackered after shoveling out  several tons of gravel from the JD's  bucket....into the innumerable ''pot holes ''.....I was sitting on the back of the bucket....and  the day was hot...thus the old Stetson  was deployed to protect the perished follicle's.......

Mike

IMG20231201155538.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

...interesting ...but far from ''awesome ' picture.......:unsure:

...."'Gandalf  '', (complete with 'staff  '),  .. evidently , picked up my  Daughter , with the Green Energy, up the Rainbow Station Road.....

...that's what she said , anyway...as the picture is splashed all over the ''face book '' thing...

The reality is otherwise.....as I was so knackered after shoveling out  several tons of gravel from the JD's  bucket....into the innumerable ''pot holes ''.....I was sitting on the back of the bucket....and  the day was hot...thus the old Stetson  was deployed to protect the perished follicle's.......

Mike

IMG20231201155538.jpg

Notable achievements of M. Newman:

Operated tracked equipment for decades on picturesque mountains with dangerous gradients, with finesse and style.

Replaced excavator run off tracks over 25,000 times.

Felled trees whose diameters were taller than said Newman.

Sheared more sheep than there are people in Montana.

Rebuilt "knackered" crawler undercarriages with nothing but a Lincoln buzz box and determination. 

Drove Mack trucks and Ford pickups to the envy of all of New Zealand. 

And now a new one:

Been mistaken for a powerful wizard. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...

This turned out better then I thought but I was hoping for better.  

Christmas Eve service in my little country church with candles in the windows.

KIMG1336.JPG

• Like 14

Took out a load of manure and was checking another field to see how wet it was and came up on a young hawk feasting on a pigeon I was about 20ft away and it acted like I wasn't there until I went to leave and it flew off pigeon carcass in tow 

Screenshot_20231224-1423222.thumb.png.619aab5ae334d021b2a47f2cdab04536.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how awesome this is but it sure got my attention

Missus an me went to Rapid City SD Wednesday.

Coming from home saw this sitting on about the State line.

Freezing fog and we were in it all day all the the way there and back, bout 160 miles up there.

IMG_20240103_082926290.thumb.jpg.7047986877069176a73c3a60e2d39a64.jpg

IMG_20240103_082933178.thumb.jpg.daf6023e7020f567904603fd8831cdb6.jpg

And this was the front of my pickup the next morning

IMG_20240104_090904026.thumb.jpg.834fb7d2982c118b652b2b1f777c3eb7.jpg

And a little hoarfrost from the event

IMG_20240101_091158284.thumb.jpg.bf4f8497f5308dc464c6c255e95171b2.jpg

• Like 7

On 11/24/2023 at 8:02 PM, mike newman said:

Mike

that yellow bird is the husband for sure 

• Haha 6

On 12/2/2023 at 2:34 AM, TN Hillbilly said:

Notable achievements of M. Newman:

Operated tracked equipment for decades on picturesque mountains with dangerous gradients, with finesse and style.

Replaced excavator run off tracks over 25,000 times.

Felled trees whose diameters were taller than said Newman.

Sheared more sheep than there are people in Montana.

Rebuilt "knackered" crawler undercarriages with nothing but a Lincoln buzz box and determination. 

Drove Mack trucks and Ford pickups to the envy of all of New Zealand. 

And now a new one:

Been mistaken for a powerful wizard. 

@TN Hillbilly.....sigh

....modesty   has precluded me from responding ...untill  now...:D.......yes...we  may  have touched on those items in a very modest way...but clearly    TNHbilly...you have considerably   overstated the issues.....:unsure:\

....now , I know you blokes grow all sorts of 'beans ''     over there in the Lower 48......do you grow what we call ''Broad Beans "  ????...because , one of my more memorable  and remarkable  attributes,...   is that I love eating Broad Beans,    'specially  if they  have been cooked in butter !!!!!....and ....most folks I know go  ''Arghh''   about those beans...and hate the bloody things  !!!  Not me ..I love 'em !!!

...and  I haven't got around to fixing the old Cook's  big calf shelter   after the wind blew it arse over kite ....and she has just finished rearing   120 odd calves......and is not favourably disposed to me over this  unfortunate oversight.......

So, TN Hillbilly, thankyou for those  stunning  accolades...but really  I am just another two bit excrement kicker.....like anyone else ..;)....and it gets worse.......my extended  Family  think I have yet to ''grow up '' ...as they ponder my   continued  fascination  with steel tracks......:mellow:

Mike

......and old Lever Rifles.......

• Like 11