The awesome picture thread

lorenzo

Pratt and Whitney R-2000 from the experimental Vought SF5U Flying Pancake, US Navy Fighter Plane 1945

1193092605_awesomepandw.jpg.79491da4f4d4aefa94d3d249339122ed.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Pratt and Whitney R-2000 from the experimental Vought SF5U Flying Pancake, US Navy Fighter Plane 1945

1193092605_awesomepandw.jpg.79491da4f4d4aefa94d3d249339122ed.jpg

1291475541_dogheadtilts.jpg.03adc67c021bd340d25747c87e0f23c8.jpg

😄 

To me, the inner workings of a radial engine is pretty amazing

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

1291475541_dogheadtilts.jpg.03adc67c021bd340d25747c87e0f23c8.jpg

😄 

To me, the inner workings of a radial engine is pretty amazing

Amazing indeed!  I didn’t know they twisted the pistons on every stroke to line up to the valves. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mike newman said:

...now you are talking. Bro...:wub:

Careful Mike, your linguistic gymnastics are gonna land you in jargon jail over in the My Rant for Today Thread. 

He says with a sly grin and a chuckle...................😉     😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

Amazing indeed!  I didn’t know they twisted the pistons on every stroke to line up to the valves. 

The pistons and connecting rod travels normally but the sleeves rotate and open and close the ports

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finished planting last Wednesday, was supposed to shower but it held off.

IMG_2780.thumb.jpeg.6edc742f5411c162830f79fc27cb0407.jpeg

• Like 13

On 6/18/2022 at 5:41 AM, mike newman said:

...picture from the road, heading in to Milford Sound   South Island  NZ

milford-road19-4096x2379drive to milford.jpeg

Are you taking these pictures, Mike?  Absolutely stunning!

On 6/20/2022 at 11:27 AM, TN Hillbilly said:

Are you taking these pictures, Mike?  Absolutely stunning!

Short answer, No !!...my old Canon lense is getting a bit like  me...won't extend anymore....:o......and it has  done too many mile s bouncing around in excavators /lunch boxs and on the Ute floor...

So, these are taken by a Lady..who loves the outdoors, per se, and I have been down hunting in this area, several  times...including taking an  American hunting in this area...I have lots of great pictures,taken with an early Pentax  Reflex camera....But yet to get those pictures on this format... Smart money is going in the Winter  months, via Fishing boat....because the Tasman Sea is surprisingly quiet in the Winter Months....generally !!

There are many, big sounds like this..although  Milford  Sound has good road access, via a  tunnel   through the mountains...thus it is very popular  with tourists..(or was before the Red Queen shut our show down for two years.....)

Here is another....'ad nauseum '     Top is  Milford Sound   t'other is Doubtfull Sound...remember the average rainfall down there is 400  inches   per annum...so you have to pick your day for photography

Mike

(BTW...There are two States within the US that the old Cook and I really loved...Montana  and Tennessee )

milford-fly-cruise-9-4096x2304  falls milford.jpeg

doubtful-sound-256-059-4096x2563 doubtfull sound.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would think the fishing would be good where fresh water flows into the sea

400" is a crazy amount of rainfall, rare day to see the sun

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hardtail said:

I would think the fishing would be good where fresh water flows into the sea

400" is a crazy amount of rainfall, rare day to see the sun

..one trip   a Kiwi Mate and I did, we never bothered to shoot a deer.....but as the Skipper of the Fishing boat  had given his 8ft clinker built  dingy to use, and as we had made a 'Fiordland  Rain Proof " camp, at the very head of George   Sound, when down at our    (that mentioned ) base camp, it was just a matter of heaving out a few fishing lines , and hauling in 'blue cod'.... (Thus we never needed fresh  'red ' meat...) Cooking them half an hour later..it dosen't get much better than that...as did seeing the sun rise over the Fiordland Mountains one morning, after  camping waaaaay   up on one of the many ''leading ridges''....Great experience, that sort of thing.....something the so called  ''citidiots''   (oft mentioned on this site.....with zero affection..think  "'Art  from Coleman " )....something that not that many folk see....

Different strokes, I guess....................:)

Mike

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mike newman said:

..one trip   a Kiwi Mate and I did, we never bothered to shoot a deer.....but as the Skipper of the Fishing boat  had given his 8ft clinker built  dingy to use, and as we had made a 'Fiordland  Rain Proof " camp, at the very head of George   Sound, when down at our    (that mentioned ) base camp, it was just a matter of heaving out a few fishing lines , and hauling in 'blue cod'.... (Thus we never needed fresh  'red ' meat...) Cooking them half an hour later..it dosen't get much better than that...as did seeing the sun rise over the Fiordland Mountains one morning, after  camping waaaaay   up on one of the many ''leading ridges''....Great experience, that sort of thing.....something the so called  ''citidiots''   (oft mentioned on this site.....with zero affection..think  "'Art  from Coleman " )....something that not that many folk see....

Different strokes, I guess....................:)

Mike

And that is why any time a "citidiot" askes me how I can live out in the middle of nowhere with no walmart, oxygen bar, and frappy latty googly moogly ice cream coffee shake shack on every corner. 

I tell them it is a hard life and they would not like it, stay where you are at and don't even think about coming out here. 

I will make the sacrifice of keeping this part of the country settled😉     😏     😄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

And that is why any time a "citidiot" askes me how I can live out in the middle of nowhere with no walmart, oxygen bar, and frappy latty googly moogly ice cream coffee shake shack on every corner. 

I tell them it is a hard life and they would not like it, stay where you are at and don't even think about coming out here. 

I will make the sacrifice of keeping this part of the country settled😉     😏     😄

That’s what I think. Out of the ones that do dare to try it here, a lot of them find it too hard and end up selling and going back where they came from. Surprisingly a few of them learn enough to do well and fit in after a few years 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

My attention span would not allow me to do that work

I do not know how someone in a factory, or on an assembly line can stand there for hours, days, years, doing the same thing.  And those repetitive jobs, and the boredom that has to go along with it, well, just the thought, is mind-numbing.

They do earn their pay.

• Like 3