The awesome picture thread

lorenzo

Received five pot loads of pairs this morning 

Waiting on the crew to get here to go to grass with them.

Nice and cool in the breeze on top while I wait

IMG_20230601_133244250_HDR.thumb.jpg.310bc7e757070d8e3915fe5076b607de.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

D55C6DD1-ACD6-4867-9F8E-F68BBC27387D.thumb.jpeg.4f53bdc2f0ac41fd4cf4288c50f6b10e.jpeg

...I think, Lorenzo......on behalf of the members on here, who are hard of hearing...this picture requires  some  further explanation......TIA

Mike

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...I think, Lorenzo......on behalf of the members on here, who are hard of hearing...this picture requires  some  further explanation......TIA

Mike

A416D454-6439-45D8-966F-708A0DDBD299.thumb.jpeg.7d7fa7aa57e97c4c0c2429b96483c969.jpeg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Mike

Feeding the squirrel with a marionette?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 1:18 AM, mike newman said:

...three pics of the ''Milky Way ''

...rather neat !!...all over NZ

Mike

1685506006968milky way.jpg

milky-way-rising-over-stony-rive-1c4f14f1 mikly way 2.jpg

1685506006968milky way 3.jpg

Are these regular shots or a special effect filter of some kind?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, just Dave said:

Are these regular shots or a special effect filter of some kind?

...just ''time   lapse''  taken by dedicated  amateur  photographers...to try and capture the effect of the Southern Lights in three different parts of NZ

Mike

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...just ''time   lapse''  taken by dedicated  amateur  photographers...to try and capture the effect of the Southern Lights in three different parts of NZ

Mike

We were night diving in Fiji and saw an amazing display of that.  It was just as bright as your photos but dont remember seeing that color. It was truly breath taking.

Were headed to Bora Bora next, hope to see it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

Wouldn’t that thing auto correct and get back on course?  

...No....that was a very effective tactic to minimise   the devastating effect  of a 'successful'  hit on the  cities....

Mike

• Like 3

Pretty tough to catch, just gives you more appreciation for what those guys did for us and the skills they selflessly provided 

• Like 7

On 6/12/2023 at 1:38 PM, stronger800 said:

Wouldn’t that thing auto correct and get back on course?  

Guidance wasn't that advanced yet.  I think they launched them on a certain course and they flew for a set time and shut down to crash.  Change its course and it continues in the new direction.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Howard_P said:

Guidance wasn't that advanced yet.  I think they launched them on a certain course and they flew for a set time and shut down to crash.  Change it's course and it continues in the new direction.

..adding to that, Howard...the Hawker ''Tempest '' was the aircraft that really got after those ''flying bombs''.....got some great pictures in one particular  ''Aircraft '' book  that I have...

Mike

• Like 2

On 6/12/2023 at 12:31 PM, sandhiller said:

Spitfire wing tipping a V1 to knock it off course.

352242372_819769722414794_1012612280131421453_n.jpg.f2d28ae63b27e8194c771ce9fac14d53.jpg

I had to read up on the v1 I was unfamiliar with them. Found this bit from Wikipedia interesting. 79 years ago today.
 The Wehrmacht first launched the V-1s against London on 13 June 1944,[6]one week after (and prompted by) the successful Allied landings in France. At peak, more than one hundred V-1s a day were fired at southeast England, 9,521 in total, decreasing in number as sites were overrun until October 1944, when the last V-1 site in range of Britain was overrun by Allied forces. 

• Like 1